Console Wars VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Gamers Prize Word Of Mouth Most Heavily When Buying

Word of mouth among friends is the most significant factor in video game buying decisions -- or so gamers claim, according a new report by market research firm NPD.

Forty-one percent of gamers in the United States claimed they made purchases based on word of mouth, and 31 percent said they chose their games based on hands-on experiences with games owned by friends and family.

Meanwhile, only five percent claimed to be influenced by advertising, be it in print or online news sources, or by way of social networking. The company's sample size was nearly 21,000 gamers.

NPD also calculated gamer demographics, a frequently-studied area, and determined 24 percent of gamers -- the largest demographic group -- to be between the ages of 2 and 12. Nearly as many, 20 percent, were between 25 and 34, and 17 percent were between 34 and 44.

The overall demographic skews in favor of males, but not overwhelmingly so, with a majority of 56 percent.

Console Cross-Ownership

In a section of the report measuring gamer ownership of multiple consoles, NPD found Wii owners to be the least likely to own another gaming system, not surprising given the system's comparatively high market share. Just over a quarter of Wii owners in the U.S. own an Xbox 360, and only 14 percent of them own a PlayStation 3.

Contrasting that figure, owners of the PlayStation 3 -- the least-common of the three consoles in the United States -- are the most likely to own another console. Slightly more than a third of them own an Xbox 360, while only 18 percent of Xbox 360 owners have a PlayStation 3.

But Wii ownership proves more ubiquitous -- 42 percent of both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 owners have one.

And Wii player habits turn out to be much in line with how they are frequently anecdotally reported: more than half of Wii owners say their most-played online games fall under the "card/puzzle/arcade/word" umbrella, while their favored offline genre is "family-oriented games." On the other hand, shooters are the most popular online genre on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, with racing and action/adventure tied for preferred PS3 offline genre.

But there's something of a surprise on the Xbox 360, demonstrating Microsoft's all-ages push might be working: along with action/adventure games, Xbox 360's most popular offline genre is family-oriented gaming.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 28, 2010, 15:39.
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• I've played a lot of XBL. You get the odd bad apple sure, but the above is a total exaggeration I'm afraid.

Comment

• If I were playing against AAHZ I'd quit early also.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 28, 2010, 15:39.
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Mole spills holiday 360 bundle as Microsoft begins $50 rebate
              Microsoft may be feeling the heat of Sony's price cut and newly redesigned hardware: today the Xbox 360 Elite becomes $250 after a $50 mail-in rebate. The sales boosts from price drops may be short lived, but it's clear Microsoft wants to squeeze every sale it can out of the bump. We also have exclusive confirmation of new bundles and wireless adapter pricing.

At the end of August, Microsoft confirmed what we've known for months: the 120GB XBox 360 Elite would be seeing a price drop to $300. Sure, the new system won't include high-definition cables of any kind, but what's the price of an HDMI cable between friends? While Microsoft claimed this price drop had been in the works for months and wasn't a reaction to Sony's own price reduction and hardware redesign, another wrinkle has been added to the pricing story.

Microsoft is now offering a $50 mail-in rebate to those who purchase the $300 Xbox 360 Elite, starting immediately. That's not all the news we have for your today, though, as the Mole spills the beans on an Elite holiday bundle, as well as information on an upcoming refresh of Microsoft's wireless adapter for the Xbox 360.

"Xbox 360 Elite puts all your entertainment in one place so you can play games, watch movies and TV shows, listen to music, and, coming this fall, keep up with your Twitter and Facebook social circles, all from your living room," the announcement states. "Additionally, with a Netflix unlimited membership and an Xbox LIVE Gold Membership you can instantly watch movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix, recommend your favorite shows and share in a movie party night with up to 7 friends—all on Xbox LIVE."

The deal is valid for anyone who buys a system between September 22 and October 5, so the window for getting your hands on the rebate is rather small. This fits in with remarks Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg made recently to Eurogamer. "I don't believe the price cuts that both companies have made will impact the market dynamics too dramatically in the long term," he stated. "We typically see a month or two of lifts and share adjustments, but then things tend to settle back to roughly the established market ranking."

Adding this rebate on top of the $100 price drop is a good way to steal some of Sony's momentum, and to maximize the short-time sales boost Microsoft expects from the recent price cut. Right now the specific details on the rebate are not available online, but you should be able to find the information page on Microsoft's site in the next few hours.

With $50, you can pay for a year of Xbox Live, get an extra controller or game, or you could simply pocket the money. This brings the price of the Xbox 60 down to the cost of the Nintendo Wii, although by all accounts Nintendo's hardware will see a price drop by the end of the month. Is there a connection between that nearly confirmed rumor and this rebate? Anything is possible in this generation's pricing war.

The Mole has also chimed in with some more info on Microsoft's plans. Starting in the middle of October we'll be seeing an Elite system bundled with copies of both Pure and Lego Batman, giving you a little more value for your $300 through Christmas.

Microsoft has also confirmed the existence of an 802.11n adaptor for the Xbox 360, and the Mole has let us know that the hardware will be released for $100, with the existing 802.11g adapter dropping in price to $79.99. The hardware will feature two antennae for better reception, and should help deliver the bandwidth needed to stream 1080p video instantly, as Microsoft claims is possible with the upcoming Zune video store update to the Xbox 360.

A rebate, new bundles, and less expensive wireless. This is a big day for Microsoft news.

Comment

• Wii drops to $199 as of Sunday in the US.

Comment

• Still not really enough to even up prices relative to capability - but should keep the Wii on top for a bit longer.

Comment

• Forza 3 demo is live on XBL. Haven't tried it yet but apparently the AI is absolutely amazing.

Comment

• I started the download as soon as I got in. But it seems pretty popular - only 10% done after a couple of hours.

Comment

• September NPD sales come out later today.

Prediction: PS3 Slim sales overtake the 360 on the basis of the new hardware + big price cut. I'm guessing by 40k or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                          BTW, who else here has a PSN network id?

I'm Moosely
                          I'm Ulias. Outside of logging in to check the store on Thursdays, and DL the occasional update for the kids (their accounts don't get internet access yet), I'm not on that much, but may try some Uncharted 2 in November.
                          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• I was way off.

PlayStation 3 491.8K
                            Xbox 360 352.6K
                            Wii 462.8K

HALO 3: ODST 360 MICROSOFT (CORP) Sep-09 1.52M 1
                            WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 442.9K
                            MADDEN NFL 10 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-09 289.6K
                            MARIO & LUIGI:BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Sep-09 258.1K
                            THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* 360 MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-09 254.0K
                            MADDEN NFL 10 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-09 246.5K
                            MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) Sep-09 236.0K
                            BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3 SQUARE ENIX INC (CORP) Aug-09 212.5K
                            GUITAR HERO 5* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) Sep-09 210.8K
                            THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* WII MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-09 208.6K

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              I was way off.
                              Not the first time, and won't be the last.

Nice PS3 spike. I wonder how long they can sustain it.

Comment

• Well, it depends what you mean by sustain. It's now the "Holiday shopping season", all of the consoles are going to see increases. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 "sustained" this rate by the virtue of demand for all consoles going up, but the competitors will go up more than the PS3 month over month.

Comment

Working...
                                X