No announcement yet.

Finally in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the information LDiCesare, I was about to ask a friend visiting Paris to look for GalCiv, your post will spare him a loss of time.

And don't worry I am not listening to him...
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I think there is some defense of FRench language law keeping the game out.

Comment

As far as I remember Computer games are not concerned by the laws protecting the French language.

Unfortunately I think the problem is linked to the law of supply and demand. The demand for english language Turn by Turn games is simply not high enough for the French shops to bother about importing them.

The reasons are rather simple IMO, predominance of the Real Time "so called" Strategy Games, lack of english speaking players.

As France is situated at the crossroad between England, Germany, Spain and Italy, many students are choosing another language as their primary foreign language (like German or Spanish). There are proportionally less people speaking English in France than in the northern countries. French is also an international language, far less spread than English I agree, that which does not help. Many French traveller have the exasperating tendancy to consider everyone should speak their tongue in a foreign country.

The fact GalCiv is distributed in the northern countries does not surprise me. The teaching of English is far more efficient and widespread in those countries and most of their inhabitants, if not all, are remarkably fluent in English as we can see it by ourselves everyday on Apolyton.

In spite of its qualities few French players have heard about GalCiv. Even Master of Orion 3, which is more widely known in France in spite of its flaws, is not distributed here. Importing small quantities would be very costly and the game would be sold at a prohibitive price... for a profit which is not worth the pain as far as shop owners are concerned.

Moreover the Cartesian mentality of the French, as opposed to the Anglo-Saxon one, means games are usually considered as an activity for the young. It is not really considered as a proper hobby for an adult person, to the exception of "comme il faut" (acceptable) games like Chess, Checkers or card games (Belotte, Tarot or Bridge).

Playing TBS PC games or tabletop games (Role Playing Games, Wargames or Boardgames) like I do is generally considered as a sign of immaturity. This means that few french are used to learn the complex rules associated with Turn Based Strategy Games and they are even fewer to be able to do it in English... which is a pity as the vast majority of the good games (be them PC games or tabletop games) are coming from the States.
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Spot on, Tamerlin. Note that even tarot or belotte are better played in the south if you don't want to look immature...
          Note that it's possible to order galciv from Stardock and they can send a CD for about 10 more dollars.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Just a bit off topic here but I am curious . . .

. . . what is considered a "mature" form of entertainment?

Hmmmm - Chronus wonders what kind of wise-guy responses he'll get with this question.

Comment

Some examples:
              - Sports (practicing or watching)
              - TV (rather sad...)
              - Movies (provided they are not of the science-fiction or fantasy kind)
              - Reading books (provided they are not of the science-fiction or fantasy kind)
              - Listening at music (provided it is not of the hardcore or metal kind)
              - Going to a party (provided the music is not of the hardcore or metal kind)
              - Fishing or hunting ( )
              - Chess and checkers
              - and so on... the more unimaginative the better.

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                Note that even tarot or belotte are better played in the south if you don't want to look immature...
                I knew about belotte but I thought tarot was also widespread in the North.

Note that it's possible to order galciv from Stardock and they can send a CD for about 10 more dollars.
                I suppose you can burn your own CD once you have downloaded GalCiv from Stardock's site.

Comment

Maybe the french should just start speaking English?

Comment

Working...
                  X