Ufo: Extraterrestrials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ufo: Extraterrestrials

Looks promising but haven't heard much about it?

anyone tried it yet?

matrix games

Edit:

And a bit of a mixed review here
    Last edited by Standup; May 11, 2007, 18:31.

Doesn't sound too good.

For my money I would go with UFO Aftershock, UFO Aftermath or (based on what I've read) UFO Afterlight. All three are by Altar Games and feature a simultaneous action system whereby you set your soldier's orders and then start time running. It pauses when something interesting happens so you can adjust orders and react and takes away much of the tedium of searching a massive map.

I'm currently playing UFO Aftermath. Tis quite fun.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I discussed it a bit in the thread in the paradox subforum here.

It's a very solid game. I only played to demo of the altargames games, but this is much better and not made by the same people at all. Pretty much everyone's qualms about it are fixed through modding too. It is just very well put together. They took X Com and fixed what people had problems with (restocking inventory).
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Restocking inventory is not something I had a problem with. I only wanted a) different ways to win the game and b) humans having an independent research tree (i.e. based on but not relying upon the aliens)
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I read a preview in Cyberstratege (a French strategy video games magazine), where they said Extraterrestrials sounded better than Afterlight, or, rather, more like the original game. Their main critics toward Afterlight was that there were a lot of small details/bugs, so it's hard to compare with Extraterrestrials which is still in beta.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Hmm...Aftershock uses Starforce? That just means that I am not going to touch it.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

This game has nothing to do with the other UFOs such as Afterlight.

It's also not in beta anymore and has been released.
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

The reviews seem quite mixed although there seems to be a lot of good will towards it for recreating Xcom.

It seems a bit unpolished i.e to change screen resolution you have to edit the ini file according to the support forums. On the plus there seems to be a good dialogue in the support forums so I think I might purchase after the few patch or two.

Hmm...Aftershock uses Starforce? That just means that I am not going to touch it.
                That was my first thought although it wasn't clear whether all the games use it? I thought I'd skip the first one anyway as it got the worst reviews.

Comment

Paradox's never used StarForce before, and unless the devs demand it(which I doubt) it doesn't use it.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I just checked Paradox's forums. As you can read in this thread, there's no Starforce in either version given by them.
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

There really aren't bugs in the game.

Modding is easy and there are detailed explanations on what to do. There are also ready built mods that fix basic things people don't like about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        Hmm...Aftershock uses Starforce?
                        It used to. Aftershock is available without starforce now.
                        The newer game, Afterlight, does not use starforce either.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                          It used to. Aftershock is available without starforce now.
                          The newer game, Afterlight, does not use starforce either.
                          Oh. That's much better. Starforce...

Hey Skanky, are you still a bartender or are you back in programming?

Comment

Neither, I work for defence now. Slightly better than serving drunks. Slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                              Neither, I work for defence now.
                              Security guard?

Comment

Working...
                              X