Half Life - My reactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Life - My reactions

Bear in mind, this was the first FPS ive played, and so I dont know precisely how it compares to the rest of the genre. So my reactions mix reactions to HL, and to the genre in general.

1. I can see the appeal. Of shooting things, running, immersion, etc. Its definitely different from other games ive played, and captures far more than the arcade shooters (mechanical and electronic) of old.

2. The ingame plot stuff is reminiscent of Starcraft. Frankly Im not sure what the big deal of having it all ingame is - the few games with cutscenes ive played it didnt bother me - but then I guess if youre playing this game fast (As i did not) the cutscenes could be more destructive of immersion.

3. The plot stuff wasnt THAT overwhelming, compared to RPGs or even a RTS like Starcraft, or a TBS like SMAC. But I suppose it was good for the genre, and theres certainly an element of immersion that you dont find in an RTS or TBS or third party RPG.

4. The game did a lot to create atmosphere. Im thinking particularly of the tramride at the beginning (I suspect folks whove played the game several times and go back and look at the tram ride see all kinds of clever things) the bureucratic/scientific atmosphere before the cascade, etc. Now an underground govt scientific complex is NOT necessarily where Id LIKE to be immersed, but it worked very well for the plot.

Xen I thought didnt work as well. The floating planetoids seemed silly, and the caves seemed a lot like standard RPG dungeons.

5. I really didnt like the jumping puzzles, but I guess many FPS games arent as heavy on them.

6. I did like some of the tactical puzzles, especially the ones that involved the soldiers. I guess those had smarter AI, whereas the monsters relied more on "uber" powers of various types, or lots of hit points.

7. It would have been interesting to be able to explore more. Ive read enough to have heard that HL is a more "on rails" type of FPS then some, but I think I might have figured that out on own. I might likes something less linear, esp for an immersive world.

8. I can see why thi kind of game is more graphics demanding. While this was good for its time, IIUC, on numerous occasions I was close enough to a wall, etc, that it took on an unrealistic (pixellated?) appearance that could break immersion. Harder to cover that sort of thing up than in a 3rd person game.

9. My general sense is that while I can see the draw of this genre, its not for me. I probably WILL play another FPS at some point - but I suspect it will take a setting I really like, or another game I "need" to know to understand the forward march of the genre. Im inclined to a historical-war type FPS, of which I understand there are many WW2 shooters. However you need not suggest any now, as I thats not next on my list.
    Last edited by lord of the mark; September 16, 2007, 20:03.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

All fair perceptions I would say. I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if you wont repeat the experience any time soon.

But (hehe) the genre has moved on a bit since HL. You seem to like the tactical element, and a whole subgenre of games has emerged over the last few years that fits the bill. Probably the best known are the Tom Clancy series (Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six). You might be able to play some of the earlier games, but I think the more recent games have progressed a lot so maybe when you upgrade you should check these out.

Comment

I am glad you liked it overall LotM. I played it when I was 17 and it blew me away.

Now, onto Opposing Forces and Blue Shift with you
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The vast majority of FPS are terrible games.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
          I am glad you liked it overall LotM. I played it when I was 17 and it blew me away.

Now, onto Opposing Forces and Blue Shift with you
          i actually have OF, the version of HL I got came with it.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Did you play through that yet?
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Half Life - My reactions

Fair comments indeed.

Originally posted by lord of the mark
              1. I can see the appeal. Of shooting things, running, immersion, etc. Its definitely different from other games ive played, and captures far more than the arcade shooters (mechanical and electronic) of old.
              Yeah, that's what FPS games are about Though they do indeed vary greatly now.

2. The ingame plot stuff is reminiscent of Starcraft. Frankly Im not sure what the big deal of having it all ingame is - the few games with cutscenes ive played it didnt bother me - but then I guess if youre playing this game fast (As i did not) the cutscenes could be more destructive of immersion.

It was an unusual developer decision to make it that way. They figured that having no cutscenes and never having the game interrupted would provide maximum character immersion. I've grown to really like the style.

3. The plot stuff wasnt THAT overwhelming, compared to RPGs or even a RTS like Starcraft, or a TBS like SMAC. But I suppose it was good for the genre, and theres certainly an element of immersion that you dont find in an RTS or TBS or third party RPG.

Starcraft is probably the most story-heavy RTS out there, and SMAC is definitely the most story-heavy TBS game. And RPGs should have more story than this - the value of any RPG with less story is doubtful. You can't really compare those across genres. Still, HL has more story than a whole lot of TBS/RTS games.

4. The game did a lot to create atmosphere. Im thinking particularly of the tramride at the beginning (I suspect folks whove played the game several times and go back and look at the tram ride see all kinds of clever things) the bureucratic/scientific atmosphere before the cascade, etc. Now an underground govt scientific complex is NOT necessarily where Id LIKE to be immersed, but it worked very well for the plot.

Yeah, this is something HL has always been praised for, and the train ride is truly one of the legendary moments in gaming. And the pre-incident part was so well received that many shooters adopted the idea of starting with a peaceful beginning.

Xen I thought didnt work as well. The floating planetoids seemed silly, and the caves seemed a lot like standard RPG dungeons.

Xen is very criticized, for gameplay and looks. Okay, the gameplay is weak in many parts. But I think Xen came a year or two too early - they tried to create a very unique and strange look, but succeeded only partially due to limitations of technology those days.

I think it's weird enough, but it looks ugly in many places. Still, there are many nice things you can notice. Did you notice the light plants that hide and go dark when you approach them? Or how you make melodic sounds when running on some surfaces? There's a bunch of these bits scattered around... truly alien.

5. I really didnt like the jumping puzzles, but I guess many FPS games arent as heavy on them.

HL is pretty heavy on jumping puzzles, yeah. There are fewer of those in modern FPS games, and even for its time, HL had many.

6. I did like some of the tactical puzzles, especially the ones that involved the soldiers. I guess those had smarter AI, whereas the monsters relied more on "uber" powers of various types, or lots of hit points.

Interestingly, the marine AI is still considered to be among the best FPS enemy AIs. It's solid, indeed. Good use of grenades, for example. It doesn't feel like a letdown even when replaying the game now, while games such as Deus Ex have a horrible AI by today's standards.

7. It would have been interesting to be able to explore more. Ive read enough to have heard that HL is a more "on rails" type of FPS then some, but I think I might have figured that out on own. I might likes something less linear, esp for an immersive world.

It's a tough line between immersion and pacing. If you let the player explore, you no longer have control over the game's pacing, so immersion is left more to the player itself. Both approaches can work, but they chose linearity. I don't think you could make it non-linear, though, without sacrificing some other stuff.

8. I can see why thi kind of game is more graphics demanding. While this was good for its time, IIUC, on numerous occasions I was close enough to a wall, etc, that it took on an unrealistic (pixellated?) appearance that could break immersion. Harder to cover that sort of thing up than in a 3rd person game.

Well, yeah. Close-ups of just about anything sucked for a long time. Many textures still aren't great due to memory limits.

9. My general sense is that while I can see the draw of this genre, its not for me. I probably WILL play another FPS at some point - but I suspect it will take a setting I really like, or another game I "need" to know to understand the forward march of the genre. Im inclined to a historical-war type FPS, of which I understand there are many WW2 shooters. However you need not suggest any now, as I thats not next on my list.
              Still, I very strongly recommend Deus Ex. It's a story-heavy shooter with quite a bunch of non-linear stuff and exploration. There are numerous good WW2 shooters, but they rarely offer a single-player experience that is quite so cohesive.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

i actually have OF, the version of HL I got came with it.
                Cool - it's nothing more than more of the same, but it's pretty solid, and you can blast through it pretty fast.

Comment

And Blue Shift converts your MP5 into a useful assault rifle

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                    The vast majority of FPS are terrible games.
                    Strange news of the day. I agree with Wiglaf.

I have quite a few of them, but most are basically the same.

GRAW 2 is pretty good. It's much more about tactics and set up than regular shooters, which are run in and use as much ammo as possible.

But they shine in online multiplayer. Although technically not a FPS, Warhawk is a blast online. GRAW online is OK, but it lacks the awesome cover system of the single player campaign, which makes it not so cool.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

If you'd like to try a FPS that is has more of a plot, plus RPG elements, I'd recommend either:

System Shock 2 (scariest game/movie/book I've ever experienced)
                      or Deus Ex (best game plot ever, but enemy AI is lacking)
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Re: Half Life - My reactions

Do you dwell as much on other games as you do about Half-Life?

Don't do Opposing Force, because it gets very tedious. Blue Shift OTOH is every bit as good as the orginal but you don't have that.

I don't think anyone is going argue with me that Call of Duty (excluding sequels) provides the greatest immersion of all WW2 shooters. As far as I'm concerned, it even beats Half-Life hands down in this aspect.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Re: Re: Half Life - My reactions

Originally posted by Colon™
                          Do you dwell as much on other games as you do about Half-Life?
                          A few. I did a retrospective after finishing Planescape, and after playing Colonization.

I was particularly interested in giving my reactions here though, as this was the first FPS I'd played.

Comment

Don't do Opposing Force
                            OP was okay if you just wanted to go crazy with an M60, and oddly enough sometimes that is exactly what I need.

The new aliens were good too, basically creatures with Marine AI. Always fun to run into yourself (Gordon) too. I liked the idea that the Xenite (or whatever) portholes attracted another race. I have a suspicion those are the same aliens form the sequel.

And you get to play in some of the settings from the opening train ride in the original

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Half Life - My reactions

A few.
                              Don't listen to him LotM - post as many discussions as you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X