Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to chose GalCiv or MoO3?

Hello!

I would like to buy galciv. or moo3. but I do not know what game is better. Please help me out with some advise.

Partly, it depends upon style. If you want to play a Civ-type game in space, get GalCiv. If not...and if you the type of gamer who doesn't mind a game that can take a while to really learn...then MOO3 might be more your style.

And MOO3 seems to be cheaper most places, too.
    If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Partly, it depends upon style. If you want to play a Civ-type game in space, get GalCiv. If not...and if you the type of gamer who doesn't mind a game that can take a while to really learn...then MOO3 might be more your style.

And MOO3 seems to be cheaper most places, too.[COLOR=deeppink]

What about you do you like Moo3? For me GalCiv and Moo3 has the same game style.

Comment

If you read online reviews of them I think you'll see that they're really quite different. Moo3 is on a much larger scale and expects you to be a bit hands-off on some of the details and focussing on the big picture. GalCiv is all about micromanaging all the little details.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

In a Civ-style game, you don't design your own ships, nor do you have any kind of tactical combat. You get those things in MOO3.

I play both styles of game, so it's more a matter of what I'm in the mood for at any given time.
          If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
            If you read online reviews of them I think you'll see that they're really quite different. Moo3 is on a much larger scale and expects you to be a bit hands-off on some of the details and focussing on the big picture. GalCiv is all about micromanaging all the little details.

Well, does it mean that Moo3 more boring then GalCiv? I realy what to enjoy the game and have fun, so what is your suggestion ? what game should I get to satisfy my demands?

Comment

Originally posted by shepmaks

Well, does it mean that Moo3 more boring then GalCiv? I realy what to enjoy the game and have fun, so what is your suggestion ? what game should I get to satisfy my demands?
              I ment want to enjoy the game and have fun

Comment

Originally posted by shepmaks
                I ment want to enjoy the game and have fun
                Depends on what you find enjoyable.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I would recommend buying MoO2 (not 3!) if you want fun ($ 9.99 at amazon.com). Unless you already know MoO2. And if you do, it makes the decision pretty easy.

If you like MoO2 a lot you prolly won't like MoO3 too much.
                  If you only thought MoO2 was so so or worse, you might like MoO3. Might not though.
                  Personally I think MoO3 is tedious. GalCiv is better, but not the bomb either (its just Civ in space, and worse than Civ for me because I prefer to play civ the isolationist builder way, placing and developing my cities most efficiently etc, and in Galciv all planets are sooo alike. I think its building/exploring part is boring. GalCiv strongest point seems to be the AI, but I tend to not want to have anything to do with the other races).

If you like Civilization, you might like GalCiv a lot. If you don't like Civilization, don't even bother thinking about GalCiv.

Lata
                  Krait
                  Last edited by krait23; July 2, 2003, 05:39.

Comment

I didn't like GalCiv, so I prefer MoO3 despite its imperfections. I know I'm in the minority though, so I refuse to tell you which one you should enjoy more
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Moo2 = excellent
                      Moo3 = excellent
                      Civ2 = excellent
                      Civ3 = excellent
                      GalCiv = good

Note: Moo2 & Moo3 may have similar names and the same game background, but the are totally different to play - unlike, say, Civ2 & Civ3 which are similar in style.

Comment

This is usually an impossible question to answer. What I find fun another may find intolerable.

GalCiv is closer to Civ2/3 than MOO3, but not much. MOO3 has more features, and is a bit more complex....mainly because the way it handles some things is different. I play both GalCiv and MOO3, and both are heavily modded to suit my tastes. I also recently purchased Reach For The Stars and am enjoying the heck out of it. Best $5 ive spent since a 3day liberty in Thailand back in my Navy days.
                        My advice is the following:
                        If you like strategy games, and in particular Space 4X, your absolute safest bet is Galciv. Straight forward, easy to learn, hard to master, great support, great community.

You wouldnt be making a huge mistake by getting MOO3, and if you had both...you may end up liking it better....but that is something we cant predict. We dont know your tastes and tolerance. My opinion is that GalCiv is just a more mainstream title.......does pretty much everything right, very little different.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                          I didn't like GalCiv, so I prefer MoO3 despite its imperfections. I know I'm in the minority though, so I refuse to tell you which one you should enjoy more
                          I'm with you on MOO3 and we both may possibly be in the majority, albeit a silent one.
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

GalCiv is a nice game and as others already stated it's easy to play right out of the gate.
                            If you're not sure it means you really have not done much investigating because MOO3 is such a completely different game.
                            The only thing they have in common is that they both take place is Space.
                            Altho MOO3 has less micro-managing it is much harder to comprehend and grasp.
                            I liked GalCav but eventually found it boring and just uninspiring..,, it plays too much like a board game.
                            MOO3 has more to offer,, you feel as if you're exploring.. but it still needs more patching..especially the diplomacy of the game. Some of the fan mods have really made it worthwhile tho..
                            Just my 2 cents

Comment

never get moo3!

Comment

Working...
                              X