No announcement yet.

SimCity... the end is near

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC3 and SC4 both allowed you, the mayor, to control everything about a city, the funding of every building, etc. alien disasters were also in both games.

simcity is not about realism, sorry.
    wikipedia MAYOR sometime, see what they really do.

and sc4 sucked, but whatever. hardly the defining game in the franchise. SC1 and 2000 were more than anything.

Comment

I think the majority of SC players prefer the game to lean towards realism than to some themepark. That's all i'm saying.
      be free

Comment

Whether or not the economics are realistic, there's definitely a preference for the graphics to look realistic. Or, when they need to be abstracted, in a style that looks more like a diagram, versus intentional cartoonish exaggeration.
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

And still, SC2k and SC3k is the SC games I have had enormous fun with. SC1 was too early for me. SC4 was crap.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
            SC3 and SC4 both allowed you, the mayor, to control everything about a city, the funding of every building, etc.

simcity is not about realism, sorry.
            So what if you get to control a few things more than what a mayor normally takes care of? There are no realistic games in the world. How realistic is it when some random guy gets trapped in enemy territory by accident, he then starts playing Rambo and ends up killing all the bad guys and save the world? But the game might still be realistic in how the physics works and how the game looks

Just because the game isn't that realistic, doesn't mean that it's not allowed to look realistic

Also just because simCitys gameplay at it's current state is not that realistic, that doesn't mean that sequels are not allowed to be realistic either. A lot of fans have mentioned that they want SimCity to be more realistic than it is now

Originally posted by Wiglaf
            alien disasters were also in both games.
            And...?
            Ever heard about the gameplay versus realism debate? Adding alien attacks (that you control) makes the game more fun (at least for the destructive players), but it doesn't make the game worse for those who wants a realistic game, as it's up to the players themselves to decide if they want to use it
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

IIRC the mayor in sim city2000 did NOT run every building. IE he did not run the private industry buildings that existed in commercial and industrial zones.

He ran the budgets for the GOVT buildings, the schools and firehouses and so forth. Of course thats unrealistic in the same way that allowing the general commanding all US and SKOR forces in the Korean war scenario of TOAW to determine the movement and actions of each brigade is. Gamers like that level of micro, unfortunately. Just think of yourself as RPing not the mayor, but the mayor and his direct reports, or whatever.

In SC2000 the mayor also runs the hospitals and power plants which is unrealistic in the USA, but not necessarily in many other parts of the developed world (again treating "mayor" as an abstraction for several govt officials)
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Monte Cristo is now working on City Life 2, and this time they're listening to fans wishes... at least according to the above mentioned blog:

Earlier this year we asked City Life owners to tell us what were their feeling about City Life and what could be improved. In case they stop by my blog, I would like to take the opportunity to thank the 30 000 players who contributed: We heard the message loud and clear.

Based on these contributions, I must say I’m not that surprised with the Simcity 4 community reaction to the announcement of Simcity Societies. As I do, city builder fans place simulation depth and realistic environments as key for their enjoyment… as well as content (buildings, landmarks, etc…).

Based on thisBased on these contributions, I must say I’m not that surprised with the Simcity 4 community reaction to the announcement of Simcity Societies. As I do, city builder fans place simulation depth and realistic environments as key for their enjoyment… as well as content (buildings, landmarks, etc…).

He doesn't directly say what the fans wrote, but based on the fact that he mentions SimCity community reaction just after and mentions "simulation depth and realistic environments" just after, this sounds like it could be more like what fans want
                I doubt City Life 2 will be able to take the place of SimCity though, Monte Cristo is not famous for making great games, but I will keep an eye on it

In his blog there's also a screenshot with the caption underneath:

"The next City Builder from Monte Cristo?"

It does look a bit more realistic than SimCity Societies and City Life, so maybe there's hope... but let's wait till we hear more about the game and see more screenshots

Comment

Just like CIV, they are going to sacrifice this game on the alter of 3D graphics. And catoonish ones at that.

What is wrong with a highly detailed 2D game damn it!!!
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

If it comes out as good as CIV I'll be happy

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                      Why is the traffic light floating?

I hate this game already and I have only seen the screenshots.

Gameplay AND graphics are both valuable to the final product making a success. I imagine it takes as much time for a good graphic designer as it does for a good programmer to complete the same quality of work. So there should be no excuse for having crappy graphics. The above is so bad, it looks like 1995 rendered cut-scene movies.

One of the things that made Simcity great, was its realistic factor. This has gone in the opposite direction. I won't buy it; it must be boycotted to save Simcity 6.
                      Regarding the above bolded text, if you really believd that, you would not be judging the graphics before they were finished, just as you do not judge the code before it is finished. Realistically, you don't even know how long ago the screens you have seen are from. And even if they were taken from ingame only moments before posting, by your own statement they are far from complete.

So, why the harsh judgement?

edit:
                      EA Press Release (just noticed it)
                      Last edited by John-SJ; June 12, 2007, 15:08.

Comment

Originally posted by John-SJ
                        Regarding the above bolded text, if you really believd that, you would not be judging the graphics before they were finished, just as you do not judge the code before it is finished. Realistically, you don't even know how long ago the screens you have seen are from. And even if they were taken from ingame only moments before posting, by your own statement they are far from complete.

So, why the harsh judgement?
                        If that screenshot is less than a month old, I doubt they'll have enough time to make the graphics that much better, as there's only 4-5 months until release

Comment

IMO if they're confident enough to release the screenshot, then they're confident that's what it's going to look like come release. Maybe it'll be more detailed in the release version, but the actual style will stay the same, sadly.
                          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                            Just like CIV, they are going to sacrifice this game on the alter of 3D graphics. And catoonish ones at that.

What is wrong with a highly detailed 2D game damn it!!!
                            QFT
                            The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                              Just like CIV, they are going to sacrifice this game on the alter of 3D graphics.
                              Yeah, Civ4's graphics really ruin it.

Comment

Absolutely. The game is massively fun, but the graphics ruin it for me.

Not.
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X