No announcement yet.

The "Vanguard Sucks" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good post, Ralph (I mean the long one further up )

My take on this is a bit different from yours, not so much based on my disagreeing with you, but based on my limited time to play. As a father of 2, which in it self can be a full time thing, and my full time job, my playing time is very limited. Therefore, I like an MMO that is:

1) Soloable to a large degree
    2) Easy to level in
    3) Easy to find groups in when that is what I want

Vanguard is none of these things. That is why I have left the game, and instead turned to LOTRO. If I had ample time, I would probably agree 100% with your, still very valid, points. As things stand, we agree on the issue at hand, but diagree on the finer points. Still a bloody good post, man

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Based on your 3 priorities LotRO might be indeed the game for you. I think it can keep me busy approximately until the end of II quarter, as I'll hit the level cap about when the first free content expansion comes out. After this I likely will give BtS a try, which is coming out precisely then. After I'm for the first time done with BtS (should be September or October) I'll see. If I am in MMOG mood and SOE did a good job, I might give Vanguard a second chance. Alternatively I could return to EQ2 or even EQ for a while. If not, well, the number of other games is legion. Didn't they announce a NWN2 expansion too, if memory serves right?

About Vanguard, after reading the Cancel or stay? thread on Silky Venom I'm sure Vanguard will survive the present crisis. The overwhelming majority of the active players (who must be more dedicated than myself) will stay and a lot who already left, will even resubscribe, anticipating much more polish and a more professional approach to development than Sigil was able to provide. The other fan sites see it similar.

Comment

The real question is are teh MMOs saved?

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
          No, but the point is that they could have been
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Tim from Ctrl-alt-del has the following to say:

Vanguard is now a Sony Online Entertainment product. My sympathies to the Sigil employees that were laid off and not hired back. If you want, you can come work for me. I have a few game ideas. My basement is warm in the winter and cool in the summer, and the chains have fluffly pink lining, so they don't chafe.
            I think it's an idea we could follow ... Asher, I'm sure you could afford a small apartment to put them up in
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'm sure his chains already have fluffy pink lining too.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                As Asmodean said, they could have been. Five years and 30 million $ is enough to make a breathtaking MMOG, given you are a maker and not just a dreamer. Unfortunately, the Sigil management was the latter.

The main flaw of Vanguard is still, that it is not finished. The best thing they could do now, close it down. Failing that, at least merge all servers into a few (I think 2-4). Finish it - and that's the point where SOE is useful. It can be done in 6 months; I believe the recent 3 were lost for the lack of managment. Then reopen fresh servers.

This is pretty much the only condition under what I would consider to resubscribe. The mileage of others may vary.

The development continues with the same staff (albeit reduced in size) and in the same spirit. They work and SOE pays the bills. And cracks the whip when deadlines are due - and this is what the previous environment was obviously lacking. As I said in the first paragraph of my long post, you get the present Vanguard if you let a perfectionist make software. A perfectionist never finishes anything.

Comment

Working...
                X