Console Wars II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike

Well the attach rate should increase slightly over time (homework for those with too much time - compare Xbox attach rates from now to those a year after release) and they do have a lot of dross to pick up some slack.
    Simple google search.

Xbox 360 attach rate in November '05 (launch month): 4 games per console
    November '06 (a year after release): 5.0 games per console
    January '07: 5.3 games per console
    360 attach rate today: ? (But Halo 3's 3.3 mil sold in the US is 50% of US hardware, so it's at least 0.5 higher...)

Wii attach rate in Nov '06 (launch month): 3 games per console, including Wii Sports (so, 2 games per console...)
    Wii attach rate today: ?

PS3 attach rate in Nov '06 (launch month) 1.5 games per console
    PS3 attach rate today: ?

I'm also not convinced Nintendo's attach rate will go too much higher. The Wii is aging a lot quicker than the 360.
    Last edited by Asher; October 20, 2007, 16:10.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
      re4 has blow way past expectations for CapCom
      Yes, a value title of a last-generation port released onto a platform with virtually no worthwhile software. It's a brilliant move on their part, but not a rule (it's an exception).

Majesco was saved in large part to Cooking Mama (haha)
      Trauma Center is one of Atlus' best selling games.
      Who the hell is Atlus? I've seen you mention them before, but who the hell are they and why is the best-selling title of a no-name video company an accomplishment?

Trauma Center was God awful, by the way. I actually own that turd. :|

Sega-Sonic outsold its 360 counterpart, Mario and Sonic Olympics should sell quite well.
      Sonic? Yes, by all means. Sonic sales are the weathervane of a successful software ecosystem...

Ubisoft had Red steel and rayman, both sold very well
      For all the wrong reasons. Atrocious games, people didn't know what they were getting into since it was released so early in the lifecycle. Do you think Red Steel 2 would sell well?

Are 3rd parties doing that poorly, really? Especially considering the lower production costs. A game can sell 100-200k copies on the wii and be successful, not so much on the 360 or ps3.
      That's BS. According to developers, your typical Wii game costs 5-8 million to make. A typical 360 game is 10-15 million.

Fun fact: Gears of War cost $10M to make. (4.81 million sold)
      Red Steel cost $12.75M to make. (1.02 million sold)

Google it if you don't believe me. The hype about the Wii being cheaper to make games on is grossly overstated, particularly given how the lack of competent development tools for Wii increases costs while the 360's lowers it.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Yes, a value title of a last-generation port released onto a platform with virtually no worthwhile software. It's a brilliant move on their part, but not a rule (it's an exception).

Who the hell is Atlus? I've seen you mention them before, but who the hell are they and why is the best-selling title of a no-name video company an accomplishment?

Trauma Center was God awful, by the way. I actually own that turd. :|

Sonic? Yes, by all means. Sonic sales are the weathervane of a successful software ecosystem...

For all the wrong reasons. Atrocious games, people didn't know what they were getting into since it was released so early in the lifecycle. Do you think Red Steel 2 would sell well?
        Note: The discussion was profits, not subjective quality. Please do try to keep up.

you can wave your hand at whatever reason to dismiss what success the wii has had, port, mario game, launch game, etc etc, but there have been profits made by more than Nintendo.

Comment

dp

Comment

Note: The discussion was profits, not subjective quality. Please do try to keep up.

you can wave your hand at whatever reason to dismiss what success the wii has had, port, mario game, launch game, etc etc, but there have been profits made by more than Nintendo.
            Sure, let's talk profits.

Gears of War cost $10M to make. (4.81 million sold)
            Note: Gears of War also sold for $60 on release and now, compared to $50 for Red Steel on release and $30 now.

Which platform generates WAY more profits for third parties? It's an easy answer. Yes, this is about profits -- but not just Nintendo profits.

How much profit did MS make in the past 3 weeks alone? Again: Nintendo is moving its profits to the short-term, MS to the long-term.

Comment

Simple google search.

Xbox 360 attach rate in November '04 (launch month): 4 games per console
              November '06 (a year after release): 5.0 games per console
              January '07: 5.3 games per console
              360 attach rate today: ? (But Halo 3's 3.3 mil sold in the US is 50% of US hardware, so it's at least 0.5 higher...)

Wii attach rate in Nov '06 (launch month): 3 games per console, including Wii Sports (so, 2 games per console...)
              Wii attach rate today: ?

PS3 attach rate in Nov '06 (launch month) 1.5 games per console
              PS3 attach rate today: ?

I'm also not convinced Nintendo's attach rate will go too much higher. The Wii is aging a lot quicker than the 360.
              Thanks and nice to see I was right - it's like you're my *****.

Comment

Sure, let's talk profits.

Gears of War cost $10M to make. (4.81 million sold)
                Note: Gears of War also sold for $60 on release and now, compared to $50 for Red Steel on release and $30 now.

Which platform generates WAY more profits for third parties? It's an easy answer. Yes, this is about profits -- but not just Nintendo profits.

How much profit did MS make in the past 3 weeks alone? Again: Nintendo is moving its profits to the short-term, MS to the long-term.
                Please stay on topic , we're talking about 3rd parties viability and profitability on the consoles, not 1st parties be it MS or Nintendo.

You're comparing a launch title published by a 3rd party to a game released a year after the console published by MS (and hence, by a group more accustomed to working with the system).

A more apt comparison would be something like Kameo or Call of Duty 2, or something along those lines, though I haven't a clue where those fall compared to Red Steel.

Comment

Please stay on topic , we're talking about 3rd parties viability and profitability on the consoles, not 1st parties be it MS or Nintendo.

Those were both developed by third party studios.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Those were both developed by third party studios.
                    Gears was published by MS.

Comment

So what?

Comment

This is a month old, Im afraid, but here goes:

"Capcom's stocks just hit a five-year high on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and it looks like this has something to do with wiggle wands and Raccoon City.

It seems that Capcom (and its stock holders) are banking on the success of upcoming Capcom titles developed for the Nintendo Wii. Bloomberg says that Capcom stock rose 6.3 percent to 2,855 yen, its highest close since Sept. 26th, 2002. Shares have climbed 14 percent over the past two days and 33 percent this year.

Capcom expects sales to increase 11 percent this year as they've doubled the number of Wii games to six, which includes titles like We Love Golf and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles.

There's a lot riding on the Resident Evil name, but Resident Evil 4 Wii edition sales numbers show that RE is a good fit for Nintendo's console. This game was among the top 10 titles sold in Japan and the U.S. in June.

Resident Evil's Wii edition has continued to sell well,'' said Jay Defibaugh, an analyst at Credit Suisse Group in Tokyo who rates Capcom shares "outperform.''

Also, thoughts: Cowzilla's C-blog has an interesting take on Capcom's Nintendo love and how it has finally paid off from the Gamecube days.
                        "
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Gears was published by MS.
                          Unless you want to say Epic is wholly owned by MS, it's not first party.

The point still stands. Comparative development costs, huge difference in revenues....figure out what the means w.r.t. profit.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                            This is a month old, Im afraid, but here goes:

"Capcom's stocks just hit a five-year high on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and it looks like this has something to do with wiggle wands and Raccoon City.

It seems that Capcom (and its stock holders) are banking on the success of upcoming Capcom titles developed for the Nintendo Wii. Bloomberg says that Capcom stock rose 6.3 percent to 2,855 yen, its highest close since Sept. 26th, 2002. Shares have climbed 14 percent over the past two days and 33 percent this year.

Capcom expects sales to increase 11 percent this year as they've doubled the number of Wii games to six, which includes titles like We Love Golf and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles.

There's a lot riding on the Resident Evil name, but Resident Evil 4 Wii edition sales numbers show that RE is a good fit for Nintendo's console. This game was among the top 10 titles sold in Japan and the U.S. in June.

Resident Evil's Wii edition has continued to sell well,'' said Jay Defibaugh, an analyst at Credit Suisse Group in Tokyo who rates Capcom shares "outperform.''

Also, thoughts: Cowzilla's C-blog has an interesting take on Capcom's Nintendo love and how it has finally paid off from the Gamecube days.
                            "
                            I see you're new to this whole interweb thing.

Some hard and fast rules:
                            1) Cite articles you quote
                            2) Use quote functionality in forums
                            3) Use non-ridiculously biased sources that are clearly op-ed columns masquerading as an article

Comment

I see you're new to this whole interweb thing.

Some hard and fast rules:
                              1) Cite articles you quote
                              2) Use quote functionality in forums
                              3) Use non-ridiculously biased sources that are clearly op-ed columns masquerading as an article
                              Its just a blog post, Asher.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

It's still nice when you cite things so we know it's not credible without having to read that trash first.

Comment

Working...
                                X