EVE patch kills boot.ini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike
    In that case this has to go down as the worst patch in history I think.
    Maybe. I have heard legends of a patch that would overwrite your BIOS, but I'm not sure if such a thing actually exists.

This certainly is one of the biggest screwups, though. It won't actually damage your data or anything, but it does get the computer into a state where the average user won't be able to repair it.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Just hope noone installed it on their work machine:
      "Hey, Jack, my computer won't boot?"
      "Mmmm... Been playing EVE recently?"
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Only those who meet ->ALL <- of the following criteria need to take further steps:

* You started downloading the upgrade from Trinity Classic Graphics Content to Premium Graphics Content BEFORE 04:00 GMT on Dec 6
        * You must be using a version of Windows other than Vista.
        * You must have Windows installed not on the primary partition.
        * or You must have at least 2 hard disks and the OS must be installed NOT on the primary, but the secondary hard disk.
        So after reading this thread, I was perplexed at never having seen a file called boot.ini on my computer. Then I realized what was important about CrONoS' post.

You see, only true computer nerd would install windows somewhere other than the primary disk in partition C. Yes, fixing this would be beyond the capability of the average user, but the possibility of the average user being affected is virtually nil.

But, I agree with Solver, it was stupid coding to use a file name already in critically important use by windows.
        There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Actually, any Windows NT computer has a boot.ini... but I believe it defaults to the default installation (on the primary drive, etc.) if it doesn't find it or is faulty.

You probably have 'show hidden files' unchecked.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, it's just that the vast majority of users do not have these critical system files shown. Which is just as well.

It's rare even for nerds to install Windows on a partition different than C:, really. I did once end up without a C: drive at all, and Windows on E:, on my PC, but that was quite a coincidence and surprised me, too.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue

You see, only true computer nerd would install windows somewhere other than the primary disk in partition C. Yes, fixing this would be beyond the capability of the average user, but the possibility of the average user being affected is virtually nil.
              I think that those that posted earlier did not understand this.

Comment

Working...
              X