No announcement yet.

Recommend me an historical strat game, released from 2000 or so to 2005 or so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me an historical strat game, released from 2000 or so to 2005 or so

Thinking of the following

Assume I dont have the computer power for Civ4 or MTW2

Possibilities include

Rise of Nations - I think the gold ed is $40,

Total War Eras - Shogun, MTW, and RTW with xpacks for $40

Civ 3 (meh)

Combat Mission

TOAW

Crusader Kings

Victoria Revolutions (ive already got Vickie)

HOI2

Age of Sail

Im not thinking AOE3, as Ive got enough of that series for now. Ditto EU3.

Thoughts on the above? Others to look for?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Shogun was awesome

RoN was fun, too.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Have you given up on EU2 LotM?

I know that is my favourite (though I haven't played most of your list) and I thought you liked it too.

Are you looking for something more than that?

/me
      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Shogun was awesome
        QFT

It was nice and simple. The other Total War games seem bloated in comparison.
        Last edited by Nostromo; May 26, 2007, 20:44.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I bet Lord of Mark has a huge game collection. I wouldn't be surprised if he had 150 games or so.
          Last edited by Nostromo; May 26, 2007, 20:47.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I have a ton of games as well... I have never even played many of them (and I bought most of them new).

RoN and Total War series both have good points. If you are tired of AoE, RoN might not be for you though.

Combat Mission is good, and a completely different type of game.

TOAW I think is good. (if I remember what it is correctly)

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
              Have you given up on EU2 LotM?

I know that is my favourite (though I haven't played most of your list) and I thought you liked it too.

Are you looking for something more than that?

* Sparrowhawk
              Ive played it a fair amount, though far less than some. Its hard to be motivated to really keep exploring all its subtleties with EU3 out for awhile now.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                I bet Lord of Mark has a huge game collection. I wouldn't be surprised if he had 150 games or so.
                nah, probably more like 35 to 45 or so. Im not sure even that many.

although sometimes its hard to know what to count. Forex, Firaxis released Sid Meiers Gettysburg, and only slightly modified, Sid Meiers Antietam. The combo (which i DO own) also includes a set of scenarios for South Mountain, same rules as Antietam. I think they call it an additional game, but is it really?

And ive got Paradoxs Two Thrones and Crown of the North, but only cause they came in the strat 6 pack. Ive got 6 sim games from the first simmania pack, but Ive never gotten simisle to run. And one of those games is Simcity Classic, which ive never bothered with as id already played Simcity 2000.
                Last edited by lord of the mark; May 26, 2007, 23:05.

Comment

RoN is way, way cheaper than $40. i think i saw a copy of it plus the lame expansion pack for like $15 in a store somewhere far from the city.

Comment

Re: Recommend me an historical strat game, released from 2000 or so to 2005 or so

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                    Thinking of the following

Assume I dont have the computer power for Civ4 or MTW2

Possibilities include DrSpike's comments in bold

Rise of Nations - I think the gold ed is $40 don't bother, there are better RTS games you can play

Total War Eras - Shogun, MTW, and RTW with xpacks for $40 Good choice, though you might want to see if you can pick up a single game + x pack cheaply. There's so much play in these games.

Civ 3 (meh) wait till you can play Civ4

Combat Mission I really liked this and think you will too. If you can get hold of it now it will probably be cheap, and there was a follow up game that was excellent too

TOAW can't offer an opinion

Crusader Kings I think you should get EU3 instead

Victoria Revolutions (ive already got Vickie) maybe if you really like the first game

HOI2 Maybe if you really like the first game

Age of Sail lol

Im not thinking AOE3, as Ive got enough of that series for now. Ditto EU3. oops didn't see this

Thoughts on the above? Others to look for?

Comment

How about the Patrician series - I think it's up to 3 now?

Heard a lot of good about the concept - not sure how good the implementation is though?

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Revolution makes Vicky a much better game.

CK has some serious flaws, but it still a game which has given me great fun over countless hours. If you get it, make sure to install patch 1.05 before playing.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Possibilities include DrSpike's comments in bold

Rise of Nations - I think the gold ed is $40 don't bother, there are better RTS games you can play

I dunno, i like to follow what BR is doing, and Ive heard here and elsewhere some very good things about RON.

Total War Eras - Shogun, MTW, and RTW with xpacks for $40 Good choice, though you might want to see if you can pick up a single game + x pack cheaply. There's so much play in these games.

Yeah, but ive got at least some interest in each era. And getting them altogether nicely elides the question of whether to get the latest or not.

Civ 3 (meh) wait till you can play Civ4

Combat Mission I really liked this and think you will too. If you can get hold of it now it will probably be cheap, and there was a follow up game that was excellent too

There have been a few, I think. You played the first one only, I take it?

TOAW can't offer an opinion

Crusader Kings I think you should get EU3 instead

CK sounds fascinating, and more of a change of pace from the other Paradox games.

Victoria Revolutions (ive already got Vickie) maybe if you really like the first game

I really did like Vickie, and I get the impression that VR would solve many of the things that hold Vickie back.

HOI2 Maybe if you really like the first game

I wasnt as wild about it as EU2 and Vickie, but I never go the CORE mod in part cause it didnt feel worthwhile pursuing improvements when HOI2 is out for a while, and supposedly much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                            How about the Patrician series - I think it's up to 3 now?

Heard a lot of good about the concept - not sure how good the implementation is though?

Asmodean
                            yeah, id consider that too.

Comment

I just got RoN for £4 and have started playing it. I'm not really into click-fest RTS, but this one I can play on pause, and resources don't run out and need constant management.

Apart from the tutorial I've just been playing 'no-military' games to get the hang of the economy.

First impression are that I'm not sure whether I'll be investing the time to get any good at it. I kicked the habit of staying up till dawn playing games last year and I don't know whether I want to get sucked back in. If I wasn't so slow I could finish the game quicker I suppose but I'm a ponderous player at the best of times (that's why I prefer TBS) and I'm learning.

Comment

Working...
                              X