No announcement yet.

Console Wars VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bull**** is certainly that deep when you're around.

Comment

• BY THE WAY.

Television's destination for premium entertainment and storytelling, with original scripted and non-scripted series

GAME OF THE YEAR nominees.

COD:MW2 LOSES TO UNCHARTED 2.

NEWSFLASHHHHHHH
      COD:MW2 IS NOT GOTY
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I knew you'd do this - as per my last comment.

In the GotY 'discussion' we were clearly talking about the 360 GotY. It was acknowledged that there are several strong contenders outside of that (namely UC2 on the PS3 and DA:O on the PC).

I still think that MW2 is a strong contender for 360 GotY. You do not (unless you've changed your mind). Let's see.

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 28, 2010, 15:38.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Just a heads up. Gamefly and Steam are having holiday sales. Pretty good deals on both sites.
            Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Gamespot's overall GOTY is Demons Souls (PS3).

Gamespot's Xbox 360 GOTY was Assassin's Creed II.

Gamespot's PC GOTY was Dragon Age: Origins.

Sorry DrSpike, I'm right again.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• IGN's Xbox 360 GOTY was Assassin's Creed II.

IGN's PC GOTY was Dragon Age: Origins.

IGN's PS3 GOTY was Uncharted 2.

Their overall GOTY isn't going to be announced until January 13th.

Sorry DrSpike, I'm right yet again.

Comment

• Usual Asher trickery.

Some extra context:

MW2 got (cross-platform) shooter of the year at IGN
                  MW2 was nominated at GS for both shooter of the year and 360 game of the year
                  The game that beat MW2 at GS was AC2, a game not even released when previous GOTY discussions took place
                  ODST (which Asher was arguing was a stronger contender than MW2 for GOTY) was hardly even mentioned at either site.

So I think my statement that MW2 is a clear contender for GOTY, unlike ODST, is completely justified.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                    Usual Asher trickery.

Some extra context:

MW2 got (cross-platform) shooter of the year at IGN
                    Tricky? **** right off.

The thing was always about GOTY. Never once was the phrase "shooter of the year" muttered.

I win. Get used to it. I'm always irhg.t

Comment

• Odd how selective your memory is. The debate started in the thread linked to above, where you posted a review suggesting ODST would be shooter of the year, and I responded to predict that MW2 would be shooter of the year rather than ODST, and in subsequent discussion that MW2 unlike ODST was a clear 360 GOTY contender, which you disputed in several threads.

Now the results are in and MW2 has clearly blown ODST away, in both reviews scores and end of year awards. ODST is now rightly seen as a decent but not great (not to mention overpriced) expansion, as I argued in September.

As to the question of 360 GOTY (it was always acknowledged that Uncharted 2/Dragon Age etc were stronger contenders for overall GOTY) - look back at the threads. I argued before release that MW2 was going to be a clear contender, and although you tried in vain to spin against the rave reviews, they backed this up. Now at the end of the year MW2 has 3m+ players and multiple nominations for the big awards. It won IGN's shooter of the year over Killzone 2 and other strong games, and was nominated for both IGN and GS 360 game of the year.

And the kicker is that the game that beat MW2 wasn't even released when we were discussing this before.

So I really don't know how you can sit there and argue that MW2 was not a contender for the top awards when it so clearly was. Your earlier statements have been proved wrong, and they would been even more wrong if AC2 hadn't come out and partially saved your ass.

Comment

• I'm not going to read that post, there's no point. We all know you were talking about MW2 as a GOTY many times, something no reputable site or magazine has awarded. To pretend otherwise is just...stupid.

Comment

• Here's an example of me being wrong and DrSpike being right.

DrSpike on MW2:
                          A clear game of the year contender as I predicted, despite what some here posted beforehand to the contrary.

Clearly, despite any (probably fair) criticisms of SP length/content, the MP looks great, and contrary to your prediction MW2 is a strong contender for 360 GotY.

Well I'm off now to play the probable 360 GotY.

So overall a strong GotY contender I think.

Currently playing MW2 online, which is excellent, and a strong contender for GotY.

Asher on MW2:

COD:MW2 may yet be the 360 GOTY, but we'll see. Assassin's Creed 2 is supposed to be amazing, and they've got substantial changes from the prior version.

Here's my rationale for why MW2 had no chance of being named GOTY, no matter how many sales it had. It'd be like Transformers 2 getting the Picture of the Year award even though it sold hundreds of millions of dollars of tickets.
                          I just don't think it can even be a candidate unless there's some dramatic gameplay changes, of which there are none that we know of.

It's a predictable if solid franchise, but it looks like MW2 is bringing nothing new to the table except some tasteless scenes and a massive middle finger up the ass to PC gamers.

It'll be the same CoD as we've been playing for years. Regenerative health, endless respawn points and triggers, and insanely heavily scripted battles. CoD4 introduced the modern setting and the awesome Perk system, CoD:WaW was less popular than CoD4 and was the CoD4 formula in WW2. The new CoD is CoD4 in the same setting with the same gameplay with new levels, unless I'm wrong. That kind of game is not going to win GOTY, especially if essentially the same game comes out every year at the same time like CoD does.

MW2's metacritic score is trending down, AC2's is trending up. They're almost even now.

Considering AC2 is innovative and MW2 is refined, GOTY is clearly not clear cut.

Sorry, DrSpike, it really is pretty clear-cut who was right in the end.

Comment

• Uh, thanks for posting all that. I argued (before release) that MW2 was a clear contender for 360 GOTY. You disagreed. It turns out I was right. Don't think there's anything more to say.

Comment

• And what awards did ODST win?

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                                Uh, thanks for posting all that. I argued (before release) that MW2 was a clear contender for 360 GOTY. You disagreed. It turns out I was right. Don't think there's anything more to say.
                                A clear contender who wins precisely zero GOTY awards across all gaming media outlets is not a clear contender at all. An obvious nominee, yes...clear contender, no.

Comment

Working...
                                X