EU:Rome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lemmy
    Anyone care to give a EU newbie some hints?

To learn the game, i wanted to start with a relatively small, out of the way faction. Initially i want to micromanage a lot, just to get an idea of how everything works, but not for 5+ provinces at once.

So i started with Lusitani, 2 provicnes, no neighbouring factions, but that was too primitive to anything with. Too low civ to colonize with and all the civilized factions hate me.

Second choice was Masillia, which was a much better starting point, but there's that pesky tribute to Rome and all the surrounding provinces are of a different culture. But at least i can colonize now so i'm gonna stick with this for a while.

Now, a specific question i have is, how do i load troops on ships? I have this single trireme that i start with and my two provinces are not adjacent...safest and fastest way to transport troops is by water, but i cant figure out how to get my troops on the trireme.
    The barbarian kingdoms are worthless in the game as it is set up now. They don't really have enough manpower or research points to do anything so don't bother playing them. If Rome or Carthage look to big for you then try Macedonia or Egypt. I'm currently playing a game with the Seleucids and believe it or not it is tough slogging. You have a giant empire where everyone wants to rebel, all of your neighbors hate you, and worst of all you have no manpower. There just aren't enough Greeks in your massive nonGreek empire.

So what is the Greek Emperor of the east to do? The only solution I've found is to buy mercenaries and hunker down hoping provinces will convert to Greek culture. If enough of them do then you'll have a power house but until then the best you can hope for is to pick off a few Greek provinces from other countries when they're deep into a war with someone else. Oh, and watch out for those bloody Egyptians, they attack constantly.
    Last edited by Dinner; April 25, 2008, 09:37.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I just uninstalled this and EU3. Fun for a few hours but didn't do anything for me long term. EU3 is just too similar to EU2, and Rome doesn't offer any gameplay other than wack an army.
      Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Originally posted by pg
        I just uninstalled this and EU3. Fun for a few hours but didn't do anything for me long term. EU3 is just too similar to EU2, and Rome doesn't offer any gameplay other than wack an army.
        I'm actually thinking about buying Crusader Kings to play while waiting for Rome to get patched. Tech problems, assassin spam, ping pong armies.... Guess I should have expected as much from an initial Paradox release.
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

There's just too much happening at once. I did manage to defeat Carthage, but only because I know what Rome actually did. Technically my strategy was to raise some troops send them into Iberia, get my ass kicked, make a nuissance of myself, then about 2 years into it slap myself on the forehead, load up 16,000 men and then drop them off in Carthage. I then sent 11,000 more when the city fell and swept away the militia units the carthaginians raised around their capital. Ultimately I was able to get them to surrender all their African possessions except the capital.
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie

I'm actually thinking about buying Crusader Kings to play while waiting for Rome to get patched. Tech problems, assassin spam, ping pong armies.... Guess I should have expected as much from an initial Paradox release.
            Im enjoying CK and patch 1.05 is a really cool game. Im still having micro issues - keeping dozens of vassals happy is a pain, and it would be a lot easier if the UI would let me give a bribe to all of them, or groups of them, at once, instead of having to click on each one (you can help all of them by reducing scutage to zero, though). Of course the game isnt designed for you to have as big an empire as Ive got - one of the problems with Paradox games is how long they are, so you move up the learning curve far in one game. When I started this playing on normal and with a kingdon with room for easy expansion was a good idea - by now ive got the hang of it to the point where I should be playing on hard or very hard, or starting with a Duchy or County.

Im also not sure how much the Deus Vult expansion solves the UI issues.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

By UI you mean user interface? DV is imo a clear improvement to vanilla CK in that. It also reduces some messages spam - for example you don't have to worry about closing msg boxes about techs, you just get a text on the map over a province that has gotten a new tech. You also get those nice "alert" icons that hint you about something, for example when a court position is empty, when someone can marry etc, etc. There's still enough what you have to micromanage of course.....

But overall I'm more into playing Vicky/Revolutions right now, since DV has still some issues (they are still patching it)
              Blah

Comment

DV is a must have. When it comes to the older PI games btw, an important event happened a few days ago: PI has released their old EU engine (pre EU3), and indie developers can now use the engine to make new games and most important, expansions to the old games. A team consisting of some of the modders that makes VIP for Victoria, has already announced their plans to make an expansion to said game. Interesting times ahead.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

BeBro: There have been two new beta patches for DV lately, in case you've missed them.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

The 1.2 patch is out now. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Us CE'ers have had it for some days.

Comment

Working...
                      X