Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new Star Wars MMO, made by Bioware? The rumours could be true...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi

Games arnt products, they are people-though the industry likes to treat them like products. The team in austin will make a vastly different game from the team in canada. dedication to quality is irrelevant
    Are you kidding?

Games are products as much as any other. I'm a mechanical engineer. An engineer influences a pysical product as much as a software designer does a virtual one. You'd be AMAZED!!!

The overall company governs any product, game or not, in its quality. I'm so tired of listening to software/game designers acting as if their product is so vastly different than any other. As if they deal with issued that other people don't.

There are freedoms allowed by the top brass and there are guidelines set. The bottom line is that a company has standards. If Bioware is a good company, they wont let a sub standard branch in the bad ol' US ruin it. And if they do, like I said, i'd beware any future game they let out.
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473

I'm just curious how you know that what you consider the real Bioware isn't in the loop on this one. You mentioned 2 offices, but how can you know that the one you dislike is the one involved here?

Maybe the Bioware you allude to in Canada as the one we all know does indeed have a role in this project?
      The studio in Austin was announced last year to be working on an MMORPG as its first game.

The name isn't what's important in a company, it's the quality of the talent pool. Bioware in Edmonton is filled with PhDs and geniuses, and the people in Austin are all employees who made failed games for other companies.

Sorry for not having huge expectations.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
        Besides, even if it is a different location, quality doesn't neccesarily suffer. I just want to know how you dug that out of the press release. A company has a vested interest in continuing quality, no matter how many offices are scattered around the globe.

How good could good ol' bioware be if they choose to hire inferior designers for their other offices? If that's the case, then i'd start to seriously examine the main office as well as your opinion of their games.
        You act like this is unusual?

Compare Rockstar (UK) with Rockstar Vancouver and Rockstar Toronto's games. The name doesn't mean everything, it's the people.

It's very common for there to be one really good team, then other branches opening up with the same dev-house name but seriously lacking quality. Another example is Ubisoft...Ubisoft Montreal has a AAA-record for games, Ubisoft Shanghai is..well, less.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Are you kidding?

Games are products as much as any other. I'm a mechanical engineer. An engineer influences a pysical product as much as a software designer does a virtual one. You'd be AMAZED!!!

The overall company governs any product, game or not, in its quality. I'm so tired of listening to software/game designers acting as if their product is so vastly different than any other. As if they deal with issued that other people don't.

There are freedoms allowed by the top brass and there are guidelines set. The bottom line is that a company has standards. If Bioware is a good company, they wont let a sub standard branch in the bad ol' US ruin it. And if they do, like I said, i'd beware any future game they let out.

Yeah right

You can hire an army of artists but they still cant make a mona lisa
          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Well turns out I was right. They are using people from Origin. Namely Damion Schubert as the lead combat designer, who did UO's combat.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
            X