Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German gamers - are German tastes in gaming different from US tastes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark
    so lets see of the 4 euros whove posted thus far, one didnt address the q directly (proteus) and the others all disagreed with Asher. Whos mainly responded with attacks on the PS3. Which may be correct for all I know, but sure dont explain the Americans (and brits, canucks, and aussies) whove bought the PS3 and games for it.
    And this for a good reason:
    Of my friends only a few possess a console, and those few have the PS2 (and don´t plan to buy a new console in the near or far future)
    I have more friends that are into PC gaming than those who like gaming on a console (and a few of those that have a console are more into PC gaming as well and only rarely use the console).

As for myself, my last console was an Atari during the 80s and I don´t plan to buy a console in the near or far future (I´m more into Strategy/RPG/Simulation, for which the PC is much better suited)

So I would be the wrong person to address any preferences concerning PS3 and the XBOX 360
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
      Sorry, I'm still quite new to poly, don't know you well enough yet Asher.
      Hmmm... let's put it this way... You are blessed to not know him well enough yet. Happy you!

Comment

I'm not saying there's an organized, widespread anti-American boycott in Germany and other non-English European countries. I think there's a subtle contempt for America and American corporations that exists that can influence the purchasing patterns of its citizens.
        I'm not sure there's more of an anti american bias than anti japanese bias in Europe.
        Asher, you didn't pick japanese figures. Why? I think the Japanese are pro japanese, overall. I think that Americans, and native English speakers tend to be pro American.
        I do not understand why your statement is focused solely on America. All your arguments could be viewed as 'Germans are pro Japan' rather than 'anti American'.

Let's suppose there are pro American and pro Japanese bias, which can be negative and thus be anti.

Are you sure North American bias are both 0?

If you decide this is the case, then Europeans may have anti american bias, or may have pro Japanese bias.
        Even then it may be pro/anti Sony/MS and not necessarily country based.

Also, where do you find figures for national sales of consoles? I couldn't find them for Korea for instance, and a breakdown of European figures (UK, Germany, France, ITaly mostly) could give a few hints.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Going back to one of LOTMs original questions about games....There seems to be a lot more enthusiasm for strategy and stat heavy PC Games in Germany and some of the countries surrounding.

I often see previews or small features on games that look of interest but never get an english translation or if they do it's much later. Gothic, AD series, The Guild, Knights of Honor are all examples of the types of games I enjoy that originated in Eastern Europe. The Witcher (although Polish) also has what I'd consider a distinctive German/European style.

Going back to the Amiga days there's were always interesting RPGs appearing like Blade of Destiny.

In a completely non scientific way I always think of French Games as quirky and German games as stat heavy.

Comment

Edited From Financial Times - 18/09/2007

Having only launched its DS Lite handheld games player in South Korea in January, it has already sold 270,000 units in four months.

Its enormously popular Wii console is still not available in South Korea

After the problems Nintendo has encountered with illegal DS software uploads in South Korea, the company will probably not rush to launch the Wii there - at least not until local prosecutors crack down on illegal uploads.

Comment

You proponent of non-scientifc game racism!

( )
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Well I didn't have any opinions on the Xbox/PS3 debate so had to content myself with some general stereotypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

The United States of America is an embarrassment to the world. That's just objectively speaking, their human rights record has shown steady deterioration.
                  Asher isnt some US neocon bashing the EU cause its "commie" which would naturally elicit your post above. he doesnt like the EU cause its tough on Microsoft to which he has a much stronger allegiance than to any state.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I don't like the EU in almost all cases they make the news. Whether it be Airbus ****, Intel ****, Microsoft ****, Kyoto ****, etc. It's a bunch of idiots, and I'm pretty sure they're certified as such.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That's funny, I thought this thread was about tastes in gaming, not some OT crap about making stupid generalisations about entire countries, cultures and organisations.

Comment

The original reason behind this thread was a comment directly related to entire countries and cultures, DrSpike. LOTM didnt really compehend it. And I think, judging by the game sales alone, the argument that Germany has "very different tastes" in games has been settled.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The original reason behind this thread was a comment directly related to entire countries and cultures, DrSpike.

Whoosh.

Comment

Working...
                          X