No announcement yet.

Wii Friend Code Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make this thread interesting -- DEFEND Wii codes.
    Enh, I can't really defend them until we know what they're actually doing. I know the first MP game, Pokemon Battle Coliseum, has the DS-like individual codes, but that's because it's DS linked. That said, some people have said they're doing it for all games, others have said they aren't. I think 3rd-party developers will probably actually be the ones to lead the way in getting them away from Friend Codes, so I'm in a sort of wait-and-see mode.
    I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
      Enh, I can't really defend them until we know what they're actually doing. I know the first MP game, Pokemon Battle Coliseum, has the DS-like individual codes, but that's because it's DS linked. That said, some people have said they're doing it for all games, others have said they aren't.
      Mario soccer game is also using the individual codes.

So, defend them. You know exactly what they're doing. Don't cop out.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Defense:

1. You don't need them to play random opponents.

2. Wii is more of a family console than the others, I don't want to play X game against my little sister's pokemon friends, etc, don't want them clogging up my friend lists.

3. Yes, they are more obnoxious to input than a code name, but whatever, Inputting each friend once per game doesn't seem like an ordeal to me, and wouldn't stop me from playing an online game that was enjoyable.

Comment

None of those are defenses...they're excuses, which means you recognize it's crap but want to mitigate just how crap it is.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

No, I just think that its not as big a deal as you would like to think it is.

Comment

I hate to agree with Asher but it is quite obviously a hopelessly retarded way of implementing MP.

I think those that want to argue with him should stick to where he is weak, like in several strands of the debate in the console wars thread.

Comment

Well, at least its free to use, even if a bit cumbersome.

Comment

Oh yeah? How are you using it right now?

You get what you pay for, pumpkin.

Comment

Any chance the Wii bashing can be limited to a single thread?

(Other than providing LS with the information that he needs, which unfortunately requires a bit of bashing given the idiotic idea of friend codes. Maybe the Japanese like the number codes? That's honestly the only explanation I can imagine for them.)

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      Oh yeah? How are you using it right now?

You get what you pay for, pumpkin.
                      well, it will be free once games utilize it, which are only a few weeks away.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                        well, it will be free once games utilize it, which are only a few weeks away.
                        One of the reasons XBL isn't free is because of all the work MS does to make it trivial for developers to make online games.

On the Wii it's a huge headache. Small wonder it's free and no games use it.

Comment

On the Wii it's a huge headache.
                          And on what are you basing this statement?
                          I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
                            And on what are you basing this statement?
                            Developer commentary about the atrociousness of the Wii SDK (most of it is copy-pasted wholesale from the GC, when there are important changes available).

The fact that developers have complained about the lack of a consistent API for online access, too.

Why do you think no titles are online for the Wii? If it was easy, why wouldn't it be done more frequently? It's kind of a big deal.

Comment

Asher is right that the Wii currently has no worthwhile online play.

Comment

eh, its slowly being rolled out.

Apparently Strikers is fairly enjoyable across the pond.

Comment

Working...
                                X