Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Masochistic Challenge - Have Fun! That's an Order.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Masochistic Challenge - Have Fun! That's an Order.

1st Masochistic challenge started.

(Competition ends in 9 June 2003 24:00 GMT)

Current Rules: (v 1.01)

1) Everyone fights, noone quits!

2) Have fun! That's an order.

3) Download this save of the 1st turn.Link
    Starting conditions was:
    Starting picks: War party (+50% HP), +1 Speed, +3 Soldiering, +20% HP
    Map: Medium, Scattered, Abudant
    AI: 5 Incredible Pure Evil AI
    Patch: 1.04.059

4) You must play a game with a patch 1.04.059 and bonuspack 1.07 installed. No mods, no editing or deleting any game files.

5) You must play your own game without the assistance of spoilers and other information that is not available to you as an individual player. Also, don't post AARs before end of competition.

6) 'Hardcore' or (another name) 'Ironman' game - so if you stop playing, you must save. Then you start playing again, must load from latest save. (So, no save-loading is allowed.)

7) Don't use bugs.
    For now, i know issue about population growth and almost free techs (second one is perhaps an exploit, also this is not a diplomacy-related one, so any diplomacy trades are fair under current rules). Save game every ~6 turns and keep the saves.

8) Everyone uploads http://apolyton.net/upload archive of a save of a last turn (register on Apolyton forums first to bee able to upload files), so that you need just press 'turn' button and you'll get victory screen. For defeat, save 1 turn earlier. Only one victory/defeat save per player. (Better turn autosave on then you're close to victory/defeat).
    Then, reply in this tread and place a link to your save in your reply (In the "View Files" (Upload -> Click "View" button) page there are links to all files you uploaded).

Upload zip archive (winzip can be foud here) containing your save (both GalCiv\Data\SaveGames\'SaveGameName'.sav file and GalCiv\Data\SaveGames\'SaveGameName' directory, there 'SaveGameName' is a name of your save).

Also, you may upload all intermediate saves too, but posting link to these saves is optional.

Competition ends in 9 June 2003 24:00 GMT, so post your saves before this time.

It may be a bad idea to post this game on metaverse - all games will have same key(pirate one, not mine ), and same game id. So i suspect that it will be a score 0 and anomalous difficulty.

9) Ranks will be:
    Winners - fastest wins first
    Other participants - slowest loses first
    Last edited by Ellestar; May 31, 2003, 09:59.
    Knowledge is Power

--Reserved for scores table--
    Knowledge is Power

Comment

Okay, got the save and am now going to play... Did you play it already? Who wins the competition when noone actually wins the game? The guy who survives the longest time?

Comment

I have a problem with my savegame!

I have overwrote my savegame in the very last turn, after my last planet was taken just before pressing enter.
        But that obviously does not create a valid savegame. (The Folder belonging to the .sav is empty)

I did not make saves inbetween. So I cannot reload the latest save. Autosave was turned off.

I think I am not allowed to start over because that would be cheating (anyways I don't think I'd win but maybe life a bit longer).

I don't remember my score, only the turn Number when I died:

It was November 2185

We could make the challange like: fastest win/slowest loss, so no scores would be required to determine the winner...

I've reported the bug in the Galciv.com-Bug-Report Thread.

You should alter rule #8 because if you try to save a losing game right before pressing enter to come to the defeat screen it won't work. Change it to use the savegame of the turn right before you were invaded.
        Last edited by AIL; May 31, 2003, 02:39.

Comment

AIL
          Thanks for advice, i didn't know details. Then i see that i'm losing, i'm just quitting long before actual lose.

Score isn't important at all.

Okay, got the save and am now going to play... Did you play it already? Who wins the competition when noone actually wins the game? The guy who survives the longest time?
          Yep. But i think that RayChua and Staffa has chances to win. Maybe someone else too.
          Knowledge is Power

Comment

"But i think that RayChua and Staffa has chances to win. Maybe someone else too."

Very optimistic i'd say . Although i can faintly imagine getting somewhere if you know what the map looks like and you have some very lucky breaks.

I got nowhere but was quite lucky while stretching the length of my poor existence. Could have been moreso, shall we make a spoilerthread? It's much more fun to discuss the game while memory is still fresh.

Anyway, here's my save: http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Snuis/Snuis1stMaso.zip

Good luck all, you'll need it .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellestar
              AIL
              Thanks for advice, i didn't know details. Then i see that i'm losing, i'm just quitting long before actual lose.

Score isn't important at all.

Yep. But i think that RayChua and Staffa has chances to win. Maybe someone else too.
              Hey, I knew that I'd lose before actually loading the save game!
              For me there was only the question of how long I'd survive and so I had to stay to find out...

I hope that someone can win this game... I'd really like to learn from them how that is possible!

At the moment I think, I could try as often as I want and reload as often as I want, those Increadible AI's will always crush me!

@Snuis: Yeah, I'd really like to diskuss that game somewhere too!

Comment

Link to AAR tread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=87999

Don't forget that AAR tread contains spoilers! If you read AAR before completing your game, you can't participate in 1st Masochistic Challenge.
                Last edited by Ellestar; June 3, 2003, 12:11.
                Knowledge is Power

Comment

ugh, i died so quick in this game that the ironman rule wasn't even necessary.

Comment

Working...
                  X