X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVE patch kills boot.ini

Relevant Fixes

Forum Thread on the matter

To all SDN EVE players: If you don't know by now, DO NOT REBOOT YOUR COMPUTERS!

The article:

6.12.2007 11:47:45
    ALERT: READ THIS IF YOU INSTALLED TRINITY BEFORE 4 A.M. GMT
    If you have Windows AND upgraded EVE Online: Trinity Classic before 4 A.M. GMT to Premium using the content upgrade path then you MUST read this before doing anything else.

1. PLEASE DO NOT REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER
    2. Check the root directory of your hard drive and see if you have a boot.ini file. Boot.ini file is normally hidden so you need to click Tools : Folder Options : View and select "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" to be able to see it. You can also check for the presence of this file by clicking Start : Control Panel : System : Advanced : Startup and Recovery : Settings (third button down). Windows will alert you if the boot.ini file is missing.
    3. If boot.ini is still there then you are not affected and do not have to take any further steps.
    4. If boot.ini is NOT there then please click here: FORUM LINK

We have removed the faulty updater so anyone installing the Trinity Expansion now will not be effected.

A new updater will be available shortly.

We apologize profusely for this error and are working on offering more extensive help those that have a non-working Windows PC, so please stay tuned.

How the Christ does one manage that?
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

LOLZ!

Comment

I logged on within 1 hour of the system going live. I also, like many EVE players, know my system and know how to handle things.

Additiionally, my system wasn't good enough to have the graphics update, so I didn't even have this bug effect me.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

sounds intentional to me. this cant be a fluke.
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

So Frank Spencer got himself a job computer programming?
          Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Oooh Betty!
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

This ranks fairly low on the list of MMO blunders, but still a good one.

I remember when AO launched, there was a bug out there that would not only your bios but would physically kill your hard drive.

Comment

I'd guess this was a hack of some form... ie, intentional (not by EVE but by some person). There's no way you replace boot.ini by accident, you shouldn't be doing anything to that folder not to mention that file.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Took from the website:
                  Only those who meet ALL of the following criteria need to take further steps:

* You started downloading the upgrade from Trinity Classic Graphics Content to Premium Graphics Content BEFORE 04:00 GMT on Dec 6
                  * You must be using a version of Windows other than Vista.
                  * You must have Windows installed not on the primary partition.
                  * or You must have at least 2 hard disks and the OS must be installed NOT on the primary, but the secondary hard disk.
                  bleh

Comment

Anyone tried the game with the new grx engine update?
                    bleh

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      I'd guess this was a hack of some form... ie, intentional (not by EVE but by some person). There's no way you replace boot.ini by accident, you shouldn't be doing anything to that folder not to mention that file.
                      No, it's stupid coding. The game was supposed to write to a file called boot.ini in the game's folder to set certain graphics parameters. Yes, it's stupid to name a config file boot.ini, but it's not a fatal blunder in itself. The fatal blunder was an error with backslashes when coding the file path, resulting in it pointing to boot.ini in the root directory. Not with the best results.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

How screwed are you if you reboot with the faulty patch? Presumably you can still fix it in safe mode.

Comment

You can't boot into safe mode if your boot.ini is hosed. You'd need to use the recovery disk.

Anyway, even if you could fix it from safe mode, it's beyond the capabilities of the average user. The average user needs to quickly get his/her favorite geek some coffee to get it fixed.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

In that case this has to go down as the worst patch in history I think.

Comment

I can't believe anyone would be THAT stupid (to name a game file boot.ini...)
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X