No announcement yet.

Console Wars II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw today that Norway's biggest computer mag have a test of 360's and PS3's abilities as media servers. To make things short, they concluded both had weaknesses and strenghts that made them mostly equal, but the 360 won because of the media center software being way suprerior. If only my little brother could have listened to that, countless other tests and me, and bought a 360 instead of reading the PlayStation name and buy that overpriced thing.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
      You ditch the Wii for being sold for less than the price of a new when in a used state. I call that a weak argument.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
        I'm discussing the market value for the new one, quite obviously. But thank you for the semantic argument, it was missed in your absence.

Well thats hardly surprising, its not common for used copies of manufactured goods to sell for the same prices as new ones. Does the 360 used sell for as much as a new one? It was only during the initial mad rush with shortages that one might expect the used ones to sell as much as new ones. Clearly Wii is not in such short supply any more.

My point is that if the used Wii sells for $150 to $200, say, thats a pretty big opportunity cost for a dust collector, especially something small and as easy to sell as a console.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Uh. What?

Im suggesting that an FPS is to a toy guy what the Sims is to a doll house.

ALthough that might apply more accurately to an open ended FPS. In fact FPS are typically pretty linear, IIUC. I suppose one could construct a linear "Sims" game, but I think folks like what Wright did more than they would something like that.

You can quibble over games vs software toys, if you wish, evidently lots of people can use semantic arguements. The fact is what we are talking about is interactive electronic entertainment, with or without game designer assigned goals, linearity, etc.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

Will Wright isnt a real gamer dont ya know, he doesnt have the credibility of the folks who post here.
            He doesn't have the credibility of a wet sponge.

Comment

• you're hardly unbiased here.

Comment

• Wii is winning next-gen shock! but we all knew that anyway. I guess most folks in the market for a next-gen console don't really care about how many transistors it has?

Comment

• Is it winning next-gen?

That includes DS sales, those numbers.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I missed that one - it looks like it has more details for those that want to work it out.

Me.....i'm so not bothered, other than in connection to good gaming not being just about graphics, as this amazing nintendo turn around could point towards? - it having the 'weakest' machines display wise(either home or handheld).

Which ever way you cut it, going from last place for many years to top dog by not following the herd mentality of 'graphics is king' tells its own story about games and gamers.

Comment

• Finally some attach rate numbers for the Wii. Looks like theyre matching PS3, and about half of the 360. I leave it to others to tell me what proportion of the Wii sales are WiiPlay and so should be deducted.

Hardly just collecting dust, ISTM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike

He doesn't have the credibility of a wet sponge.

Cmon doc, if hed only made SimCity and nothing else he'd be an important voice (though I less wealthy one)

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Cid

Wii is winning next-gen shock! but we all knew that anyway. I guess most folks in the market for a next-gen console don't really care about how many transistors it has?
                          Note, thats through end of 3rd quarter, so its only a few days of Halo3.

Comment

• Got myself the Simpsons game today. Awful camera system, really hopeless, but a REAL fun and entertaining game nonetheless. Absolutely well worth the money. I have the Wii version (of course). I did read, I think on IGN, that the game actually looks better on the Wii than on the 360 and PS3, since the HD make the picture too blown up and noisy. Sounds weird the producers didn't think of using the better resolution...
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              you're hardly unbiased here.
                              Accurate nonetheless.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

Cmon doc, if hed only made SimCity and nothing else he'd be an important voice (though I less wealthy one)
                                Frankly (though I hate to be Asheresque) I am not at all surprised Will Wright is a Wii fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X