No announcement yet.

How do you get MOO1 to run in XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have my memory settings the same as vmxa1's in the properties setting, but I still get the "must have 1024K EMS" error.

Do I have to do anything with the autuexec or config like I did in the W98 days? I am using XP pro.
    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

No I only had to use a private NT file for MoM. not Orion.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
        I have my memory settings the same as vmxa1's in the properties setting, but I still get the "must have 1024K EMS" error.

Do I have to do anything with the autuexec or config like I did in the W98 days? I am using XP pro.
        The settings vmxa1 posted are certain to work if you haven't tempered with autoexec.nt or config.nt

To avoid any future trouble use the wizard procedure as per instructions in my post.

Comment

By the way vmxa1, I know you don't need it cause you have sound blaster card, but have you tried my procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by ljcvetko

The settings vmxa1 posted are certain to work if you haven't tempered with autoexec.nt or config.nt

To avoid any future trouble use the wizard procedure as per instructions in my post.

I haven't and they didn't. Maybe something I installed did. What is in your autoexec and config files?

I also went through your procedure and got the same message.
            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by ljcvetko
              By the way vmxa1, I know you don't need it cause you have sound blaster card, but have you tried my procedure?
              No, I don't have any games that have sound problem, even MoM. That was before I used SB. I was just using the motherboards AC97.

Comment

Garth, if you open the pif (shortcut) for Orion and look at the properties page. Select the program tab. Then advanced. This should point to the system root and then autoexec.nt and config.nt. If it does, then you are using the ones that came with the system. Well I guess you could have replaced those, but I doubt it.
                If you wanted to use private ones, then copy those into the directory for Orion and modify them. You then need to change the properties pages to point to the new ones.
                Last edited by vmxa1; September 28, 2003, 22:50.

Comment

Garth, do you have a copy of Moo from someplace like the Underdogs? I have run into a few people that could not get those versions to work in XP. It is very strange. I have gotten Moo to run in Dos, OS2. Win95/98/ME/NT and XP. I never had Win2000.
                  I have XP PRO SP1, but I had it running on XP PRO before the service pack.

Comment

I have a copy that was from the disks and that I have copied from HD to HD as I have upgraded.

Quite a while ago someone here had the same problem and I think something about my MB or processor aren't able to do this, but I don't exacty remember why. I suppose I could take Moo to work and try it on a different XP machine.

Although on the bright side that VDMsound did allow me to play Colonization!

Comment

Garth, can you post any relevant info on your computer configuration and the game itself (MOO version)? That might help. Also, upgrade your XP to service pack 1 if you haven't already.

You may also post your game here (zip it first). I'll try it on my computer to see what happens.

Or email the game directly to me.

Comment

I have run into some strange issues with a few games, that I am sure are hardware related.
                        I made a rig that had an AMD 1900+ with 9700 video card and AC97 on board sound. All my games worked. It ran XP PRO and then I added SP1 and it still worked.

I got this new rig with hyperthreading. It has 9800 PRO viceo card and ac97. All of a sudden Moo2 crashed all the time. Might and Magic 6/7/8 all would not run.
                        I replaced the on board sound with a SB. I got a replacement for the video (same brand) and replace one stick of mem. Now Moo2 works, with a some times sticky mouse. Might and Magic 6/7/8 still will not run.
                        So I suspect it is a MB issue, but I do not know. Moo1 worked in all cases.
                        I kept my older pc (Pent 1.7 GH) with Win98Se, so all these games work on it. It is just very strange.

Comment

Here was the thread with people having the same problem as me with no resolution http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=62954

When I get a chance I'll email the game to myself at work and try it here.

I have an AMD 2400 at home, I forget the complete MB specs. I did get moo to work with the dosbox emulator, but it was real slow. I think it was faster on my old 386 back in the day!

Comment

Garth did you try to configure it with no sound?

Comment

No, although since I am getting the memory message, and not an error with it starting but not running properly I figured it wasn't a sound problem.

Comment

I didn't really think so eother, but I could not remember which check came first.

Comment

Working...
                                X