No announcement yet.

What MMORPG Should I Start Out With?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WoW has been out since 2003 right? Thats a long time, surely someone must be working on the next best thing.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

LoTRO supposedly dealt the deathblow to WoW

Warhammer Online is next in line to do so

Then Age of Conan will finish it off

A lot of people don't consider that WoW is actually a lot of peoples' first video game. WoW will be the MMO for a very long time.

btw: http://mmorpg.com/

more specifically a games list, organized by rating, if you scroll down you will find the ones still in production.
      The best list of MMORPG and RPG Games. Updated daily to include the lastest Free MMOs, RPGs and more for MMORPG fans.

Comment

WoW will be the top MMO for several years yet.

Comment

I have in fact the same question as Patroklos, except that I have already played my first mmorpg, namely GuildWars.

I chose it
          for it's simplicity - Hey, for my first mmorpg, I didn't want spending my 15 days trial just figuring out how to draw my weapon/cast my spell before the monster kills me;
          for its free monthly license - I paid 35 euros and that's it. I can play it for life;
          for its possibility of solo play - you can form your AI group with heroes and mercanaries.

But

From what I read from other mmorpgs, it seems however too simple. There's no race, no professions, only classes.
          And now, after something like 3 months, I'm done. I didn't finish the main plot, but I'm having no fun anymore.

Problem is, according to the Bartle test , I seem to be an EASK, 100% explorer.

Based on your answers, you are EASK.
          Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 100.00%, Killer 20.00%, Socializer 26.67%

EASK players often live by the phrase 'The journey is often more enjoyable than the destination.' They are motivated by meeting the challenges of the world, but they are usually in no rush--because seeing the creatures and places of the world is even more fun.

Any hint on a MMORPG for an lonely explorer?
          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I'm EASK as well. I wouldn't recommend Eve for you. Once you reach a certain point, there isn't a great deal you can do without having the help of other players. Solo doesn't work that well in Eve.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Neat but some of the questions are dated, and others really don't have an answer that applies to me, it still pretty much nailed my play type

Based on your answers, you are ASEK.
              Breakdown: Achiever 60.00%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 40.00%, Socializer 53.33%

ASEK players like to pit themselves against the grand-challenges of a virtual world. They see grouping and guilds/clans not only as an enjoyable aspect of the social environment, but also as a way to achieve goals that cannot be achieved as an individual.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                I'm EASK as well. I wouldn't recommend Eve for you. Once you reach a certain point, there isn't a great deal you can do without having the help of other players. Solo doesn't work that well in Eve.
                Industrialist/Trader can do fine solo.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I did both tests and got the results I would have expected

Based on your answers, you are ESAK.
                  Breakdown: Achiever 60.00%, Explorer 93.33%, Killer 6.67%, Socializer 66.67%
                  ESAK players often see the game world as a great stage, full of things to see and people to meet. They love teaming up with people to get to the hard-to-see places, and they relish unique experiences.
                  Based on your answers, you are Supporter-Strategist.
                  This combination is also referred to as the Quarterback playstyle.
                  You enjoy figuring out the best means of winning in a situation, and you're ready to take on the harder or more obscure jobs to make sure that your plan comes together. You might not be out in front all the time, but you enjoy the recognition that comes with being the bedrock of a team. You'll often be the one calling the tactical shots in the middle of an encounter.
                  Not sure what that means about my game choices however, though I am obviously not a candidate for PvP anything, but I didn't need to take a test to find out I am a carebear!

/me
                  "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Based on your answers, you are EAKS.
                    Breakdown: Achiever 60.00%, Explorer 66.67%, Killer 40.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EAKS players often live by the phrase 'The journey is often more enjoyable than the destination.' They are motivated by meeting the challenges of the world, but they are usually in no rush--because seeing the creatures and places of the world is even more fun.

Comment

haha, did the bartle test. Too many questions I'd like to select both answers. Not very flexible.

here are my results.

Breakdown: Achiever 73.33%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 26.67%, Socializer 13.33%

EAKS players often live by the phrase 'The journey is often more enjoyable than the destination.' They are motivated by meeting the challenges of the world, but they are usually in no rush--because seeing the creatures and places of the world is even more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry
                        I have in fact the same question as Patroklos, except that I have already played my first mmorpg, namely GuildWars.
                        GW is not an MMORPG. I, however, have played it more and prefer it compared to any full MMORPG.

Comment

Working...
                        X