MOO2 Speculation and Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some good ideas, Garth.

I liked the combat and mini ideas in MOO2.

Mini makes a lot of sense. When you make advances in tech, like in real world.... things get smaller.

Prime examples:

computers
    guns
    electronics
    engines
    etc.

keep ideas coming!
    Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

antarean attacks taper off a certain turn. i forget exactly, iirc 250-300, with almost none after 400.

if you want to capture them, the best way is with death rays, neutron beams, and troop transporters, but getting all that by turn 200-250 is not easy.

re-colonizing: a trick to use if you want to increase the suffering of a certain race and build fame points is to surrender your own planet to them, and then immediately take it back on the next turn almost intact. the best way is obviously with telepathy, but you can also do it by not building any ground unit buildings and sendnig in troops.

Comment

No bogus captures in scoring runs please.

Comment

I would also not allow blowing up their planets to AP them for better ones.

Comment

I much rather MoO 4 to be similar to the original than MoO 2. As somebody put it, the micromanagement reaches a plateau instread of keeps increasing.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

IMO all MoO2 needed to reduce micromanagement to tolerable levels was allowing the player to save build queues and when a new item is researched, say deep core mine, you could have a menu where you could just select on a list on which planets it should go into the queue.
              Most of the mm in MoO2 is queuing up buildings on colonized and conquered planets and when you have lots of planets and you research one of those "must build" technologies.
              But maybe that's just me.

Comment

Iasius, I completely agree. I first saw such management in an online game called Ferion, and later in Galciv. It's a very powerful tool for macromanagement and eliminates the tedious part of the game ...
                Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

Stars had method that allowed you to design a build queue as a template. It could be designated as the default for all new planets. You could alter it any time or alter any planets queue anytime.
                  You could use something like mine 20 factories 20 def 1 to keep a slow build up in mature planets. Saved a lot of hassle.

Comment

The other mm task from Moo2 was managing your workers. I always hated that if a planet had a surplus of food and your empire had a surplus of food a new citizen would often be created as a farmer giving me a huge excess of food.
                    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Excellent ideas, people!

I remember CTP's build queries. You could save an entire query, build EVERY building and structure in a city, then save THAT query. Start a new game, you can load up that query for every city.

Presto, no micromanagement.
                      Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

I think that was CPT2, but it has been a long time.

Comment

Actually both CTP and CTP2 have it

Comment

I just can't remember much about CTP. I played both games once and I remember the pulic works from II and that is about it.
                            I do remember the build queue in II.

Comment

Both had it and I still love it SO much easier..........But it was to good, so other's didn't use. Would have made users life to easy...no chance.......

Comment

"when a new item is researched, say deep core mine, you could have a menu where you could just select on a list on which planets it should go into the queue."
                                You hit the nail on the head so hard it started bleeding.

And introducing a "queue template" or a way of doing exactly what you said above is rather "easy"... Ironic isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X