No announcement yet.

Console Wars II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done my homework to show you that companies are profiting from the wii, which was my original point. To what degree they are profitting from the wii compared to the 360, and vice-versa, I have no clue, because I haven't seen numbers.
    It's possible to profit on the Wii, as you've shown with shovelware crap like Cooking Mama.

The question is, are these profits acceptable? The vast majority of games would sell far better on the 360 than the Wii. And they have if they're also released on the 360. The writing is on the wall: unless you're making a game like Cooking Mama or Trauma Centre, you release it on the 360...not the Wii. I'm sure you're familiar with the term opportunity costs.

And when the novelty factor of Cooking Mama and Trauma Centre wear off, so will sales. They're joke games, to use movie lingo they'd be "C-games" like "C-movies". You can make a profit doin that, sure, but it's not the biggest market in the world.

So while huge developers like MAJESCO and ATLUS can and do turn a profit on the Wii, big, real developers are not. You keep asking for links, and I'm asking you to use your head. You know as well as I do -- and you've ACKNOWLEDGED -- that Wii 3rd party sales really suck with a few exceptions. Look at those sales for MySims and Boogie for Wii, and tell me those made a profit. Look at ANY of EA's Wii releases and tell me they made a profit...

There's money being lost on a lot of Wii games not selling at all. The 360 has what, 25 games with 1 million+ units sold? How many does the Wii have? How comparable are their install bases?

One platform is selling games, the other isn't. Profit for game companies is made when these games sell. Keep asking for links you know don't exist, but try to use your head when analyzing the situation.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I friggin love Atlus

Etrian Odyssey is probably in my top 5 games of the year.
      I also loved Trauma Center, and can't wait to play the sequel.

Majesco I was throwing out there because 1) its one of the few links I could find and 2) I knew you would get a kick out of me citing Cooking Mama as a "hit"

Boogie is a piece of garbage, but I expect my sims to sell well enough.
      I have no clue what the break even point is for other games. Tiger 07 sold fairly well, 08 not so much.
      From videos, EA playground actually looks enjoyable enough to pick up and play, for me, maybe it will fare better.
      EA needs to actually market their products on the Wii, it seems like they only care about madden and tiger.

Frankly, EA has fared more poorly than other 3rd parties on the wii, I have no clue why. Flop Flop Flop.

The 360 has 25 million sellers nearing year 3. From what I can tell, a fair number of those million sellers were from the second year of the 360. The Wii has 8 nearing year 2. Who knows how many the Wii will have, once its been out for another year, with another year of development, with actual non-crap 3rd party games scheduled for release. Yes, I know those games aren't interesting to you whatsoever.

Hey, anyway, this was amusing anyway, I'm barely serious about any of this, just mostly curious (my wife is asleep on the couch, so I can't play bioshock)

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Not buying this in the slightest. The control scheme is different, yes, but that doesn't factor heavily into development costs AT ALL.
        Perhaps it should've then?

Check out Prime 3 when you get a chance. You'll have to deal with a painful intro with tedious scanning, but the actual combat is quite fluid, if you can stand to get there. Vastly better than those early 3rd party efforts.

Comment

Not buying this in the slightest. The control scheme is different, yes, but that doesn't factor heavily into development costs AT ALL.

Are you kidding? Especially given that Red Steel was trying specifically to take advantage of the new controller?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

The chips and APIs are 100% completely identical to the Gamecube. T
            Is this another instance of Asher's hyperbole on tech questions? That's 3 he's been caught out on in one week.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Sorry. I don't give out my XBL details to people I detest. I changed my tag recently in any case, and I'll change it again if it gets plastered over here.

Whoever wants to can feel free to pretend I've never played Halo 3 or any other Xbox game. I really don't give a ****. It makes absolutely no difference to the content of my posts.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Sorry. I don't give out my XBL details to people I detest. I changed my tag recently in any case, and I'll change it again if it gets plastered over here.

Whoever wants to can feel free to pretend I've never played Halo 3 or any other Xbox game. I really don't give a ****. It makes absolutely no difference to the content of my posts.
                B.S.

It takes all of 2 seconds to permanently ignore any specific player from contacting you in any way in any game. It certainly does make a difference, if you're making peculiar claims about the game that strongly suggest you haven't fully played it. Then when you go out of your way to avoid giving out your ID which can exonerate you on these accusations, you steadfastly refuse with some more nonsense.

If someone you don't like adds you as a friend, hit block + deny...last you'll ever hear from them.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Are you kidding? Especially given that Red Steel was trying specifically to take advantage of the new controller?
                  Since when does a control scheme account for millions of dollars of development? Think about it...please think about it.

It is a factor in the development, but it's not something expensive to, say, double the cost of development...

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Is this another instance of Asher's hyperbole on tech questions? That's 3 he's been caught out on in one week.
                    There's an additional API for the Wiimote, sure.

But all of the chips in the Wii and all of the development-intensive APIs are 100% identical to the Gamecube, which has been in developers' hands since 2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Perhaps it should've then?

Check out Prime 3 when you get a chance. You'll have to deal with a painful intro with tedious scanning, but the actual combat is quite fluid, if you can stand to get there. Vastly better than those early 3rd party efforts.
                      Too many AAA-rated games on 360 to get to AA Wii games anytime soon.

From what I've read, I'll enjoy MP3 about the same as MP1/2 (which is to say, not as much). Tedious backtracking, boring gameplay, all that jazz. And if it's anywhere similar to RE4:Wii in control scheme, even that won't be able to save it (I only played about an hour's worth of RE4:Wii and haven't been able to pick it up again).

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

There's an additional API for the Wiimote, sure.

But all of the chips in the Wii and all of the development-intensive APIs are 100% identical to the Gamecube, which has been in developers' hands since 2000.
                        I'm sure this is true - it's not what you said before though (that Kuci objected to).

Comment

• So developers are losing money, but if theyre making money, what theyre doing must be crap, cause Asher says so. Only the games HE likes are "REAL" games.

Carry on gentlemen. Shouldnt it be time for a new thread?
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                            So developers are losing money, but if theyre making money, what theyre doing must be crap, cause Asher says so. Only the games HE likes are "REAL" games.

Carry on gentlemen. Shouldnt it be time for a new thread?
                            Oh, you sure showed me. Cooking Mama is a real game. Please accept my apologies.

Another awesome game that I'm sure makes a profit is the NET JET Online Gaming System: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/Product...&ID=19091&PG=1

Real games

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Oh, you sure showed me. Cooking Mama is a real game. Please accept my apologies.

Another awesome game that I'm sure makes a profit is the NET JET Online Gaming System: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/Product...&ID=19091&PG=1

Real games
                              Cooking sims are not real games. Shooting sims ARE real games. Cooking sims are not real games. Shooting sims ARE real games.

Must repeat this 100 times.

and no, I havent played cooking mama. Perhaps its trash, even in terms of what its trying to do.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• There are video games, and then there's toy games. A lot of the DS games like Cooking Mama and Trauma Centre fit into that category. Maybe it's just me being an elitist, but they really don't fit into your "video gamer" demographic and fit in more with the Tickle Me Elmo crowd (which the Wii has certainly tapped). So perhaps you're just confused by my terminology.

In real video gaming news, more 95%+ games are coming out for the 360:

Call of Duty 4's first review is a 10/10.
                                Mass Effect's first review is a 9.75/10.

Comment

Working...
                                X