Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moo Remake in a different Way

Originally posted by Earthworm
    One of my recent projects required a new e-mail driven database front-end to be written, basically the ability for the database to receive e-mails and act on them, and then e-mail reports based on results or other triggers.
    Wouldn't that be an open invitation to trojans?
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Applications, unlike users can be trained to *not* open email attachements named "anna kournikova naked.jpg.exe"

That said, security still has to be addressed somehow.
      Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Bongo is correct, the application only acts on programmed key words within the e-mail. It does not execute attached .bat files, or other attachments, and only executes those commands that I have programmed it to understand. So the system remains secure, especially since the only access users see is the e-mail, there is no direct access to the base database by the users.

It is even more secure than a client software package.
        Law of 5th Contingency - "If your 4th contingency has failed, there is no point in checking your 5th. Just accept the world is out to get you." -Earthworm

Comment

Some trojans and viruses don't even need to use attachments anymore. Some need only an active preview window. The code could also attack smtp or even use its own email engine.
          (I'm a network engineer, not a hacker/cracker. )
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
          X