Displacement devices suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement devices suck

I hate it when the ai gets these they are hideous.

Because of the way probabilities work, if you have 2 weapons, there is only a 49% both will hit,9% of the time neither will hit, and the rest of the time only 1 will hit. And it gets worse with the more weapons you have.

I notice that the ai really gets its money's worth with these things.

I never see the AI use these.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If a game lasts long enough on impossible, the psilons show up with craploads of doomstars with them.

Comment

BY that point, why not use Stellar converters? they never miss, and with Structural Annalysers and Achilles, if it is minimized enough one of your DM's could have 4 or 5 of them.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think you still get better bang with HV AF Disruptors even with the 33% missing.
          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

No it comes before that point, about the time you get plasma cannons miniaturized a bit for me, since those are all or nothing weapons(each subhit doesn't get its chance independently) it seems even worse.

Once you get 15 space disruptors then its only a problem in that 1 doomstar can't take out 100 ships anymore .

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
              I think you still get better bang with HV AF Disruptors even with the 33% missing.
              disrupters would rule all if they didn't take up so much space.

if the Psilon build a big fleet like that, just put as many AF, SP phasors as you can on a doomstar with the best targeting stuff you have, (ie rangemaster unit is nice for this) I usually put 10 360 AF SP phasors on also, just in case I end a turn uncloaked (happens sometimes, you kill 75% of their fleet and do something wrong) the smaller ships will certainly be singin the blues when if they fire on you.

throw on a phasing cloak, timewarp facil, and hyper-x. stick loknar or your best pilot in the ship.

if the enemy attacks you with the fleet, skip the turn. on the next turn, get somewhat close to their best ships, without appearing (figure up a line of sight and try to maximize the ships you will destroy without having to move again, this is usually in the middle or close to it)

you will need to have at least one phasor unshot at the end of your attack. so save one phasor somehow.

Decloak, you'll rape a quick 15 of their ships, then click wait. then click done.

you get another free turn. punk em out.

the ship does over 1000-1500 damage with ease, and more ammo to spare. stellar converter does like 2-3kish, so by far, the phasor ship is the best bang per buck. especially when it comes to owning an entire fleet with one or two ships. i never was a fan of those long battles. with this you come in looking for the knockout in round one ,no doubt.
              two of these ships wins any game. i usually put a cloaked doomstar in there with a stellar converter for planetary stuff.

try it out. once you switch to this you'll >never< use a death ray or a disrupter again. I consider this ship an overpowered exploit, almost.
              Last edited by Dunnagan; July 6, 2004, 13:34.

Comment

Why would anyone be worried about tactics if they have all the tech in the game and Loknar?

Why would I need doomstars, let alone cloaks and TWF. The AI will not be able to handle battleships. So everything is over powered by this point.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                  Why would anyone be worried about tactics if they have all the tech in the game and Loknar?

Why would I need doomstars, let alone cloaks and TWF. The AI will not be able to handle battleships. So everything is over powered by this point.
                  whoha said the ai had displacement devices, that's either the third to last, or second to last force field tech.

also, what would you put on a battleship to nullify a displacement device? there simply isn't enough space to put the weapons you'd need to do good damage. keep in mind if the ai is using displacement device, they most likely have hard shields. (of course if you had a 30 ship fleet of them, then that's a different ballgame.)

also note where I said 'if the Psilon send a large fleet against you' I thought that post was in this thread, I was mistaken. that comment was for the guy who was talking about how he always picked psilon so he didn't have to face their endgame fleet.
                  Last edited by Dunnagan; July 6, 2004, 14:50.

Comment

One way to prevent a problem with a large end game fleet (if that is a problem, I don't think it is) is to start smacking all fleets soon after you take down Orion.

Frankly I make my disrupter battleships and do not care what the AI shows up with. I just chew up anything they have, be it doomstars or titans.

I do not even look at their designs, I already know that my ships will not have any problems, even if out numbered.

As I have said many times, if I have tech for DS, I may make one for the purpose of destroying planets. I will mount one stellar to blow them up, so they cannot be colonized again.

If I have titan tech, I often get around (in a huge map only) to making one for each leader. This is so I can locate them quickly.

Many games I will not have either tech and only make battleships. They will normally only have reenforced hulls, stablizer, HeF, scanners as specials.

This lets me have more guns and still the AI rarely ever dust one. If they do so what? It is going to be replaced very soon.

Comment

The arguments for disruptors are when the ai shows up with class x hard shields.

1 heavy af disruptor has the damage output of slightly less then 3 heavy af sp phasors in that situation, and its only around 2x the cost.

Comment

Dunnagan I don't mean to seem like I am giving you a hard time. That is not what I am about. I am happy to have you aboard.

What I like to do is to ensure that players that come after do not think they need creative to win or that titans and doomstars are required.

If player want to play creative for fun, great. I do as well from time to time. If player want to make monster DS, great. I just want to be sure that new comers understand that is not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
                          The arguments for disruptors are when the ai shows up with class x hard shields.

1 heavy af disruptor has the damage output of slightly less then 3 heavy af sp phasors in that situation, and its only around 2x the cost.
                          My argument for disrupters are that you can use them for anything you encounter, the phasors cannot.

I don't care about damage counts as my ships will just keep pasting them until they are gone. So if some other weapon could do it a bit faster, I am not concerned.

I want to be able to send this fleet anyway and know it will not be stopped. It may be slowed down, but not stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

if I'm making an early phasor ship, I use rangemaster with AF,SP phasors only. although you lose out on some damage, you can fit twice as many phasors onboard. the rangemaster is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1

My argument for disrupters are that you can use them for anything you encounter, the phasors cannot.

I don't care about damage counts as my ships will just keep pasting them until they are gone. So if some other weapon could do it a bit faster, I am not concerned.

I want to be able to send this fleet anyway and know it will not be stopped. It may be slowed down, but not stopped.
                              that to.

Comment

Working...
                              X