No announcement yet.

Console Wars VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ps3 software sales are just terrible. other than the cod games and mlb, absolutely nothing with legs (even just to 2008), even the exclusives. Killzone 2 is just a disaster, holy cow. I would love to see the npd charts 2.5 yrs after the ps2 launch for an ugly comparison.

Comment

• Xbox live needs more games like BF 1943. Straight multiplayer at 1/4 the cost of a normal game.
      Last edited by flash9286; July 28, 2009, 16:05.
      Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Nintendo's profits are down 66% on rapidly slumping Wii sales...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• How are MS doing? I read that they sell more but earn less.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• MS' Xbox division's revenues were down 12% year over year, but their loss was smaller compared to last year (indicating costs were lower) for the quarter.

They shipped 11.2 million Xbox 360 consoles during fiscal year 2009, which is up compared with 8.7 million Xbox 360 consoles during fiscal year 2008. They're in the black also $169M in profit the past 12 months.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• As for Sony, well..."cratering" is accurate.

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

PS3 and PSP slump, Wii hammered too

Sony latest earnings show that it continues to be hammered by the worldwide recession and strong yen, suffering a net loss of $390.5 million in the quarter that ended June 30.

The bright spot was Sony's motion picture division, which saw a 6.5 percent boost that was largely attributable to the relatively strong showing of "Angels & Demons" at the box office. But almost everything else, including TV, video game, and computer sales, was down in a big way.

In an article, The New York Times highlighted the 37.4 percent year-over-year slump in gaming and computer sales (Vaio PC). The article noted that PlayStation 3 game consoles were "particularly sluggish" and that software sales had dropped.

According to the report, Sony said it sold about 1.1 million PlayStation 3s and 1.3 million PlayStation Portables in the latest quarter, compared with 1.6 million PS3s and 3.7 million PSPs in the same period a year ago.

The wane in PSP sales is particularly brutal, although part of that slowdown may have been due to rumors earlier in the quarter that Sony would release a new PSP later in the year. (And sure, enough, the PSP Go was unveiled in June at E3.) Also, the constant spate of rumors involving the potential arrival of a new PS3 Slim certainly hasn't helped sales of the current game console.

On a more positive note, we recently attended a PlayStation preview in New York that highlighted the PSP Go and the exclusive titles available for both the PSP and PS3 platforms during the upcoming holiday-shopping season. Overall, it looked pretty good.

Sony can also be consoled by the fact that sales are also way down for the Wii, as Nintendo reported a 66 percent fall in quarterly operating profit on "slowing demand for its Wii console and a stronger yen."

Nintendo sold 2.23 million Wii consoles in the quarter, compared with 5.17 million the same quarter a year earlier.

However, Nintendo still posted a profit of $445 million and is forecasting that it will sell 26 million Wii consoles before year's end--along with 30 million DS handheld game players, which, by the way, is seeing increased competition from another handheld device. Nintendo didn't mention the PSP as the rival in its earning call, but rather Apple's iPhone.

Comment

• Yahtzee gives the Wii a (very funny) bashing this week.

Comment

• Sony has started inserting obtrusive ads into PS3/PSN games...the "free ride" had to end sometime. In Wipeout HD, it substantially increases loading times. Note it's been removed for now due to backlash:

UPDATE: The ads have been REMOVED! In recent news, Sony has pulled the ads from the game, so this video is obsolete. While it's always possible that this c...

Comment

• At least they are listening to feedback.

Comment

• Inserting ads into games people have paid for?

Hellgate: London had ads for Mythos posted in the subways. That was kind of cool because a) Mythos was a much better game than Hellgate, and b) it didn't change the load times in any real way. It just added to the atmosphere of the game and was a neat little in joke to fans.

Emulating Hellgate though is not advisable.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• So a PS3 is a very expensive paperweight with free annoying ads? I should totally buy one. Or just boycott Sony.
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• It also plays Blu-ray.

Comment

• xbla shadow complex looks amazing!

modern setting metroidvania

Chair's Donald Mustard drops knowledge on this hot-looking 2D action game.

Comment

• Awesome. Sept 8th, Capcom launches a "Platinum Hits Triple Pack".

$40 for full versions of Dead Rising, Lost Planet, and Devil May Cry 4. All games I kind of wanted, but didn't want to spend full price on.

Comment

• Nothing stellar there though, and you can get them cheap on fleabay anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X