Console Wars II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark
    given that Nintendo is production constrained, its likely that 360 will continue to outsell Wii through December, that makes sense.
    I'm so tired of that argument. They've had a year to significantly ramp up production on a simple console, and they haven't. The fact that they strategically refuse to increase production means that using the limited production capabilities isn't really relevant in any sales discussion.

If we're going to discuss the Wii attach rate, Id like to see the actual data on the attach rate, not speculate from the top ten games in one month.
    Nintendo doesnt release that data, but it's bound to be pathetic for very obvious reasons. Every single month, the 360 dominates software sales (then again, the 360 has set records for software attach rates).

At any rate they did better in software sales than PS3 for whatever thats worth.
    PS3 has a tiny fraction of the install base.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
      So a console that's been out two years is beating consoles that have only been out one year. Big deal. You realize the PS2 Madden still outsells 360 Madden? Consoles that have been out longer just do better. And this is not open for debate, this is a fact like one you could look up online or in a book and confirm to be true.
      As has been shown, you're completely incorrect. I love backfiring.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Gaming is about the games. The Wii is pushing a lot of hardware, but not the games.
        yep

even **** games like Juarez and two worlds will sell 200k, which the wii struggles to get with non N brand games.

effect of achievements?

What really blows is that Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon both bombed, (especially in comparison to their budgets) which are more in tune with my tastes (though I cared for neither's demo)

Comment

By the way, Aggie, Warhawk sold 45,000 this month. It's now at about 70,000 total.

Comment

By the way, Aggie, Warhawk sold 45,000 this month. It's now at about 70,000 total.

but but psn download sales, right????

so the three big post launch release exclusives, Lair, Warhawk, and Heavenly Sword have all been tremendous flops.

Would love to see how much in the red those projects are.

But there's ratchet and uncharted, right??

Comment

They're hyping Haze now as a Halo-killer as well. a Haze producer publically took swipes at Halo.

Can't wait for Agathon's praise for how awesome Haze is.

Comment

I'm so tired of that argument. They've had a year to significantly ramp up production on a simple console, and they haven't. The fact that they strategically refuse to increase production means that using the limited production capabilities isn't really relevant in any sales discussion.
                Argument about what? Im saying 360 will sell more units than wii the next three months. Do you disagree? If not, what are we arguing about?
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I'm disagreeing with the "supply-constrained" excuse. It's clearly part of their strategy.

Comment

The best part of the 360's sales was the comment from Nintendo's exec that the people interested in Halo already had 360s. Clearly.

If 3 million copies of Halo were sold in the same time as a lot less than 500,000 360's, then the statement is obviously true...

Comment

I'm disagreeing with the "supply-constrained" excuse. It's clearly part of their strategy.

So you think that A. They could have sold 600,000 Wiis, but deliberately only made 500,000, to keep folks excited or
                      B. Unconstrained, 500,000 is exactly how many they could sell, and they managed to predict this right on the mark and aimed for exactly that level of production.

I think its at least as likely that they didnt expect the HW sales to continue at this pace. Why would they? Like youve said over and over, the games arent there. How many little old ladies interested in Wii sports, and willing to part with over $200 for a console, are there? It seems quite reasonable to me that they havent ramped up production, cause they keep expecting sales to go down.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

but but psn download sales, right????
                        Britney sells more than Beethoven.

So what. Only a cretin would prefer Britney.

Warhawk is a far superior multiplayer shooting game to Halo 3. In Warhawk you actually get useful vehicles, real tank battles, and aircraft that fly like aircraft should, and huge maps and 32 player games (a 16v16 dogfight match is pretty awesome, with crap flying everywhere). Halo 3 can only manage half that.

But no, people would rather play a 4x4 deathmatch in what looks like a dockside warehouse while jumping up and down like monkeys (just like real fighting soldiers do - at least GOW got that right). What's the point of a sniper rifle if the map is so small that you might as well use a regular rifle? In Warhawk, you can snipe from half a mile away, and there are real hills and real cliffs that make an actual difference.

You could fit Valhalla more than 20 times into the largest version of Eucadia or Island Outpost.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I really doubt that, if you count lifetime sales...

Comment

But then again, Beethoven has got an unfair advantage in lifetime.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

So what. Only a cretin would prefer Britney.

Warhawk is a far superior multiplayer shooting game to Halo 3. In Warhawk you actually get useful vehicles, real tank battles, and aircraft that fly like aircraft should, and huge maps and 32 player games (a 16v16 dogfight match is pretty awesome, with crap flying everywhere). Halo 3 can only manage half that.

But no, people would rather play a 4x4 deathmatch in what looks like a dockside warehouse while jumping up and down like monkeys (just like real fighting soldiers do - at least GOW got that right). What's the point of a sniper rifle if the map is so small that you might as well use a regular rifle? In Warhawk, you can snipe from half a mile away, and there are real hills and real cliffs that make an actual difference.

You could fit Valhalla more than 20 times into the largest version of Eucadia or Island Outpost.
                              Warhawk is a different type of MP than Halo. If you want the kind you're describing, the Battlefield series is way better than Warhawk. You complain that the maps are too small, yet I think most of them are too big. I don't want to play in 20 mile by 20 mile map with 10 people, that's just boring. I found Warhawk to be a decent-at-best shooter, kind of a poor man's Battlefield. Its MP doesn't even come close to Halo's when it comes to the simple fun factor.

Your comment about "real fighting soldiers" is classic too -- do you understand the Spartan armour? "Real fighting soldiers" are not played in Halo, Aggie...SPARTANS in powered combat suits do, and they can and do jump. Weakass argument on your part, as usual.

People aren't buying Warhawk because it's simply not very good. There's tons of "hardcore" gamers on the PS3 and very few of them are interested in it. From your posts here and at MacRumours, you admit you're fairly new to this whole multiplayer thing -- so I guess that's why ~2000-era derivative multiplayer gaming that's essentially a clone of Battlefield interests you. It's kind of stale for most of us.

And Halo has way more than just deathmatches...again, Agathon, man up and give us your gamertag and bungie.net account. And again, someone else please ask him so he can't use the "Asher is on ignore" excuse when he reads this.
                              Last edited by Asher; October 19, 2007, 08:24.

Comment

Submitted without comment...

Comment

Working...
                                X