Old RPGs - WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old RPGs - WTF?

I was playing a couple old NES Ultimas (Exodus and Quest of the Avatar), and I realize why most people back then really hated RPGs. There is virtually no indication of what does what, the difficulty makes arbitrary jumps as your characters level up, and the entire time I'm wondering why I don't just pop in Mario or Zelda. Who ever thought that menus were fun?

Anybody have fond memories of these games? As a kid I played Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy, but those were Japanese and were virtually on rails. They were grind-heavy, but at least you had some definite idea of where to go and what to do. My brother played Ultima and seemed to like it, but I was never any good. As it turns out, I'm still terrible.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

I never liked the early RPGs (Spectrum/Amiga ones) either - a fact that actually stopped me playing them once they became good for a few years.

Comment

No fond memories of old JRPGs or cRPGs before Bioware came out with Baldur's Gate, save the classic Moraff's World. There were some interesting old DnD Gold Box games, but they were buggy or something was wrong with most of them. Kings Quest and Adventure games don't count... but at least they were decent.

You're not alone. I dislike games without clear guidance on what to do- I'd rather think as little or as much as I desire while playing a game-- I'd rather not be forced to think unless I wish to do as such. Thus, games like Civ (fun to play, difficult to master) strongly appeal to me.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I have fond memories of games like Tunnels of Doom on the TI-994A (it was on a cassette!) and Dungeon Master on the Atari ST. Both were dungeon crawlers...
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Nethack for life

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            Nethack for life
            Heh. More like Nethack for Yet Another Stupid Death .

Comment

Bard's Tale and Wasteland
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I am trying to remember the game, you play as a Nazi soldier..Mor...something or other..go through dungeions and up through tunnels..

I got it in a bargain baesment, maybe 10 years old..was not too bad except kinda didnt like being a Nazi...
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

The game was called Mortyr...probably a FPS not role play
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I played a shedload of them back in the day....almost all of them in fact, but I know that I'm looking through rose colored glasses just to think of them.

I have used emulators to boot them again, but alas, the glasses were really rose colored.

Every year they came up with something new. Automap...awesome...then you play one without it and not so good.

I remember finding graph/engineering paper with maps notes etc from the old days when we moved about 10 years ago. Can't believe that I went to the trouble.

I remember staging something on my keyboard in one of the early Ultima's to spawn more random enemies while I was safe is a spot on the map with very difficult access (one path that zig-zagged in).
                    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
                      I remember staging something on my keyboard in one of the early Ultima's to spawn more random enemies while I was safe is a spot on the map with very difficult access (one path that zig-zagged in).
                      If I'm reading this right, it looks like you were taking advantage of an AI glitch to help make the game playable.

That's the sort of thing I remember. Games from the eighties were often impossibly hard without cheating in some way, either by taking advantage of a glitch or by expressly entering a cheat code (like Contra). I wonder how many nostalgic gamers remember just how freaking insane most games were back then. Challenge is one thing, but a game that requires the player to manipulate the system just to play is badly designed.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Yeah, in Wasteland by the time I got to the last (5.25"!) disk, I was burning through the energy weapon/rocket ammo in Vegas, and when I ran out of that, the slugthrower ammo did very little damage, even if you burned a whole clip. So I made a copy of a previous disk that had a base with supplies and traveled the shadows a few times till I could finish.
                        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Dragon Warrior games on the NES were awesome.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                            I was playing a couple old NES Ultimas (Exodus and Quest of the Avatar), and I realize why most people back then really hated RPGs. There is virtually no indication of what does what, the difficulty makes arbitrary jumps as your characters level up, and the entire time I'm wondering why I don't just pop in Mario or Zelda. Who ever thought that menus were fun?
                            When we were younger my sister and I used to write diaries for the characters we made in Ultima Exodus (because they had no given stories of their own!!!). Still it and Avatar were amusing enough games at the time.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                              Dragon Warrior games on the NES were awesome.
                              Ugh, I only played the first one and hated it. Although somehow I remember that I finished it. I also finished the first Final Fantasy game and vowed never to play it again. It would be many years before I'd pick up Final Fantasy II (IV in Japan) and give the series another try.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X