Steam just got +40% more expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver

Only for Eurozone countries. For the 12 EU countries that are not in the Eurozone, let alone countries like Norway, the dollar makes as much sense as the Euro, both are just foreign countries with no special legal status.
    The difference being one is regionally closer to you than the other.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That's the entire problem, they did. And according to what I read, Valve set the prices. Given that 1 EUR = 1.39 USD, their 1=1 conversion is ridiculous.
      Then this makes perfect sense that Steam prices reflect Retail prices, otherwise they'd drive the retail business out of business.

Valve doesn't set retail prices.

yay.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ah, my bad, I thought you meant Steam Europe by "in stores"...

Prices for physical copies differ considerably throughout Europe. For most countries, though, the new Steam pricing is more expensive than retail copies. Of course, one more problem I have with this is that Steam is often the only reasonable way to get a game in this ass-backwards place.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Might as well charge in Russian roubles then, those are even closer. At any rate, all these being foreign currencies, I'm not sure they are now allowed to make people buy in Euros, without any other option.

Comment

Might as well charge in Russian roubles then, those are even closer.

Comment

I think I'd be ecstatic if they did a 1 dollar = 1 rouble conversion for their prices

Comment

What would that make your games, $0.25?
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Nah, I think it'd even be as much as 1.5$

Comment

Don't you guys have Amazon?

Comment

The costs of shipping it from Amazon make it cost as much as a physical copy does in local stores...

Comment

Just another reason to ditch Steam, and get your games from Impulsedriven.com instead

Stardock all the way

Asmodean
                        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Their selection is pathetic compared to Steam.

Some people actually like to use their computers for things.

Comment

Yep, I like Stardock and the concept of Impulse, but there just aren't enough games on it. Steam offers most of the big titles lately. Although I sure hope that Impulse develops.

Comment

Speaking of which, a bunch of EA games is hitting Steam now, including Spore and Mass Effect.

Comment

The costs of shipping it from Amazon make it cost as much as a physical copy does in local stores...
                                Fallout 3 = $1.5 USD + 1 million roubles P&H.

Comment

Working...
                                X