Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those DAMN class 0 planets - what to do with them!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there another tech beyond Stellar Catography which highlights which planets are beyond class 0? As I recall, that was in GalCiv 1.
    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

I don't know if there was one in GalCiv 1, but I know there's NOT one in GalCiv 2.

Comment

I have discovered that, if you zoom the big map all the way out to the "Tactical View," Class 0 planets are displayed differently than non-Class 0 planets (and that colonized planets are displayed differently from non-colonized ones). I need to see if this is because I have "Eyes of the Universe" or whatever, though.

Thanks to other deficiencies in the UI (no way of finding or highlighting your star bases, no way of finding or highlighting anomalies or resources you have discovered but not yet explored, etc.) I find that I am playing most of the time with the main map zoomed all the way out to tactical view, which is kind of a shame, as it's not very pretty at all.

Comment

If you don't like so many class 0 planets then play around with the pregame settings. I usually play with stars being rare and habitable planets being abundant. This cuts down on the number of class 0 without there being an overflow of colonized planets.

Comment

Another solution would be to transform 0 planets into something useful. Then no one would complain

Experimention grounds with labs, repair docks, spying, mining, radioactive/whattever dump, Australia/Guyana-style prison...
            Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

simple fix for class 0 plantets:

turn them into a starbase-like unit, with upgrades provides from modules to add research or production modules (to simulate studying the planet or striping it of its vast resources) with a starport but ZERO population (spend money, but no taxes from it)

another thing that needs to be added is articifial planetoids: Big, expensive to produce, no military production on these, and # of buildable tiles deturmined by cost of planetiod

Comment

Micromanagement hell

Why this desire for some role for class 0 planets? Why this wish to add even more micromanagement clutter to the game?
                If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman to hear him... is he still wrong?

Comment

Re: Micromanagement hell

Originally posted by Lord of the Isles
                  Why this desire for some role for class 0 planets? Why this wish to add even more micromanagement clutter to the game?
                  For variety. They could serve another kind of role as opposed to juist being a literal waste of space which they are at the moment.
                  Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                  Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

The same with empty space

Comment

as for useing the vast empty space of space, why not have a sun generator at the top end of the tech tree (create your own systems) and planetoids (randomly create planet with quality 0 to x, with x increasing as the tech goes up and a limit of 6 planets to a star)

Comment

Working...
                      X