No announcement yet.

The future of PC gaming - 2009 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't overrate Brad Wardell, I like his approach in that it seems to come much more from the gamers perspective and less from corporate suits that just see games as cash.

I agree Impulse has a way to go before it becomes an equal of steam, but i 100% much prefer the kind of delivery system it is trying to be, and it may eventualy reach it's target, which will be great for PC gaming.

I also agree Demigod is not a game i will be buying.

Comment

• so are this games review scores, which will show up in metacritic, going to be determined forever by a problem that has already passed?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• People are not going to waste time re-reviewing a game that sucked even before the online connectivity problems.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
          People are not going to waste time re-reviewing a game that sucked even before the online connectivity problems.

I didn't really expect they would. One more reason not to take a metacritic score too seriously though.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Meta doesn't update over the lifecycle sure - it's the same for any game that receives a major patch or where mods become very popular. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be taken seriously though - more often than not it's the strongest metric of a game's quality.

Comment

• I've read that some publishers only pay bonuses if the metacritic score is high.

The weird thing about that is that Metacritic does some weird maths(we dont say 'math' in the uk) that means it's actual overall score system isn't an actual meritocratic type overview of how well a game has been recieved. you can google for lots of info on how metacritic does what it does.

I find it a useful site because it links to a variety of review sites all in one place, so i can read many reviews to get the 'big picture' of a game. I won't buy a game based purely on Metacritics score, but it certainly helps get to good info from lots of sources quickly. It's a very useful site, but is often used incorrectly, especialy in the games industry it appears.

Comment

• Hasn't been much loving over here for a bit, so time to remind you all why the PC still is the place to game

Comment

• That article is far from convincing.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• An understatement from Asher - whatever next.

Comment

• That article convinced me to play Freelancer some more.
                      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• The article convinced me to re-install Homeworld 2 and check the modding scene.
                        Also I really need to buy Mount&Blade, i like the game, it has some great mods and it's easy to find at a good price in the highstreet stores.

And i always like freaky indie games for my 'casual(hmm console like?)' gaming play sessions. They are often short lived(also like console games) but more importantly often free, so if it's sh*t no worries. I love PC gaming

Comment

• Console games are shortlived?

Is that why Halo 2 is still played more online more than all of Firaxis' games put together?

Comment

• El_Cid, if you like Mount & Blade, make sure to check out the coming XP. Info at GamersGate and Paradox's forums.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              Console games are shortlived?

Is that why Halo 2 is still played more online more than all of Firaxis' games put together?
                              Cue El Cid posting (incorrectly of course) that this just applies to FPS.

Comment

• no, my response(as asher well knows as i've given it many times before) is that i finished halo 2 in one weekend(about 12 hours play) first play through on normal.

AND i dont count multiplayer, especialy console multiplayer as part of my game evaluation, mostly becasue any time i've tried console mp i want a labotomy asap - but choose the safer option of doing something better....like watching paint dry

Seriously the big problem with console mp is the other players imho(and short experience of it).
                                Yes you can filter them, i know that, but even just having to taint myself with the drivel of console mp communications to get through that process fills me with more dread than coming face to face with a great white of the coast of cornwall.
                                :shudder:....console mp is like being forced to watch endless re-runs of the worst episodes of big brother or maybe constant jeremy kyle repeats! Thats not gaming to me - thats torture. If no one could speak to anyone, if no 'chat' feature existed i might think differently. But also i find it quite disturbing to my game when people bail if they start to lose.

I trust you understand better now. I play sp games, I judge a games worth on its sp gameplay, mp(pref hotseat) is a bonus that may get used.

CivIV gets lots of hotseat love in my house

But seriously you expect me to want to play online against people like Asher(and sadly worse from my experience!) - and pay for that privilege! heck MS/Sony/etc should pay me for that!! no - even money wouldn't tempt me.

Comment

Working...
                                X