No announcement yet.

I still play Master of Orion 2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still play, but it goes in streaks, play alot, then take time off for other things (games, eBay, RL). Still a classic game and one of my favorite of all time.

Comment

I couldn't get into Gal Civ either, but I got 2 recently and it's quite good. I should play Moo2 again though. They don't make games like that anymore
      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I have GC2 now and will get to it pretty soon.

Comment

I play Lost Empires: Immortals lately. Unfortunatly its more like Moo3 than Moo2 :/

(Also this is used to top a non-Moo3 Thread)
          Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

in the end, my bro' found me GAL CIV2 .. and well..is the same old game.. civilization style.. but with much improvement in graphics (amazing) and playability/ergonomics..
            And something is also customizable, as u can change icons for races and their charts simply editing an XML file.

But.. when i'm in the mood to light on the old pentium III 450, Master of Orion II is still one of my favourite games !

Comment

Moo2 plays on 3gh+ machine just fine. You may run into the stuck mouse issue, but that can be fixed. I use Mo'slo now for M002.

Comment

I played a really nice game of MOO3 last year. I was playing a large spiral galaxy, and after subduing 2 of the other races I ran into one of the people eating races. They had started out in their own arm of the galaxy, had consumed a couple of other races, and so had grown into a worthy opponent. I spent most of the rest of the game gradually grinding them down and pushing them back.

With MOO3 you have to be prepared to give up certain aspects of MOO2 that you may have enjoyed. You have to give up control of planet development and research. For many of us old MOO fans that's a lot to give up.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I play MOO2 and SMACX on my 3gh XP machine without problems, the interception bug still exists on SMACX however.

vmxa1, what is your opinion of GalCiv 2?

Comment

Well I played GalCiv for a month, but finally decided I did not love it, but it was ok.

I got GC2 and played a bit, just did not get into it, but did like some of the battles.

I have Dark Avatar as well and have not been able to get into. I also have had many issues with the installation and updating. It took several techs to final get it to update and now it won't do it again.

Some of it was due to they had me with two accounts. Anyway it looks great and if you can get up a decent battle they are cool.

I used to love SMAC, but I lost it about two relocations back. I still have the SMAX book by Chris. He is still around here working on his Candle Bre or what ever the name is.

Comment

I am playing MOO2 all the time. Sometimes the mouse gets stuck when I click the refit button and have to select a ship. But I don't mind. The game is just so incredibly fun!
                      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I use MoSlo and it works fine for the stuck mouse.

Comment

Have you ever played Endless Space?

I loved Masters of Orion II from the second an older gamer handed it to me when I was in Highschool back in 2005... Great game! A shame Masters of Orion III did not live up to it.

I recently tried Endless Space, a 2012 release by an independent developer... It's a quite fun, and the closest game I have found yet to Masters of Orion II. Combat can be a bit wonky to get used to, but the empire management is very Masters of Orion II-esque.

I wrote a full review on my blog, but the forum setup prevents me from posting a link at the moment since I just signed up.

Wow... Just realized I was missing the dates on this post. Way to bring up a post from 4 years ago, huh?
                          Last edited by sdneidich; December 8, 2012, 11:24. Reason: Added a note.

Comment

Yes I have Endless Space and it is not bad. You could put in a link, just not a hyper one. IOW www DOT urlname DOT com. Not to o hard to cut and paste into the browser.

Comment

I've just started playing this again. I got a Nexus 7 for Christmas, and I've installed a DOS emulator with which I've installed MOO2.

It works just great, the only thing is the screen is of course fairly small, so moving the cursor around requires a little accuracy. I think it'd probably be a lot easier on a 10" tablet. In any case, I have no difficulty using it, and it's great being able to play MOO2 on something I carry around with me!

Comment

The faster processors made the Orion95 suffer for cursor movement. I used to use Mo'slo for it as the cursor would often stick. The Dos version did not have that issue as it was typically used under an emulator like DosBox. Then you could set the speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X