No announcement yet.

Console Wars VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure you're aware, but NPD doesn't track UK sales.

If you need help with geography I'm sure I could find an unemployed arts graduate to help you.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
      I'm not sure you're aware, but NPD doesn't track UK sales.
      Yes, I was aware. Thanks for checking though.

Comment

• Modern Warfare doing good of course, but a 2d Mario selling this good is just phenomenal. Guess it wont be 18 years until the next one

The ps3 is doing ok, and have a strong line of games in 2010 with GoW3, The last Guardian, Heavy Rain, MAG etc, so i predict it will surpass the 360 in monthly sales next year (but not catch up). However the Wii is just doing fantastic still. I mean, everybody writes how it is in trouble, but then it still outsells both its competitors. Impressive, and even more impressive considering the pretty weak line-ups of the last two years. However, 2010 is just looking fantastic for the Wii with Mario and Metroid (and maybe Zelda) coming from Nintendo. And then we have Sin & Punishment 2, Tales of Graces, Monado, Fragile Dreams, Tatsunoko VS Capcom, Monster Hunter Tri, Epic Mickey, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Sky Crawler and maybee Pikmin 3. I am not interested in all these games, but i certainly dont see the Wii losing much momentum with such strong software support.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaiserIsak View Post
          Modern Warfare doing good of course, but a 2d Mario selling this good is just phenomenal. Guess it wont be 18 years until the next one
          It's below expectations.

Reggie, the outspoking Nintendo exec, was bragging how it'd outsell COD: MW2.

The ps3 is doing ok, and have a strong line of games in 2010 with GoW3, The last Guardian, Heavy Rain, MAG etc, so i predict it will surpass the 360 in monthly sales next year (but not catch up).
          I cannot agree, at all. All of these titles look far less impressive than a lot of games that the PS3 has already had, none of which have moved systems (or even software) in any meaningful manner. It's been years and EVERY year we hear the same thing "but next year the PS3 has _________ titles which will finally push it above the 360 in monthly sales". It never happens.

However the Wii is just doing fantastic still. I mean, everybody writes how it is in trouble, but then it still outsells both its competitors.
          They write about how it's in trouble because it is in trouble. No one is saying it's not selling massive amounts now, but no console in history has ever fallen as far as fast as the Wii has in sales rates. It's on a steep decline that'll manifest itself very sharply in January and February, after the holiday rush.

However, 2010 is just looking fantastic for the Wii with Mario and Metroid (and maybe Zelda) coming from Nintendo. And then we have Sin & Punishment 2, Tales of Graces, Monado, Fragile Dreams, Tatsunoko VS Capcom, Monster Hunter Tri, Epic Mickey, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Sky Crawler and maybee Pikmin 3. I am not interested in all these games, but i certainly dont see the Wii losing much momentum with such strong software support.
          Precisely zero of these are system sellers, and most of them won't even be software sellers (Red Steel 2, No More heroes 2, Fragile Dreams, Monado, Tales of Graces, Sin and Punishment 2, etc). Monster Hunter will be big in Japan but not anywhere else.

There's already been Wii Mario and Zelda games. Anyone who wants those games bad enough to buy a system has already done it.

The Wii is hurting pretty badly for a few reasons: it's very dated hardware and it's only looking worse over time. A lot of the gameplay that got people excited to buy the Wii in the first place is NOT sustaining. The waggle-controls we see in 99% of Wii games is a gimmicky control and people DO lose interest in it pretty quickly. That's why we see phenomenal hardware sales for the Wii but its attach-ratio for games is the lowest of all of the consoles. Ask most people who own a Wii and they'll tell you it's mostly a dust collector. The people who play Wii regularly are very rare, and very weird.

The Wii is also reaching close to saturation point. Combined with the poor fidelity of the games, and in general the very poor games available, and it's no surprise that it's fallen 50% year over year even with a price cut.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• I agree the Wii has dated hardware, the upcoming games are unlikely to be impressive, and it can only really go downwards (mainly because it's done so well since release). But as Kaiser says it's still outselling the 360 and PS3 so it's hardly in trouble. Even if Nintendo end 2010 with monthly sales below the 360 say, they'd still be comfortably ahead in hardware sales this gen.

Comment

• Having the most amount of hardware out there is not the goal. The goal is to have the most viable and healthy software ecosystem.

Having tons of hardware out there doing nothing but collecting dust does no one any good.

Further complicating Nintendo in 2010 is Microsoft is launching Natal and Sony the PS Motion Controller.

The Wii's one distinction is gone, and with all 3 of the systems doing motion control the differentiator will now fall to price (sorry PS3) and hardware prowess (sorry Wii).

Comment

It's below expectations.

Reggie, the outspoking Nintendo exec, was bragging how it'd outsell COD: MW2.
                Well, what he said was that it would outsell MW2 on one plattform, but that we had to count until the end of January, and it will certainly have sold more than the PS3-version by the end of January, so with that bet I would say Reggie is in pretty safe waters. And considering how little they probably spent to create that game, I find it hard to count it as anything else than a success. It also sells great in Japan and Europe.

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                I cannot agree, at all. All of these titles look far less impressive than a lot of games that the PS3 has already had, none of which have moved systems (or even software) in any meaningful manner. It's been years and EVERY year we hear the same thing "but next year the PS3 has _________ titles which will finally push it above the 360 in monthly sales". It never happens.
                We will see, but you are making a good point here that it is not exactly the first time it has been hyped as such. My personal feel towards a lot of the games i mentioned are that they are more hype than content, however, I also know that a lot of people thinks otherwise, and thats why i think they will be system sellers for the PS3. Especially God of War 3.

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                They write about how it's in trouble because it is in trouble. No one is saying it's not selling massive amounts now, but no console in history has ever fallen as far as fast as the Wii has in sales rates. It's on a steep decline that'll manifest itself very sharply in January and February, after the holiday rush.

Precisely zero of these are system sellers, and most of them won't even be software sellers (Red Steel 2, No More heroes 2, Fragile Dreams, Monado, Tales of Graces, Sin and Punishment 2, etc). Monster Hunter will be big in Japan but not anywhere else.

There's already been Wii Mario and Zelda games. Anyone who wants those games bad enough to buy a system has already done it.

The Wii is hurting pretty badly for a few reasons: it's very dated hardware and it's only looking worse over time. A lot of the gameplay that got people excited to buy the Wii in the first place is NOT sustaining. The waggle-controls we see in 99% of Wii games is a gimmicky control and people DO lose interest in it pretty quickly. That's why we see phenomenal hardware sales for the Wii but its attach-ratio for games is the lowest of all of the consoles. Ask most people who own a Wii and they'll tell you it's mostly a dust collector. The people who play Wii regularly are very rare, and very weird.

The Wii is also reaching close to saturation point. Combined with the poor fidelity of the games, and in general the very poor games available, and it's no surprise that it's fallen 50% year over year even with a price cut.
                You make a lot of good points here, that I agree on. The fall is sharp, saturation point reaching, hardware is aged, and motion controls not as new as they were. However, judging it to the sales in 2008 might be a bit unfair, as they were just to good to last. It still sells pretty healthy. However, it will definitely not be a new ps2 as was touted by someone. And I also agree that not many of the titles i mentioned will be software selling titles, but the point is rather that the Wii is steadily getting a decent amount of good games, and then also will become a worthwhile purchase for the core gamers. For example, I have a lots of friend with either a PS3 og a 360 that considers the Wii as a second console for its exclusives. The same way it supplement my 360 as well.

So, my prediction is that the wii will sell slightly less, but still stay on top, while ps3 will sell slightly more and overtake the 360.

Comment

Having the most amount of hardware out there is not the goal. The goal is to have the most viable and healthy software ecosystem.

Having tons of hardware out there doing nothing but collecting dust does no one any good.
                  I think you'll find the goal from Nintendo's perspective is to make the most profit.

From a traditional gamer's perspective, the Wii has never been the first choice in any case. So whether it does worse in 2010 is not really that relevant.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                    I think you'll find the goal from Nintendo's perspective is to make the most profit.
                    Apparently you did not make this connection which was implicit in my statement.

Hardware that has already been purchased and sits unused generates zero profit.

From a traditional gamer's perspective, the Wii has never been the first choice in any case. So whether it does worse in 2010 is not really that relevant.
                    This is a completely nonsensical statement. The purpose of these threads is to discuss and analyze how well a console is doing in terms of sales and in terms of being a gaming platform. The Wii's success or lack thereof in 2010 is very relevant. If you wish to discuss something more relevant to you, such as nail polish colours, various sex-toy configurations, or Keynesian economics than I suggest you find a different thread.

Comment

• I think the Wii's success or lack thereof is indeed very relevant. I can see I was being too subtle for you.

I wonder though once we get beyond your usual Wii-hatery in what sense the Wii is 'in trouble'. Will attach rates remain low? Probably. Will hardware sales continue to fall? Probably. Will Wii games remain embarrassing quality-wise? Probably.

I can't see any of these or related points posing a real problem for the Wii. Nintendo have always had a different market and strategy to the 360/PS3.

I think Nintendo do need to get moving on Wii-2 or whatever they call it, or over the medium term they could lose their casual gamer market to Natal or other developments. Even that's not a probably for the Wii/Nintendo per se - they've still made a killing this gen no matter what happens in 2010 or beyond.

To me how long Nintendo can hold the casual gamers is the most interesting point for discussion - but I know it will be hard to get you away from the usual 'Wii games are bad and sell badly' territory you are comfortable with.

Comment

• If you don't see why negative growth equates to 'trouble', then you should not be an economist.

Comment

• That's just the kind of evasive answer I was expecting.

Comment

• There's nothing evasive about stating the obvious. By "trouble" I mean it's clearly shrinking. Their profits are going to fall, their shares falling with it, and this is a Bad Thing. It's trouble.

Whether you are capable of seeing this or not is an interesting issue. Apparently you're not.

Comment

• I am merely trying to get you to think a little deeper. On this issue I fear I am doomed to failure.

Comment

• I think on a level so deep it would be incomprehensible to arts graduates.

Comment

Working...
                                X