Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sins of a Solar Empire

Hi guys,

I've downloaded a demo of this game, and i still can't really say what i think about it.

It seems to be a mix of Civilisation, Haegemonia and well... the RTS genre as a whole.

You have many economic management to do, there is the culture aspect, there is diplomacy, there are barbarians, black market and so on... There are units, units that gain experiance like the heroes in warcraft 3. It seems to really be a big melting pot of all the things i like in videogames.

But i can't help... it feels somehow slow, and there isn't alot exciting in the gameplay. Ok, I've only tried a single 90min game, not understanding every detail of what i was actually doing, but shouldn't that be the time for feeling really excited about playing a game ?

I'd like to have you opinion on that game / that demo, and i will send in more of my testings in the next weeks.

I love this game.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

But what are the sins of the Solar Empire? Gluttony? Sloth?
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I happen to agree with you Vamp. I've played the demo including tutorials and I liked it, but it seems to have a mish mash "not sure where I want to go" feeling.

The graphics are beautiful and some of them, the "daytime" solar environments are new and frankly imagination stimulating.

Nonetheless, a part of me can't grasp where it really wants to go. yet. I always wondered about it. It seemed like a Galciv "sorta what we want" game. They have Gal civ b ut made this. Why not combine the two into an epic game?

That's what it sorta seemed llike to me I guess. A Galciv that coulda, sorta, maybe have been...

Yet I was strangely intrigued by it. Go figure.
        While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

It is a very "light" 4x space game.

It therefore, does have quite a few limitations.
          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

where did you guys get the demo from? I looked at stardock but can't find it here:

Crains Detroit Business Interviews Stardock

Comment

Sins of a Solar Empire Demo Released » Forum Post by Yarlen » Ironclad Games and Stardock Entertainment are pro

It's on gamespot, apparently.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo
                But what are the sins of the Solar Empire? Gluttony? Sloth?
                Running out of quantum torpedoes.

Comment

I'd say the sins are greed and anger.

I've played another game yesterday, and i discovered a nice feature : you can place bountys on other nations in order to motivate the pirates (barbarians) to attack them.

And there even seems to be a "pirate stronghold" on every map. Does one of you know if taking it out definitively stops piracy ?

Comment

I enjoyed it, but don't expect it to replace Civ on the list of all time great 4x games.

The main problem is the end game, which is unwieldy and boring. Which is to say even more unwieldy and boring than most RTS or 4x games. Switching between star clusters to try to keep track of your fleets is real work.
                    VANGUARD

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      Sins of a Solar Empire Demo Released » Forum Post by Yarlen » Ironclad Games and Stardock Entertainment are pro

It's on gamespot, apparently.
                      And gamershell, with no sign up needed

GamersHell is the ultimate destination for gaming news, reviews, previews, videos and more.

Comment

They need to combine these graphics with SEIV.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Well, that was annoying. I'd just finished installing the demo on my desktop (typing from my laptop now) and was in the game for less than a minute when an offending smell wafted into the air. I hadn't farted, there was no one else in the room, and in seconds it started to smell like burning. A sudden sense of dread filled me with "Oh sh*t, something's caught fire and I've seconds to find it and put it out before the house burns down!" and I scrambled. Fortunately, the smell originated on my left and the only thing there is my desktop and the wall behind it. Its power source has apparently gone to see Jesus. Bugger. At least the UPS wasn't the source, that would've been more expensive to replace. I was terrified that it was going to start leaking acid AND shooting fire. That'd been fun...
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

LOL, "Sins of a Bad Power Supply."

Comment

[SIZE=1] I was terrified that it was going to start leaking acid AND shooting fire. That'd been fun...
                              Dammit, I've had it with people here cross-posting in whatever thread they feel like! This thread is about Sins. The most recent Diablo III thread is over here http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=178577
                              , and yes, the witchdoctor is cool...

Comment

Working...
                              X