No announcement yet.

You call yourselves MooII players?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A duel tends to be boring. 5 players in a large galaxy usually ensure early enough contact and variety

Comment

Originally posted by Brutalisk
      A duel tends to be boring. 5 players in a large galaxy usually ensure early enough contact and variety
      How long does it take to play a game like that. Do they ever continue to completion? I have played a lot of shooter type MP but not with a strategy game. How does the combat work?

Comment

Shooter-type MP? Not sure exactly what you mean by that...

The combat works as normal. When played amongst friends we just chat while the others are fighting...

The only problem with combat has always been LAG and not the time we as players actually take...

MOOII is a great game but lacks a good server-client code.

Comment

Never played on-line, but have played many many games on a Lan..just recently my gaming friends and I have revived interest in this.

To me lame picks are...Repulsive and Creative. We didnt restrict these, but discouraged them. I think though we allow them since non of our group takes the same thing each game and it is nice to once in a while have the variety.

Other negatives are pretty easy to overcome as well....neg money...neg pop growth etc can early on be negated (or become not so significant)

Comment

"Creative" is not that good... I can easily beat creative races.

Repulsive is "lame" solely because its VICE is negated by the fact that you can talk with the other players anyway! Even if you couldn't talk to them IN the game you could chat with them on ICQ.

In MP mode repulsive should have other negatives or have far less negative points...

Comment

Originally posted by P-K
              PS : I am PK , not with "-"
              I know!
              "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
              Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
              Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
              Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Imho, repulsive is a huge advantage in mp, especially if there are computer players involved.

as everyone knows, on higher levels, cp's will attack you eventually for one of several reasons:

1. they don't like you. (admittedly, not much you can do here.)

2. you did something bad to them.

3. they think you did something bad to them, eg. you were framed by another race.

Repulsive makes you automatically immune to #3.

In terms of strategy, why not take repulsive? In mp, you will eventually be attacking eveybody else, so why give them a production/research boost or tech?

In terms of sp, I am also fond of repulsive, although i would estimate that i only play about 1:10 games as a repulsive race, for several reasons:

1. The challenge.

2. It is the easiest and fastest way to get to the -10 pick limit if i am going for a high scoring game.

3. It goes well with "killer strats" that use 20 picks.

4. Turtle mode: if i want to play a single system or planet for the fun of it, which undermines the defense argument listed earlier.

5. Everybody else is also repulsive, making non-repulsive actually a detriment (eg. you are throwing away 6 free picks.) Admittedly, the most i've ever seen in an 8 player game is 6. I don't think it's possible to have all 8 repulsive without an editor.

In summary, to answer the original poster, people who think repulsive is "lame" probably either have never tried it and/or failed miserably at it. At a certain point, you can take just about any picks and still win the game by changing your strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by da_hal
                  In summary, to answer the original poster, people who think repulsive is "lame" probably either have never tried it and/or failed miserably at it. At a certain point, you can take just about any picks and still win the game by changing your strategy.
                  Adding my oppinion to what you said, those kind of people actually never played with Repulsive in a Medium Galaxy with 8 players...
                  "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                  Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                  Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                  Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

"In summary, to answer the original poster, people who think repulsive is "lame" probably either have never tried it and/or failed miserably at it. At a certain point, you can take just about any picks and still win the game by changing your strategy."
                    Boys, are we retarded here? What I am saying is exactly the opposite:

REPULVISE IS LAME BECAUSE IT'S BLOODY EASY AND UNFAIR. READ MY MSG!!!!! before you post a reply! You are the third person that fails to understand a very clear and precice msg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's lame because it gives you SIX FREE PICKS. Hence why there was always an unwritten rule not to use it -> it makes things TOO EASY. TOO EASY TO GET -10 PICKS to use for other stuff, TOO EASY BECAUSE IT DOESN'T REALLY OFFER ANY NEGATIVE ASPECTS to the GAME. That's why it was awlays prohibited in MULTIPLAYER GAMES.

PK finally understood my point and now comes Da Hal NOT READING the previous msgs and spewing BULL****.

Thus my friend, players who USE REPULSIVE are players who seek -6 free picks, GET IT YET????? JEEZ

6 easy picks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET IT???? It AIN'T HARD TO PALY REPULSIVE, it's TOO EASY. THAT'S MY POINT. So your message shows to me you haven't udnerstood a SINGLE WORD I SAID!

Comment

Is it a personal insult to you if somebody disagrees with you? Let people play the game the way they want and you saying that you think repulsive is too easy and ufair in multiplayer is enough to express your opinion. The shouting etc. isn't necessary.
                      BTW, one doesn't automatically agree with you just because they read your post.

Comment

Iasius: read what teh guy said.

He THINKS I said lame -> meaning difficult to play

It's not about not agreeing. PK said he wants to play repulsive but aknowledged what i said about it being too easy.. did you see me bite his head off?

People can't udnerstand a simple message and come and post a critical reply... like that guy did just above. Read his post and see what I mean. (ofcourse he can play in his games as repulsive - duh!)

The reason I created this thread was not to impsoe myself on anyone and the only thing that pisses me off is people who read the msg and don't seem to udenrstand some very simple words... and on top of that they are critical of it!!

The guy came here saying more or less "only ****ty players can't play when they are repulsive" - read his summary. Whereas what I was saying is, repulsive it a LAME pick because it's too easy to play with as it doesn't really offer anything negative and gives you 6 picks to spend!

I could sympathise people not getting the first time around, but I've explained time and time again in this thread what I meant about "repulsive being lame".

And I changed my tone only to get the msg maybe a bit more clear... since the normal approach didn't do the trick.

Comment

As I said, it was one of the first "unwritten rules" in MOOII. Apparently the skill level here isn't high enough

Damn, it's so easy to stir trouble ...
                          One attempt to clarify. You seem to be saying that Repulsive is "lame" for MP and SP games. If so you do are wrong. You say that it is discouraged in MP, ok if you say so. You are correct it is a freebie in MP if allowed by the players.

Stiring touble is for childreen, having a dialogue is for adults.
                          Anyway the quote above and the post you have made as best as I can follow do not make it clear if you are only referring to MP.
                          If all you are about is trolling, then pardon me for contributing otherwise welcome aboard.

Comment

Come on guys ! Lets end this debate. Original moo contains repulsive as a free pick to choose or not to choose for everyone player. Lets not argue about it, cos it is there ! If we like it or not. I like to play games how they were made in original. So I enjoy my rep races

Instead of wasting time here lets play MOO! On kali ofcourse

Cheers !

PK

Comment

yep, your writing was unclear. if enough people say they didn't understand you, at a certain point, you have to stop blaming them.

What i read in your post was that you meant: lame -> no fun. I've had fun with it many times, as well as other players here. But, as you have clarified, you meant lame -> too easy. Therefore, in an edited response to your clarification:

Yep, any pick is too easy once you adapt your strategy to it.

You also critisized the 'experts' here about their views on repulsive (and as far as I've been reading this board, it's not that big a deal whether its taken or not) so when you criticize us for not reading carefully, you might want to stand outside of the greenhouse before you start throwing rocks.

Finally, your flame was rather lame (which, i mean in this instance: "not strong".) While your style of "biting people's heads off" might pass for literate in say Starcraft boards, you should understand that most of us here have been playing for over 20 years. Personally, i cut my teeth on prodigy and BBS's.

Alas, I ramble. To make a clear summary:

Dude, if 9 out of ten people think you are saying the exact opposite of what you meant, you need to put away the games and review your grammar.

Iasius: read what teh guy said.

He THINKS I said lame -> meaning difficult to play

It's not about not agreeing. PK said he wants to play repulsive but aknowledged what i said about it being too easy.. did you see me bite his head off?

People can't udnerstand a simple message and come and post a critical reply... like that guy did just above. Read his post and see what I mean. (ofcourse he can play in his games as repulsive - duh!)

The reason I created this thread was not to impsoe myself on anyone and the only thing that pisses me off is people who read the msg and don't seem to udenrstand some very simple words... and on top of that they are critical of it!!

The guy came here saying more or less "only ****ty players can't play when they are repulsive" - read his summary. Whereas what I was saying is, repulsive it a LAME pick because it's too easy to play with as it doesn't really offer anything negative and gives you 6 picks to spend!

I could sympathise people not getting the first time around, but I've explained time and time again in this thread what I meant about "repulsive being lame".

And I changed my tone only to get the msg maybe a bit more clear... since the normal approach didn't do the trick.

Comment

For one thing, you start a thread titled 'You call yourselves MooII players?!' If you don't want to impose on anyone that's exactly the wrong way to start. Following the logic of your first post you say nobody using repulsive should consider themselves a MooII player. Which to me is definately imposing your view on 'ours'.
                                Then you say it was only your intent to point out that repulsive is an easy pick (for free) in multiplayer.
                                Also, go visit the recent thread where we talked about what we'd consider the most difficult race choice, do you see repulsive listed there?
                                And you get on my nerves because you question the intelligence of another person because you think they couldn't understand your post. That means you assume anyone halfway intelligent would automatically assume your position.
                                I could imagine someone agreeing that if you pick repulsive you voluntarily refrain from talking to anyone, it's a different solution, one basing more on trust, but I would accept it.
                                Ad hominem is not a good way to argue.

^^ My last post for this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X