No announcement yet.

MoO1 trying to run in XP, help !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garth the Apolyton ad takes 15 secs then the CPUID servers are v slow, it works but takes about a minute to load the page here in the UK. DL is swift.

Comment

I emailed it home from work so it will be there when I get home.
      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

a chap in nForcers HQ suggested this so I am passing it on, might works for some people, but it didnt work for me.

I have got DuneII to run on this setup, but that uses extended memory instead of expanded. However there is another glitch with the music on that though the unit voices work fine in most SB emulation modes !? (nForce2 uses soundstorm).

I think this chipset has a lot of kinks to work out.

Comment

My specs from CPUID

Athlon XP 2400+ 2Ghz

Epox MB, nForce2 Ultra 400, 512MB PC2700 RAM

Bios date is 3/5/2003
          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I had PC2700 in my current PC until I replaced it with pc3200, so I doubt if it is the problem.
            I have had AMD cpu's work, so I would suspect that nforce2 MB combo.

Comment

alglove on nForcersHQ Epox forum turned up this little gem

here is something to freeze your blood, Award have allegedly decided not to support EMS anymore. So if true all nForce2 boards will have problems and there is no work around.

newer PCs with an Award/Phoenix BIOS (this INCLUDES ALL nForce2 chipsets) will not be able to run MZX on Windows XP, XP SP1, 2000 SP3,4, 2003 because resource allocation was changed in these builds of windows and the BIOS no longer reserves the EMS base page frame address. No game requiring EMS will run on these configurations on these machines. There is no known fix at this time

Comment

That is nasty. I will have to be careful in the future about any new rigs.
                The funny thing is I have had two recent vintage motherboards for hyper threading and they both supported EMS.

Comment

Obviously it only concerns newer operating systems.
                  Try installing a partition with windows 98 SE.

I always have one on each of my computers, just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
                    My specs from CPUID

Athlon XP 2400+ 2Ghz

Epox MB, nForce2 Ultra 400, 512MB PC2700 RAM

Bios date is 3/5/2003
                    Garth, you were able to run MOO on your computer at work?

Comment

ljcvetko, I understand your incredulity, however...

Originally posted by boolybooly

I tried a win98 OEM bootdisk and a win95B bootdisk and in both cases, with both copies of the game ie vmxa1's as well as mine it gave exactly the same 1024 EMS error message.
                      I also have an installation of WinME full OS on a different IDE on the same machine and that will not run MoO either. However WinME will run MoO on my P3 backup machine.

Comment

Man you guy are scaring me. oh well I will keep my Win98SE system for as long as it will last so I can always play all the games I have.

Comment

well it could be just me overlooking something, but I asked around and got confirmation its a problem so I am assuming its for real.

I had trouble running another game (Imperium Galactica 2) and found I had to reduce the page file to 300-450 Mb to get it running (which puzzles me, but it works and some people need to go down to 200 for some reason). (I checked on MoO again after I got this running but no luck.) I employed the same methods of googling it (hasnt that got a bit unreliable lately?) and then doggedly working through the links and came up with the fix in a few minutes, not so for MoO, but maybe JavaMoO will plug the gap !

I like having new toys but I dont like it when they stop me playing with my old toys

Comment

Originally posted by boolybooly
                            well it could be just me overlooking something, but I asked around and got confirmation its a problem so I am assuming its for real.

I had trouble running another game (Imperium Galactica 2) and found I had to reduce the page file to 300-450 Mb to get it running (which puzzles me, but it works and some people need to go down to 200 for some reason). (I checked on MoO again after I got this running but no luck.) I employed the same methods of googling it (hasnt that got a bit unreliable lately?) and then doggedly working through the links and came up with the fix in a few minutes, not so for MoO, but maybe JavaMoO will plug the gap !

I like having new toys but I dont like it when they stop me playing with my old toys
                            If it's page file on windows 98 or ME than the problem is with the lack of memory because of the way virtual memory is functioning in these operating systems.

Comment

A friend of mine has got nForce2 chipset and I am going to run exhaustive tests on his computer one of these days. Who knows, I may find a solution to this problem

Comment

good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X