Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel free to cite it, but I'm also not sure Norway is indicative of sales in the New World, where things matter.

For instance, in July the Wii had 2 sales in the top 10 in the US: Wii Play and Mario Party.

Wii Play doesn't count, of course...it's a discounted Wiimote.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• The list for consoles week 37: http://www.vg.no/spill/topp20konsoll.hbs

As you see, right now the PS2 is in lead, with 12 titles. Wii has 7. 360 has 10. Unfortunately this list don't list how much sold to each console, only the total sales count. But you still can see that it is pretty even. And as said, who is "biggest" vary.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
        The list for consoles week 37: http://www.vg.no/spill/topp20konsoll.hbs

As you see, right now the PS2 is in lead, with 12 titles. Wii has 7. 360 has 10. Unfortunately this list don't list how much sold to each console, only the total sales count. But you still can see that it is pretty even. And as said, who is "biggest" vary.
        You just proved my point.

#1 game: Xbox 360
        #2 game: PS2
        #3 game: Xbox 360
        #4 game: Xbox 360
        #5 game: PS2

There's not even a single Wii game in the top 10 in Norway.

I think that proves my point...Xbox 360 software sales are spanking Wii's.

PS2 sales are on a marked decline, so I'm not interested in them. They're a relic of huge install bases of old hardware, and have nothing to do with this discussion. The #1 next-gen console where it counts, software and games, is far and away the 360.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
          I don't agree at all. Which Mario fan does not have a Wii already?
          Me - there just aren't enough good games at the moment to justify a purchase when I still have plenty of Xbox 360 games to play.

But SM3, SSBB and Galaxy will probably tip the balance if they are all good (with Zelda and RE4 Wii edition also worth picking up).

Comment

• That was one week. As I said, who has the top selling games vary. And four games in top 10 that week, not that bad.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
              That was one week. As I said, who has the top selling games vary. And four games in top 10 that week, not that bad.
              Then where are the previous weeks if this is the case?

Comment

• VG only keeps the last week online it seems. Keep in mind, this is primarily a paper article.

Comment

• BTW, what would be interesting, is a long term list for the different regions. I guess you easily could get one for the american market Asher?

Here's one for Australia, it came up on top for some reason when I searched:

Top-selling games in Australia H1 2007
                  1. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, PC
                  2. Final Fantasy XII, PS2
                  3. Pokémon Diamond, Nintendo DS
                  4. God of War II, PS2
                  5. World of Warcraft, PC
                  6. Resistance: Fall of Man, PS3
                  7. MotorStorm, PS3
                  8. Nintendogs: Dalmatian and Friends, Nintendo DS
                  9. Cricket 07, PS2
                  10. The Sims 2: Seasons, PC
                  11. Guitar Hero 2 bundle, PS2
                  12. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Nintendo Wii
                  13. Dr Kawashima's Brain Training, Nintendo DS
                  14. Gears of War, Xbox 360
                  15. Pokémon Pearl, Nintendo DS
                  16. SingStar Rocks! bundle, PS2
                  17. The Sims 2: Pets, PC
                  18. Nintendogs: Labrador and Friends, Nintendo DS
                  19. New Super Mario Bros., Nintendo DS
                  20. Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends, Nintendo DS

The interesting part is, that both Wii and 360 have one entry, while DS and PS2 has the largest part of sales.

Comment

• Suspicious, indeed. Did the PS3 outsell the Wii and Xbox 360 combined? Those results look fishy or easily manipulated by a tiny market.

Comment

• Do you have a similar overview for the US? I've tried to find something for Europe, but nothing so far. Might just be me who looks in the wrong places(and with wrong search words?). I did manage to find a site with the VG list for a longer period, but of course with my luck that site had to be pay-to-view.

Comment

• NPD does monthly charts.

Here's the latest (July). It's not very interesting, with no big games released except NCAA Football and the PS2 guitar hero expansion:

1. NCAA Football 08 - 360 - Electronic Arts - 397,000
                        2. Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s - PS2 - Activision - 339,000
                        3. Wii Play - Wii - Nintendo - 278,000
                        4. NCAA Football 08 - PS2 - Electronic Arts - 236,000
                        5. Mario Party 8 - Wii - Nintendo - 177,000
                        6. NCAA Football 08 - PS3 - Electronic Arts - 156,000
                        7. Pokemon Diamond - DS - Nintendo - 144,000
                        8. Transformers - PS2 - Activision - 143,000
                        9. Guitar Hero 2 - PS2 - Activision - 138,000
                        10. Guitar Hero 2 - 360 - Activision - 108,000

The August results should be out soon. I think it's the third thursday of the month they come out.

Comment

Hype and low pricepoint. It's certainly not selling by virtue of the game library. There are only 3 games above 90% for Wii on gamerankings, and two of those are GameCube games. The Xbox 360 has 7 games above 90%.
                          I would hope that xbox would have 2x the number of 90% games, it has, afterall been out twice the time that wii has. And much like you say 2 of the wii games are cube games, only 2 of the 360 games are exclusives, and one of those is going to lose that distinction come november.

For instance, in July the Wii had 2 sales in the top 10 in the US: Wii Play and Mario Party.

Wii Play doesn't count, of course...it's a discounted Wiimote.
                          How many non=peripheral games did the 360 have in the July top 10?

How many 360 titles were in June's NPD vs Wii? Peripheral games included.

Too bad you were gone for the past 2 npd releases where the Wii sold comparable to 360 software. June in particular, where Mario Party 8 trounced Forza 2, the closest 360 game.

Wonder what the software sales would be like if Wii Sports wasn't a pack in and the wii was say 220. Unfortunately the existence of a pack in means that new purchasers aren't required to buy a game with the system in order to actually use it. If it was a separate purchase, the npd would be more similar to media create with 2 perpetual wii titles in the top 10.

Comment

The August results should be out soon. I think it's the third thursday of the month they come out.
                            out now boss:

Hardware Unit Sales
                            PlayStation 2 202K
                            PlayStation 3 130.6K
                            PlayStation Portable 151.2 K
                            Xbox 360 276.7K
                            Wii 403.6 K
                            Nintendo DS 383.3K
                            GBA 69.5K

Top 20 SKU's
                            360 MADDEN NFL 08 896.6K
                            PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 643.6K
                            360 BIOSHOCK 490.9K
                            PS3 MADDEN NFL 08 336.2K
                            WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 256.8K
                            WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION 218.1K
                            WII MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED 147.4K
                            PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR 145.4K
                            WII MARIO PARTY 8 138.3K
                            PS2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S 127.1K
                            XBX MADDEN NFL 08
                            WII MADDEN NFL 08
                            NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A
                            360 TWO WORLDS
                            NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION
                            NDS HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL: MAKIN THE CUT
                            360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR
                            PSP MADDEN NFL 08
                            NDS POKEMON PEARL VERSION
                            360 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 08

PS3 Lair = 46.5K
                            Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K
                            Blue Dragon = 53.6K
                            The fun is that the xbox madden beat the wii madden. I'm sure you'll dig that, Asher.

Comment

• 360 in the top and bottom, Wii in the middle. Not bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                                I would hope that xbox would have 2x the number of 90% games, it has, afterall been out twice the time that wii has. And much like you say 2 of the wii games are cube games, only 2 of the 360 games are exclusives, and one of those is going to lose that distinction come november.
                                Academic distinction. While tens of millions of people can play Zelda and RE4, how many gamers can run Bioshock or Gears of War?

You also ignore the HUGE number of 80%+ games the 360 has vs the Wii...apply your "twice as long, twice as many good games" logic to that.

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                                How many non=peripheral games did the 360 have in the July top 10?

How many 360 titles were in June's NPD vs Wii? Peripheral games included.
                                I'm curious why you are asking such inane questions?

Originally posted by asleepathewheel Wonder what the software sales would be like if Wii Sports wasn't a pack in and the wii was say 220. Unfortunately the existence of a pack in means that new purchasers aren't required to buy a game with the system in order to actually use it. If it was a separate purchase, the npd would be more similar to media create with 2 perpetual wii titles in the top 10.
                                Yes, how unfortunate it is that the Wii software sales suck. It's all because of that damned pack-in!!

Comment

Working...
                                X