Console Wars VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's no joke here.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Nintendo has won this generation of console war. The numbers dont lie.
      "Move along, move along, we dont need to see your figures, these aren't the figures we looking for."

Comment

• The problem with that simpleton logic is there's not just one console market anymore. There's no way the people who buy the Wii Fit are, by and large, the same people who buy Halo 3 and GTA4.

There's clearly two distinct markets here, Nintendo has run away with one of them but they're losing badly in the other. Not that they care, what with their money-printing machine. But they've not made their core gamers very happy at all.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• False. It's far more accurate to say that they have made their core gamers happy, by quite sensibly switching their core market from a highly contested market to one they have, by and large, constructed.

You could legitimately say that they have not made their traditional core gamers happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
            False. It's far more accurate to say that they have made their core gamers happy, by quite sensibly switching their core market from a highly contested market to one they have, by and large, constructed.

You could legitimately say that they have not made their traditional core gamers happy.
            The term "core" implicitly refers to the "traditional" core gamers. "core" is derived from "hardcore", DrSpike...

When you hear "core gamers" being referred to in the gaming press, it's the people who will buy Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, GTA4, etc...not the people who buy Wii Fit, even if from a business perspective Wii Fit is the new "core customer" for Nintendo. It really should have been obvious from the context what I was saying, even if you didn't know the gaming industry terminology. I don't know what your excuse will be...

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
              The term "core" implicitly refers to the "traditional" core gamers. "core" is derived from "hardcore", DrSpike...

...even if from a business perspective Wii Fit is the new "core customer" for Nintendo.
              I accept your apology. But don't do it again.

Comment

• I was illustrating how you are confusing your terminology domains. But I accept your apology and attempted deflection.

Comment

• Wow, two apologies in two posts. You really are turning over a new leaf Asher.

Comment

• I just finished playing Gears of War 2 -- I played the entire thing on co-op, training mission included. There seems to be a bug and it is not unlocking the 50GP "friends with benefits" achievement, the details say I've only finished 28/29 chapters...which is amusing if I managed to finish the game that way (and yes, I did the "train the rook" part co-op...twice). Seems to be a very common issue online.

Way to piss me off right when I finish...

Comment

• interesting article about people using 'hacking' on the 360 to get revenge for mp loses etc:

So if this is happening on Live, it must also be possible on the sony and nintendo networks too surely? this makes me love on-line mp even less

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        I just finished playing Gears of War 2 -- I played the entire thing on co-op, training mission included. There seems to be a bug and it is not unlocking the 50GP "friends with benefits" achievement, the details say I've only finished 28/29 chapters...which is amusing if I managed to finish the game that way (and yes, I did the "train the rook" part co-op...twice). Seems to be a very common issue online.

Way to piss me off right when I finish...
                        Obviously you didn't do the ... necessary task ... to be considered 'friends with benefits'
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Cid View Post
                          interesting article about people using 'hacking' on the 360 to get revenge for mp loses etc:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

So if this is happening on Live, it must also be possible on the sony and nintendo networks too surely? this makes me love on-line mp even less
                          Since when were DoS attacks considered hacking? Your country has alarmingly **** journalism.

I've never heard of this happening online, nor experienced it. If you don't like it, then **** off and don't play it already...christ.

Comment

• Also ... opinions on GameFly? I figured it was a good way to a) try out a bunch of games (ie, Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia, etc.) that I didn't necessarily want to spend $20-$40 on each, and b) play my sports games without paying $60 a year for all four of them yet still get all four each year (I tend to play one sports game at a time, during its season, football, baseball, soccer, hockey). $240 is already basically the rate for gamefly, so it's effectively buying them and then getting the other games free.

I signed up for a month for 2 out, at a reduced rate, and was marginally annoyed to find that nearly every sports game - including ones well out of season, like Madden - were 'low' (seemingly their lowest category), in addition to several of the other games I was interested in. I put two sports games in the top 3, so we'll see if I get either one... well, three in the top 4 but one of them is a baseball game out 3/3/09.

Particularly I guess I'm curious how often a 'low' availability game actually comes, and if I put some 'high' availability games low on my queue if they mysteriously show up instead of the low availability games with a high frequency?

Comment

• I have my doubts about the value of those services - at least for me. If you are sensible and only buy games with decent reviews they aren't expensive for the hours of play they give. And renting decent games usually ends up costing you almost as much with far less flexibility, unless you are able to put in mammoth sessions when you get rentals.

Comment

• Well, GameFly is like NetFlix - unlimited time with any given game, except in that your time is worth ~$0.40 per game per day. So the flexibility is there, though you pay for it...

For me it will be worth it so long as the availability is acceptable, and the time-to-deliver is good enough... but those are two pretty big questions

Comment

Working...
                                X