No announcement yet.

Bleak future indeed for TBS games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw, if it is going to be SMAC 2, I absolutely loved the preparation part of the game Outpost by Sierra. Of course, the rest of the game sucked a fair bit. But the beginning was just awesome, the female speaker, all the deciding of what to bring, how much to bring, what planet, etc. Brilliant; please please implement something like that. The preparation, the setting up part of games is what I think makes them so good (Civ for example).
    be free

Comment

Yeah, but I think that Outpost 2 was worse.

You also got to love the Mars track.

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

For old times sake, I installed Outpost (the first one). Just want to see how far we've come from that game. I still love the technologies you could discover/invent; I think they were well thought out.
        be free

Comment

What's BtS?
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
          Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
            No, they're scripted. The closest thing is the battles in Stars!
            Or the auto-battles in Space Empires 2
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
              What's BtS?
              Beyond the Sword, I guess. the next Civ 4 xpack, IIUC.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                What's BtS?
                OMG!!!! Lemmy sighting
                Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

IIUC.
                  You do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                    Stefu suggested a post-apocalyptic TBS a few years ago. That'd be good.
                    has anyone made a post-apocalyptic TBS? I once played a civish board game, Avalon Hill, I think, called "After the Holocaust" about a post nuclear exchange North America. It had some clever features.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      has anyone made a post-apocalyptic TBS? I once played a civish board game, Avalon Hill, I think, called "After the Holocaust" about a post nuclear exchange North America. It had some clever features.
                      There were Car War 2000 and Car War 2000. You can find them at abandonware sites. Runs under DOS but you should be make them run under Windows. Quite nice for its time.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

There were Car War 2000 and Car War 2000.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

UR sighting!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

There were Car War 2000 and Car War 2000.
                            Was the second one of those thoughtless clones?

Comment

Hm, sorry

The second one should be Car War Europa
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Civ 2 had a pretty fun post apocalyptic senario. I'm sure some of the Civ IV modders could do a decent job, although it would require a lot of work graphically, and a lot of imagination to come up with new techs. I suppose a bulk of the new techs could be to restore earth's ecology.
                                Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Working...
                                X