Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ground Troops

Originally posted by pchang
    My defenders have tanks and those battlebot things, but I have never been able to invade using tanks or those battlebot things. Is there any way to load up tanks or battlebots in an invasion force?
    No, your transports only carry Marines.

They're one of the reason's I like telepathic. You need an awful lot of Marines against tanks/battlebots.
    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Re: Re: Ground Troops

Originally posted by Thoth

No, your transports only carry Marines.

They're one of the reason's I like telepathic. You need an awful lot of Marines against tanks/battlebots.
      Depends--the ground combat bonuses appear to impact more than one might think, and powered armor can make up for a hell of a lot.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Telepathic is a killer pic.

Yeah...you can have maxed out combat-mods, and powered armor, and plasma-Rifles, and slaughter my marines.

But I throw a cruiser above, and take em out.

For only 4 pics(6-2 for the ground combat)

Additionally, you get a spying and diplomatic bonus. Now if only spying was useful....
        I dunno. I think nukes are cool..If you're the only one who has em.

Comment

I have played MOO2 since the day it came out and each new patch, but the spying business never worked for me, maybe I did not try hard enough. I play Hard mostly and a rare impossible (not as much fun, more work). I create spys on planets when they have built all of the currently available structures. Often when I get a new item and build it I make another spy, but not on all planets. The point is after awhile I have a lot of spys, but I seem to never steal anything. Funny thing is I had often dropped the universe down to one planet, with 2 population and they are still able to steal from me? I may have 50 spys by that time. If I have the Darklor governor it is less likely as he assasinates them. Is there something I should be doing to get spies working? In MOO, spying was an intergral part and I needed it to catch (especially on impossible level).

Comment

I never paid much attention to my scores, but I once ran it 98xx. I can not recall what the level was or the size. Normally on a medium/hard it is 3500-4000 range. The way to jack up the score (no cheating) is :
            1: do not use all of the selection points
            2: do not allow win by vote
            3: do not end the game until you have at least finished two levels of advanced tech
            Those are easy if you hold off killing the last planet.
            I normally do not bother with anatarians in the game, they end up being just a waste of time once you been there done that.
            4: On my max score effort if went ahead and built planets from the gas planets.
            5: Set planets that are not done yet to housing as soon as you can get away with it to get max population. Grab and populate every planet that you can stand to handle till you get to 3rd level of tech or so, even out to 4th level (adds days) is still better than ending sooner. I normally do not item 4 or 5 as it is laborious.
            since the last patch at small/hard I rarely eliminate the first race, but I do all of the others. Before the patch I could.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
              I have played MOO2 since the day it came out and each new patch, but the spying business never worked for me, maybe I did not try hard enough. I play Hard mostly and a rare impossible (not as much fun, more work). I create spys on planets when they have built all of the currently available structures. Often when I get a new item and build it I make another spy, but not on all planets. The point is after awhile I have a lot of spys, but I seem to never steal anything. Funny thing is I had often dropped the universe down to one planet, with 2 population and they are still able to steal from me? I may have 50 spys by that time. If I have the Darklor governor it is less likely as he assasinates them. Is there something I should be doing to get spies working? In MOO, spying was an intergral part and I needed it to catch (especially on impossible level).
              The patch v. 1.31 withdrawed all the usefulness of spying. It's just wasting production now. It's really frustrating to see what was once an extra parameter in our strategy to look at has now been removed from play.
              "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
              Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
              Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
              Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

I have not noticed any problems with spying

I usually take telepathic and +10 spy, the only time I will get techs stolen is if they do it before I get any spies built or if I only have one or two. When I am not creative I need this to get all the extra techs, I don't count, but I expect that I will steal at least 20 techs in a game. I steal more than I take through conquest.

I usually have between 8-10 on defense and I use 4 to steal tech. I play on impossible or hard.
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Well, I was talking about spying on MP games.
                  It's really useless. Against the AI it's active, but against a human, you basically never steal anything. just lose spies.
                  "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                  Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                  Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                  Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

I found the best overall weapon is phasor. Add in autofire and shield piercing, together with Archilles Targeting System, High Energy Focus, and Structural Analyzer, and you have a killer weapon.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

In a all human MP game that could be a problem, but in a 2 human MP game spying is sweet. You can still steal from the AI, but you have a decent chance of framing the other human! I have done that and had it done to me.
                      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I prefer the plasma cannon with high energy focus. It is powerful and has the best sound effects.

Comment

Working...
                        X