MOO2 General tips and pointers, specific play advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO2 General tips and pointers, specific play advice

Just thought I'd make a thread for you experienced old timers to impart some wisdom.

While I can beat the AI on impossible sometimes when the chips fall my way, usually I find I'm coming second in every game I play. I'll be taking on other races fine, until the superpower race decides to end my fun with 50 titans or so, be it Sakkra, Psilon, or most frequently, Silicoid.

I've been trying some of the play styles i've read about on this board, ie just sitting on home planet researching then exploding outwards.
    I found this worked really well and I took down the whole klackon empire in no time, but by the time I met the silicoid they had some absurd amount of population, so even with all my research power they were still ahead of me in tech.

Most of you vets have no trouble with the AI on impossible, so... lets hear some hints/secrets

What do you mean by the chips fall my way. If you you mean that when you get a crappy start, you lose, I submit that is the norm for anyone.

Got no other planets in you home system, the nearest one has only two tiny or small and they are toxic? Klacs and Sakkra are on each side of you?

You got problems.

If you mean, that you have a good home system and there are some good system near you, then winning is not too bad.

So if you find you have good starts and stil get into trouble at times, what is the race you are using. What is the tech path you pick. Are you having trouble with combat or getting enough systems?

What is the universe that you play in? Is it huge or small? How many players? Do you use settign that compliment you race?
    IOW if you are tolerant, do you take mineral rich?

So give us some particulars for a typical game.

Comment

attack really fast so it does not happen. Mirv nuke cruisers do wonders. Also if they are at war with you they send ships at you 1 at a time(provided you knocked off their initial buildup, which is easier the eariler you are into the game).

Comment

I always play 8 players, imposs, huge.
        Either pre-warp if i'm research or average if i'm industrial.

The problem I find is that I'll be going along fine, winning battles, researching well, etc, then whichever race is leading will attack me with absolutely overwhelming force and the game will end.

Interesting to note that bad starts on imposs give experienced players trouble, I was under the impression, given that some of you can win with -10 picks, you could win with pretty much any start.

The race I played last time was:
        Creative, Artifacts, Democracy, LHW, Repulsive, -ve ship A/D

Just turtled and tech'd, was all going fine, was second in all fields until the Silicoids destroyed me.

Next run i'll probably play a UniTol and see how that goes. I prefer tech to industry.

Comment

Who, I had had little interaction with this race until they were already very strong, they never sent individual ships after me i'm afraid, just 50 titans at my homeworld :\

Do I need to identify the powerful race and try to nip them in the bud early on?
          I usually look for weaker races I can overwhelm rather than going after the strong guys.

Comment

also the best way to win impossible is to pick the super race(tm).

any of the production races listed here are good, anything with lithovore is probably good.

you need to be able to get the ships out and fight. In our DG our creative research race started next to the silicoids, and life sucked for a while, we lost vela, but were able to keep his fleet down due to attrition, and have been able to turn the tide with superior designs(it also helps that he hasn't stolen armor and computers from someone else, sometimes that happens and the super ai production race is a paper tiger). I'll do the next turn on monday, I wish you guys participating in the dg had posted in the poll thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AvA_Majestic

The problem I find is that I'll be going along fine, winning battles, researching well, etc, then whichever race is leading will attack me with absolutely overwhelming force and the game will end.

Interesting to note that bad starts on imposs give experienced players trouble, I was under the impression, given that some of you can win with -10 picks, you could win with pretty much any start.

Just turtled and tech'd, was all going fine, was second in all fields until the Silicoids destroyed me.

Next run i'll probably play a UniTol and see how that goes. I prefer tech to industry.
              Winning with -10 picks for me is just a get the right start situation.

Comment

Who, I had had little interaction with this race until they were already very strong, they never sent individual ships after me i'm afraid, just 50 titans at my homeworld :\

Do I need to identify the powerful race and try to nip them in the bud early on?
                I usually look for weaker races I can overwhelm rather than going after the strong guys.
                if they don't start next to you then obviously it won't work, but if they do start next to you, and war is unavoidable, prepare, get some mirv nuke cruisers, and try to kill their ships as they make them.

Comment

We were more at the "they've captured orion and have xentronium" stage :b

Comment

yea, thats not good.

Comment

First, I can't speak for others, but I will have to have a super start to win with only neg picks at impossible.

Your race looks to be good. When do you move out? I like to get the HEF and Deep Core stuff and then refit my battleships. I send 5 or 6 to Orion if I have found it.

Once that falls, I will probably refit my ships for any new tech, hopefullly X-armor.

Now I will expand. Since you have Loknar, you can see the universe. I locate all the fleets and see which ones are large.

If they have any large fleets that will be my first target. I should have maybe 9 or more ships by then and should be able to whack that large fleet.

Once there are no great fleets about, you do not have to fear a massive attack. You will be adding planets and ships from now on.

The AI will build a large fleet, I keep my eye out for them and take them out. Since they are losing planets along the way it gets harder for them.

I often will bomb out a number of their better planets as I cannot hold them all. I need my fleet to be out doing damage.

Comment

We were more at the "they've captured orion and have xentronium" stage :b
                        If they got Orion, you waited to long. By getting to some of the 3500rp tech I can refit my battleships (BB) and then hit Orion.

The AI will not have gotten to it by then in PreWarp game. If Orion has not been located, you should have gotten out some scouts and even outpost if needed.

The advance tech games are trickier, I have not played them in years, but if Psilons are in the game you can lose Orion.

This is because others will get some of the armor/comps and weapons they would not have had normally and be able to jump on it.

Avoid playing normal or advanced techs, until you are beating the AI regularly on prewarp.

Comment

Am playing at the moment, again I seem to be able to do the early game, but start to lose out in the middle.

I was turtling on my home planet, got 2 battleships with AF/AP Mass drivers, battle scan/inert, heavy armour, then took all 9 of the sakkra worlds without losing a ship.
                          went after the gnolam and took maybe half their planets

it was here it went downhill. I don't know if I was focussing too much on improving my colonies rather than building ships and tech, but I found myself behind on tech (Despite having a huge start) and the Gnolam allying with the Alkari, so i'm fighting a war on two fronts.

I should have way more production than them but somehow they're regularly churning out multiple fleets of battleships each.
                          I have twice as much population as the next player in the game, with robo/autofac/recyc/microlite, yet with only 4 planets to my 12 or so the gnolam appear to be outproducing me, let alone the alkari, and they're outteching me as well.

Not really sure how i've managed that....

Comment

Remember at Hard and Impossible the AI gets a researc and production bonus. They are also not limited to the standard number of racial picks. So look at what traits they have. It is not uncommon to see them with a +21 instead of our +10.

Anyway post a save.

Did you take those planets and hold them? Did you bomb out most of them? Do you have warp indictors on each system?

Are you looking for chance to trim their fleets? IOW catch 3-6 ships at a time, rather than all they have?

Did you get to Orion or did they?

Comment

Am playing at the moment, again I seem to be able to do the early game, but start to lose out in the middle.

I was turtling on my home planet, got 2 battleships with AF/AP Mass drivers, battle scan/inert, heavy armour, then took all 9 of the sakkra worlds without losing a ship.
                              went after the gnolam and took maybe half their planets

it was here it went downhill. I don't know if I was focussing too much on improving my colonies rather than building ships and tech, but I found myself behind on tech (Despite having a huge start) and the Gnolam allying with the Alkari, so i'm fighting a war on two fronts.

I should have way more production than them but somehow they're regularly churning out multiple fleets of battleships each.
                              I have twice as much population as the next player in the game, with robo/autofac/recyc/microlite, yet with only 4 planets to my 12 or so the gnolam appear to be outproducing me, let alone the alkari, and they're outteching me as well.

Not really sure how i've managed that....
                              Thats another thing, if you aren't repulsive, watch for alliances between people you are at war with, and people you have nap's with. demand that the nap guy break the alliance, they generally will.

Comment

Working...
                              X