I still play Master of Orion 2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GodSpawn View Post
    I've just started playing this again. I got a Nexus 7 for Christmas, and I've installed a DOS emulator with which I've installed MOO2.

It works just great, the only thing is the screen is of course fairly small, so moving the cursor around requires a little accuracy. I think it'd probably be a lot easier on a 10" tablet. In any case, I have no difficulty using it, and it's great being able to play MOO2 on something I carry around with me!
    Hmm interesting, i also got a N7 recently and have been contemplating putting moo1, moo2, and Xcom on it. Which emulator did you go with?
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
      Hmm interesting, i also got a N7 recently and have been contemplating putting moo1, moo2, and Xcom on it. Which emulator did you go with?
      I used DosBox Turbo (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eC5kb3Nib3giXQ..) which cost me £0.99

I had to fiddle with the settings a little - I decreased the "mouse" sensitivity to make it easier to click on things. I also had to turn off the "experimental" sound settings.

To install it, I first copied all the files from the MOO2 CD into a root folder on the Nexus 7. Then, using DosBox Turbo, I used DOS commands to CD to that folder and ran INSTALL.EXE (not SETUP.EXE which is for Windows). After installing, there was a new folder called MPS containing a folder called ORION2. Inside there is SETSOUND.EXE and ORION2.EXE.

You have to run SETSOUND first to set up the sound first (the default SoundBlaster 16 is the thing to use). Then just run ORION2.EXE to play the game.

It works great for me on my Nexus 7 at least.

Comment

Nice, thanks.

I was looking at using this one too.

Did you fiddle with DosBox Turbos configuration manager (free download) so that you could launch multiple games and configurations?

The hard one will be moo1 which runs off the CD and has manual look-up copy protection. I had it running in the PC version of Dosbox.
        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
          Did you fiddle with DosBox Turbos configuration manager (free download) so that you could launch multiple games and configurations?
          I haven't tried that yet - going to soon though! I guess I'll then be able to set up an autoexec.bat file to run the game automatically, so I can launch it without typing into a DOS prompt.

Comment

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger today and bought DosBox turbo. Wish I had done it a few days earlier as the price was $1.49 but today it was $3.49

After I figured out how to use it, the manager makes for 1 click launches. All you need to do is go to the advanced configuration and finish off the autoexec.bat file (unlike the PC version which requires fiddling with the config file, the end result would be the same though, but the manager interface makes it easier to configure full screen and touch mouse.

I was able to get moo1 working even though it required the original CD, which was no problem since i just created an iso of my CD and mounted it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	9094429

Now on to Moo2 and Xcom

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

It plays, but I would recommend a 10" screen as some of the buttons are too small for my fat fingers. I might try a stylus to see if that will help. Xcom was near unplayable on such a small screen.

Comment

I would have that problem as well. it looks larger in screenie and quite clear.

Comment

Ha, keep in minds that is the opening menu. Once you have to start picking ships next to planet, etc. it gets a little difficult.

Comment

I still do~~~. Love it!

Comment

I used to play a little and I can't say any bad words about it. The game was fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X