Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, it has games, just not many good ones.

But at least for now it doesn't seem to matter. And some great looking games are coming.

Comment

• I have purchased 5 that are pretty enjoyable for me.

Strikers
      Super Paper Mario
      SSX Blur
      Zelda
      re4: wii

so that's 6 since late november, which is more than enough to tide me over, over that timespan, combined with a DS and a PC (and a really crazy reallife). I've also rented a few games that I really enjoyed but haven't purchased-kororinpa, trauma center, warioware, may get when prices drop to 20.

I'm hoping that MP3 or BWii is put on mycokerewards, I have enough points for a wii game, but the only 3 they offer are warioware (already unlocked everything through the rental), paper mario, and zelda, both of which I have.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
        Yeah, it has games, just not many good ones.

But at least for now it doesn't seem to matter. And some great looking games are coming.
        its now being said that its installed base has passed the 360. Even allowing for a lower attach rate, it has to be looking attractive for developers.
        Last edited by lord of the mark; August 24, 2007, 16:38.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Yeah I think so too. I'll probably get a wii after SSBB is released.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

Very bad news for Sony, since this is the month of the bad news on 360 reliability, and the PS3 price cut.
            It's not.

Go have a look at the comparative sales of the 360 and PS3 since launch (i.e. track the sales as if both had launched on the same day). The PS3 is about the same as the 360 at this point in its lifespan. Remember, there aren't that many games out for the PS3 yet. When I bought my 360, there were very few games out for the 360, and most of them were crap.

The big problem for Microsoft is that 360 sales have tanked this year. The first two quarters are actually worse than last year. If the PS3 manages to keep increasing sales and doesn't tank, it will be quite interesting. The longer Sony can stay in the game, the better their gamble to wait a year will look.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

It's not.

Go have a look at the comparative sales of the 360 and PS3 since launch (i.e. track the sales as if both had launched on the same day). The PS3 is about the same as the 360 at this point in its lifespan.
              I didnt mean PS3 is domed. Its not. But Sony was dominant last generation, and now its fighting to do slightly better than the 360. And then theres the Wii.

Where are developers headed now, toward the PS3? More PS3 exclusives coming, than otherwise expected, or fewer?

And how will things change when Halo comes out, and when more Wii games come out?

Sony may well pull things out, but i dont think its deniable that these were NOT the July NPD numbers they were hoping for.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams looks classy Just a shame it's the only Wii game I'd consider buying.
                Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

• I look forward to Mario Galaxy.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I didnt mean PS3 is domed. Its not.
                    It's mostly flat, isn't it?
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I didnt mean PS3 is domed. Its not. But Sony was dominant last generation, and now its fighting to do slightly better than the 360. And then theres the Wii.
                      The Wii is at most a peripheral competitor for the PS3. It's in a different league. And by that I don't mean a worse one.

The longer Sony can keep pace, the more it swings to their advantage. They have the superior console, with the superior optical format. I almost went out and bought one on impulse today, but I slept in. I bought a 360 ages ago, when the game selection was about as good as the PS3s is now.

Part of the problem is that both the 360 and PS3 are meant to be more than just consoles, but the 360 is useless for anything other than playing games and playing DVDs. Whoever designed it obviously didn't understand that you can't watch a movie file or listen to music when the jet engine sounds of the fan are drowning out the ambience. It really sucks. I am happy with my 360 except for that reason (and I want to play Hi Def DVDs).

Both of them have major problems though. At least Nintendo had the balls to make a breakthrough product. Anyone could have told you what the PS3 and 360 would be like before they were even designed.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• My view is also that the Wii offers something different and this is looking increasingly like a smart choice. The games still need to come through though. SMG, SSBB & MP3 look great from previews and if they can live up to the hype then the Wii is really set as it will appeal to an even wider group than it does now.

So I'll probably get one (once those games are out). I can't see myself getting a PS3 as with a few exceptions I'll be able to play games on my Xbox or PC

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                          My view is also that the Wii offers something different and this is looking increasingly like a smart choice.
                          Microsoft and Sony seem to have forgotten that children like games. Nintendo really deserve an ovation for what they have done. It's great to see such a venerable company dealing to the nouveau-riche interlopers.

<---- had a Nintendo Donkey Kong Game & Watch in 1983. Played it endlessly.

Nintendo is the Apple of gaming. They seem to be able to see obvious cool things that other companies can't.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Please don't insult Nintendo like that.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Nintendo is the Apple of gaming. They seem to be able to see obvious cool things that other companies can't.
                              Apple sucks. The only good thing they've done is the iPod, and only the design is good about that (iTunes is a nightmare).

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

The Wii is at most a peripheral competitor for the PS3. It's in a different league. And by that I don't mean a worse one.
                                Even in Japan?

IIUC Wii sales are well in excess of past Nintendo console sales.

There are essentially 3 potential sources of those new sales. A. People new to console gaming B. People who in the past bought a Playstation or Xbox, and this gen are going to end up with a Wii as well as one or both of the other consoles. C. Folks who will buy a Wii in lieu of one of the other consoles. (of course there are also varients in terms of timing etc)

I dont know of any public info on the numbers in each category, only anecdotes. and of course a lot of a priori reasoning based on the intrinsic differences of the consoles. Im not sure if that works at the consumer level though. I know one family that bought PS2 early, not cause it was the be and end all of graphics tech in its generation, but cause its what was "cool". They bought 360, and a Wii. I dont know if they have any plans to buy a PS3.

Comment

Working...
                                X