whats the current status of Master of Magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the current status of Master of Magic

Has it officially been released as a free DL?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

IIRC you can get it at the place beneath where the canines live.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
      IIRC you can get it at the place beneath where the canines live.
      actually Ive DLed the Demo for Age of Wonders 2.

Would I miss much by skipping MoM, and other earlier Fantasy TBS'?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

From a historical viewpoint, yes, but from a gaming viewpoint, no. Take your pick.

Comment

A different opinion: AoW feels more like a tactical-level game: trying to control a region of a hex-based map instead of a square-tiled world, fighting with armies consisting of a handful of units, casting spells which have a local effect. MoM is more like Civ + magic.

AoW is much better balanced, but oriented more toward small-scale scenarios. MoM is laughably unbalanced, but was, for me, a deeper and more fun game to play. YMMV.

Comment

I know what you mean - but if you want to play Civ with magic there are a couple of really good mods for Civ4 that do just that.

Comment

From a historical viewpoint, yes, but from a gaming viewpoint, no. Take your pick.
              having devoted so much of my life to Civ2, and having been frustrated trying to get Colonization to run (on Win 98!) Im not sure the insights into TBS history are worth the time and aggravation.

Comment

I recomend shadow magic over straight AoW2

It's got a similiar feel to Master of Magic. You wouldn't be missing a whole lot, but it wouldn't hurt to play MoM too. You'll enjoy it even if you pick it up after AoW2
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

'tis true, Shadow Magic was the best game.

Comment

LotM:

IMHO, MoM is the begin of Civ, Orion, Age of Wonders series.

Now days, MoM and Colonization, as almost all DOS games, can be
                    easily played with help of Dosbox.

Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by fed1943
                      LotM:

IMHO, MoM is the begin of Civ, Orion, Age of Wonders series.

Master of Magic was a result of Master of Orion and Civilization (first versions). It was suppose to be sort of a combination of the two in a fantasy setting.

It was the inspiration to Age of Wonders though.

Also, it is the only one that didn't get a true sequal (Age of Wonders was close though).

JM
                      (I got a hold of Civ, then MoM, then MOO2/Civ2... I only played MOO later to try it out..)
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I finished the brief tutorial ( of Age of Wonders2)in the demo.

Not really enough for a good sense of the game, I think (but its probably so cheap now thats ok)

It seemed kind of a cluttered map to me.

Comment

Latest Check on http://www.masterofmagic2.com/ reveals the legal status to be quite difficult. Obvious rights remain at Atari.

Also MoM 2 is once again on Hold.
                          Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

'tis true, Shadow Magic was the best game.

Comment

AoW:SM was Fun in Lan-Games, as you could bring a cheap Unit into a Three-side Battle (As the Storm on an Opponents last Wizard Tower) and cast your Most Powerful Spells to Aid your Partner.
                              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Working...
                              X