Lord of the Rings Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
    I'm amazed you still don't understand what you're talking about.

Turbine's business model, and I know this because I play DDO free to play, is to provide a base set of content for free. Then you can buy new content piecemeal.

Only the original game is fully free, I expect they'll put up the next "Books" from the expansion (and areas to venture from the expansion) as individual purchases in the store.

If they made the whole game free, like you stupidly suggest, THEY WOULD MAKE NO MONEY. Obviously they would never do that.

Even IF they did, NO I would not be pissed. I paid $199 for a lifetime subscription in 2007. The accumulated monthly fees I'd have paid since then is well over $500. I've already gotten an incredible value out of the investment.

In addition to having access to all current and future content automatically, they give me free credits to spend per month on the other **** they'll put in the store (potions, etc I'm sure).

Thank you for contributing so much to this thread. Your solid understanding of gaming fundamentals and its enabling businesses is very appreciated.
    This is obtuse even by your standards: the first thing I said was that I presume it's not all free, for obvious reasons. I'm genuinely interested in how they will set it up so that they attract new (initially non-paying) customers whilst making enough money to continue, and keeping the lifetime subscribers happy and so on.

Silly me for thinking you would be able to discuss like an adult without launching attacks on things that weren't even close to what was posted.

Comment

• Don't play dumb.

This comment was irredeemably stupid and ignorant:
      So you wouldn't be annoyed if it was made totally free to play, including the expansions? I imagine like many of your views that would not be widely held amongst the lifetime subscribers.

You don't invite adult conversations with such drivel.

My reply was not obtuse. It was an informative and factual reply to your hypothetical post which contributed nothing to this thread.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• In case you haven't noticed, I'm chastising you for your lack of critical thought. Your post illustrated you knew it was up to L50 (pre-expansion). You then made a crack about lifetime subs with a cute smiley. And we all know what you meant.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
          Don't play dumb.

This comment was irredeemably stupid and ignorant:
          So you wouldn't be annoyed if it was made totally free to play, including the expansions? I imagine like many of your views that would not be widely held amongst the lifetime subscribers.

You don't invite adult conversations with such drivel.
          A little inflammatory perhaps - though still mild compared to pretty much all of your posts, including the one directly preceding what you quoted. I think you reap what you sow - if you had replied to the original post with some of the helpful detail that was in some of your replies (inevitably combined with bile) that would have been fine. But as so often you can't, as one poster put it, 'play nice'.

Comment

• Playing nice with someone trolling me would be to give in.

Comment

• I would never engage in such frivolous behaviour.

Comment

• So, after hearing about LotRO going F2P in autumn,
                I got myself a trial subscription...
                after experiencing how great it is (and not as combat centered as DDO)
                and hearing about lifetime accounts being availanble for just 110 € till June 30th (at least with Codemasters (Europe)... Turbine AFAIK doesn´t offer LTAs anymore) I got myself into LotRO for life

That´s btw. the chick who brought F2P to DDO and now is working to bring it to LotRO
                (Kate Paiz)

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Cool

Turbine is a quality house, they support their games well.

Comment

• It's simply unfortunate, however, that I have to wait until next year for a meaningful content update. Especially after all this time as the game creeps along. The fall one isn't very meaningful. It's just an alternate zone for 62-65.
                    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

• Riders of Rohan announced. Not coming out until the fall, but Turbine is promising a bazzilion new quests throughout Rohan, Mounted Mother****ing Combat, and an increase in the level cap to 85.

I started replaying last summer when a couple buddies of mine got roped into the F2P scheme. I've got a Minstrel up to the Mines of Moria, and it's been a blast. While I admire the polish Bioware gave to SWTOR, I still play LOTRO more.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• The interesting question will be, where this mounted combat is applied...
                        only in a few quests in Rohan, or universally (i.e. enabling you, for example, to make a mounted charge attacks at lonely trolls walking on the streets )
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• I would play this if I could play it on my OS X macbook air.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                            The interesting question will be, where this mounted combat is applied...
                            only in a few quests in Rohan, or universally (i.e. enabling you, for example, to make a mounted charge attacks at lonely trolls walking on the streets )
                            It looks like it'll be limited to certain areas of Rohan. The mounted combat is going to involve a special war steed that levels up and learns new skills. It'll involve fights against warg riding bands, like from the Two Towers movie.

One other bit of good news, it looks like they're going to let people use their skirmish soldiers anywhere outside of instances and raids and such. That looks like a nice steal from SWTOR.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• There is this, but my macbook air isn't so beefy. It can handle (barely) sc2 and it can handle wow, but it can't handle eve.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                                It looks like it'll be limited to certain areas of Rohan. The mounted combat is going to involve a special war steed that levels up and learns new skills. It'll involve fights against warg riding bands, like from the Two Towers movie.

One other bit of good news, it looks like they're going to let people use their skirmish soldiers anywhere outside of instances and raids and such. That looks like a nice steal from SWTOR.
                                That´s really good news ...
                                my champion often could have used the help of his skirmish healer

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                                http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/LOTRO...x_and_Mac_OS/X

There is this, but my macbook air isn't so beefy. It can handle (barely) sc2 and it can handle wow, but it can't handle eve.

JM
                                Even if you use the lowest graphics settings?

Comment

Working...
                                X