Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Football Sim (that's "soccer" to you colonial types)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maquiladora
    That's a decent goal LS

Here's the ref denying me an obvious penalty earlier, and then not giving the goal due to 1mm of the ball not going over the line, despite it hitting the side netting...
    When you wear the Mackems' strip, expect bad things to happen.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora

I use an adapter and PS2 pad, I daren't even try the keyboard.

You should be able to start one with match mode (default) players, or pick your own squad too.

Who is that? Reminds me of the default master league GK, he is terrible.
      I hate everything that looks and feels like console

And no the match mode option is grayed out, I can only choose the noobs. Weird

The goals scored in that video were scored with the default master league team (can't choose another team ) against Toulouse or something. And btw Ivarov is still okay compared to Zamenhof (or many other crap keepers like the ones of Villareal... damn they piss me off; it's a nice team to play with otherwise though)
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Scored a nice goal earlier.

Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I saw billboards for FIFA 08 and PES 2008 at today's Premier League games
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

PES 08 looks good, not totally convinced on the idea of diving being included though.

FIFA will stink like the giant turd it is... again.
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

PES 08 has diving?
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Aye it does. Apparently it's really hard to pull off successfully, but it's in. Lots of competitive players complaining, the same players that rely on exploiting the "cutback" goal.

Comment

Yeah, I've got my eye on 08 too, especially as I haven't really played the other Xbox 360 version.

Comment

Nice.

At last I found out how to win every game. All you need to do is play cautiously, refrain yourself from hunting the ball and letting them advance when they are in posession of the ball. In the end they'll just throw a silly high lob into the box or make an impossible dash dribble. Okay every now and then they'll make a lucky goal but nothing to worry about.

Finally, the challenge is gone: time to find me something else to waste my time with
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Yeah, patience is the key. It's why younger players usually prefer FIFA, because they can't score or get the ball back in PES.

I usually only concede to the AI on corners now, when it only allows you to select your smallest SB to challenge in the air (e.g. Roberto Carlos v Adriano).

Finally, the challenge is gone: time to find me something else to waste my time with
                      How about the challenge of scoring an overhead/scissor kick outside the box?

I'm sure I'll keep playing right up until 08 is released, if only to score more beautiful goals.

Comment

What's the best site for PES patches to get up-to-date rosters and such?
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

For patching the option file (kits, badges etc) then http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/ Good up to date option files are by Milanista & Mike or Neoseeker IMO.

Also search for "kitserver" there, it's a really good tool for using new kits, balls, hair, faces, even stadiums, all without modifying any files.

Comment

Thanks, good site.

My big gripe here is the difference between difficulty levels. On Amateur, I can win almost every game by a margin of 2 or 3 goals, I even win against stronger teams. On Regular, the next level, I can never get even 40% possession and get beaten by 3-4 goals by weaker teams.

Comment

It sounds like you're giving up possession too quickly, and/or not able to get it back until they shoot.

The best way to keep possession under pressure is to receive the ball well, theres a tutorial on it in game. Like when about to receive a pass press the direction (sometimes using trap methods R1/R2) so your back always faces the closest opposition player when you receive the ball, so you can guard any immediate interception, then turn and move onto another pass or a shot.

Width in your formation makes it easier to keep possession too. Make sure your wider players do run wide (and possibly forward) using attacking arrows when you're in possession, you'll have a lot more time and space to pass and run into because the other team will be stretched across the pitch marking you. Passing long and high (Circle+R2) across the pitch between your sidebacks will stretch and open up the play even more.

Getting the ball back is tougher, as Traianvs says it's all about patience. Keep retreating and delaying them until your defence is back, then start to press them gently into mistakes.

Another easy way to get it back is run along side them (without pressing X or Square) and when it front just run the ball off them or force them out of play if on the wing.

Finally try not to use pressing (especially X+Square) too much, it just makes it harder as you're always chasing their next pass, and you'll move your own defence out of position.

Comment

Yeah, my problem is definitely the inability to get the ball back, I'm like that in all similar games. I just don't react fast enough to intercept their passes, so my problem is, mainly, when the AI players start passing the ball around quickly.

I guess I should also learn at least a couple of trick moves for attacking.

Comment

Working...
                                X