Portal is the game of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    Doesn't mean that PC games don't make their own category, though. Just like PS or Xbox games do. So "best rated PC games"
    You said "best rated games". Liar.

It's the best-reviewed game ever, I believe

I'm not talking about "best games of all time" lists, I am talking about the average review score. According to Metacritic, HL2 held the top spot for a while along with the original HL, now it's been joined by Bioshock.

Neither had that caveat (which doesn't really make sense anyway).

Comment

Well boo hoo. Make that "best-reviewed PC game" and "top PC spot". It's still a valid argument

Though it's a fair point that I would sometimes do well to remember that there are other games and not automatically ignore them.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

How can there be a best when games are subjective?

I've never taken rankings seriously, its more of an indication of design measure and/or number of games sold.

The first one being the important one, the 2nd one being the misleading one, as the general population are not interested in design and are clueless about the technical details behind the design (a good indication why consoles sell so well).
        be free

Comment

What the ****?

You just sort of own goaled yourself with your swipe at consoles there. I'm also confused about why you have "technical details behind the design" in that statement -- what does that have to do with quality of games or game reviews?

Sounds to me like you'd make a great PC game reviewer -- completely oblivious to what makes games, well, fun.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Can we get back to Portal, please?

Yep, the game was a bit on the short side, (SPOILERS AHEAD) I just got into the full portal swing when I opened that door and heard "All right, you found me". (/SPOILERS)

But I still loved it immensely. I doubt it'll be named the game of the year, Bioshock will probably be, but it's novel and it's fun. And it's not trying to scare me like a lot of modern shooters do.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              What the ****?

You just sort of own goaled yourself with your swipe at consoles there. I'm also confused about why you have "technical details behind the design" in that statement -- what does that have to do with quality of games or game reviews?

Sounds to me like you'd make a great PC game reviewer -- completely oblivious to what makes games, well, fun.
              I'd be own goaling myself if I tried to make any statements about the quality of console games. But I don't say anything about Halo, Final Fantasy, Gears of War and whatever else there is on consoles.

BTW, I - unlike some reviewers - know how to limit myself to only reviewing games or genres I know something about. That being why I don't review Xbox games or, say, PC racing games.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                I'd be own goaling myself if I tried to make any statements about the quality of console games.
                And in saying that, you own goal yoursefl...

I don't really count console games as games

Comment

That's right. I don't count them as games, so when I speak about games, I'm not talking about console games. I'm not saying they're all bad or good. I just don't count them.

Comment

Hmm, you need a bigger shovel Solver.

Comment

Everyone always gangs up on me

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        What the ****?

Let me put it in words you can understand Asher.

It took much experience/skill for Leonardo Da Vinci to paint the Mona Lisa. This painting will go on top as one of the greatest paintings of all time. However, that doesn't mean everyone likes it. Likewise, Half Life took much experience/skill; Like Mona Lisa, Half Life has an artistic touch, which most games..like.. Halo..lack a lot of; and i'm not being biased, I also think Crysis lacks artistic touch. It is this artistic touch, that damn well pushes Half Life to the top 10 list, (notice I am not using the number 2).

But this top 10 list, is not a list of most liked games or most bought games, this is a list of games that required a lot of skill and intelligence to develop.

So, Halo for example, would be equivalent to some 1800's scenery painting. It was very well done, known around the world, took a lot of skill and time, but at the end of the day it had no artistic touch, it was just some painting of a scenery - the painter simply copying what he saw.

But having said all this, the conclusion is that some people are going to hate the Mona Lisa and love the 1800's scenery painting, so naturally, they will put the scenery painting in their top 10 list, and this is why we get all these problems with rankings, they are usually a mix of personal favourites or based on number of sales, and of course artistic skill.

From a professional stance, if I were to create a top 10 list of games, I would not go by people's personal favourites or by number of sales, but by skill/intelligence used to develop the game. Why? Because THAT is THE challenge of a human being.

Again, not being biased; I don't really enjoy the C&C games, but I have a good feeling C&C should be near the top too.

btw, "artistic skill" does not mean "graphics"; programmers can be artistic too.
                        Last edited by FrostyBoy; October 14, 2007, 21:02.
                        be free

Comment

Unbelievable. Easily the most pretentious post I've read on here a while -- you can compete with Agathon any day of the weak as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately, anyone who compares video games to the Mona Lisa dismisses their own argument far better than any rebuttal could ever accomplish.

As a side note, you are not a professional games developer. You are a hobby-game developer, just like MANY other people (including myself). Further, you make pictures for games, you don't design or program games. Unless you can link to your MobyGames profile with a list of credits, your nonsense of speaking as a "professional" is ridiculously false. You think too highly of yourself in many, many ways.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'm not comparing Mona Lisa to games, I'm giving you a different view of the same spectrum.

And what does my post have to do with what I do?
                            be free

Comment

From a professional stance, if I

When you base the post upon being a "professional", the fact that you are not a professional has a lot to do with it.

Comment

Sorry, you misunderstood me, I typed it wrong; what I meant was, "If someone were to make a professional decision..". I wasn't specifically talking about myself.
                                be free

Comment

Working...
                                X