New BioWare MMORPG: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BioWare MMORPG: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Official site. Broadsword and Lucasfilm bring you the next evolution in MMO Gameplay: Story.

Discuss
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

I read the gamestop article this evening and my guess is WoW/EQ clone.

Ill pass.
      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
        I read the gamestop article this evening and my guess is WoW/EQ clone.

Ill pass.
        Would you ****ing knock it off with the "WoW/EQ clone" bull****.

Holy ****ing ****. Is every RTS ever a "Command and Conquer" clone? Is every TBS a "Civilization" clone? Is ever FPS a "Wolfenstein" clone?

Recognize the concept of GENRES and SUB-GENRES and EDUCATE YOURSELF.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

You mean Dune 2 clone :P

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Would you ****ing knock it off with the "WoW/EQ clone" bull****.

Holy ****ing ****. Is every RTS ever a "Command and Conquer" clone? Is every TBS a "Civilization" clone? Is ever FPS a "Wolfenstein" clone?

Recognize the concept of GENRES and SUB-GENRES and EDUCATE YOURSELF.
            Try opening your mind. Then maybe you won't promote virtually every MMO game maker basically making the same old crapola.

I AM educated that the problem.

Whats your excuse for settling for some more drivel?

*"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I don't know, your posts seem like a clone of El_Cids' to me.

You don't like the sub-genre, then fine, don't ****ing play it. There's about 15 million people who do like it and like to see improvements on World of Warcraft.

So suck it down and get lost.

Comment

Interesting, in the LOTRO thread you said the huge numbers that WoW has mean nothing, now they mean everything.

You must be related to my wife somehow, she can never make up her mind either

Comment

Interesting, in the LOTRO thread you said the huge numbers that WoW has mean nothing, now they mean everything.

You must be related to my wife somehow, she can never make up her mind either
                  I never said they mean everything, just that there's a demonstrably large market for this sub-genre that you seem to mock.

You think all the games in the sub-genre are the same, when they are not.

Comment

I never said they mean everything, just that there's a demonstrably large market for this sub-genre that you seem to mock.

You think all the games in the sub-genre are the same, when they are not.
                    They are the same, the core gameplay is the same. I seriously question your sanity if you continue to deny that.

Comment

/me hands out the popcorn
                      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

They are the same, the core gameplay is the same. I seriously question your sanity if you continue to deny that.
                        But then the core gameplay of any TBS is the same, or any RTS is the same, or any FPS is the same.

As I said, you have no ****ing idea what the difference is between a "clone" and a "sub-genre".

I'm not arguing with you on this anymore, you're not intelligent enough to figure out the difference so arguing about it is pointless.

Comment

There is no core difference in todays MMO's other than maybe EVE and possibly a Sports MMO, someone mentioned in another thread.

And I have already agknowledged differences in sub genres.

But there are or were MMO's out there, that are making money and ARE DIFFERENT.

So there is an option, there can be a difference and money can be made.

SWG was initially largely successfull till they changed it instead of working out the bugs and balancing. EVE continues to be different and continues to make money and report growth.

There is an alternative.

But everyone keeps going for toppling the 800 lb gorilla, and we keep getting rehashes of the same old thing.

As I said in the other thread if you can't see that, I don't really know what to say.

I hope this game is going to be new and different. I love the Star Wars Franchise. But my fear is it won't.

How many mediocre Themepark games do we need anyway?

Comment

What is your major malfunction?

Games like LOTRO turn a profit. MMORPGs are obscenely expensive to produce, and you're expecting people to make radically new, risky gameplay decisions. That will not happen.

You're going to see slow evolution. Like LOTRO improving on WoW.

Comment

What is your major malfunction?

Games like LOTRO turn a profit. MMORPGs are obscenely expensive to produce, and you're expecting people to make radically new, risky gameplay decisions. That will not happen.

You're going to see slow evolution. Like LOTRO improving on WoW.
                              Thats not the issue.

The issue is everyone wants to be WoW, everyone wants 10 million subscribers, so they all make games like WoW, hoping they will be the next one.

I have already stated, and its pretty much fact that EVE IS different, and has a steady and growing subscriber base, and is making money.

So why is it so risky to try something different. Its proven it can work.

Because its all about being the next WoW, and LOTRO is no different.

Comment

Working...
                              X