PC gaming not domed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC gaming not domed?

sales in first two months of 2007 up 48% over first two months of 2006, per NPD.

And as the NYT doesnt quite mention, this in the face of a new gen of consoles, one of which, the 360, has a big bunch of high selling games.

Is it all WoW Xpacks?

Discuss.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Was going to say, how much of it was WoW.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It will be doomed eventually....sadly

Because the PC lends itself far more easily to the type of games that I like. The possibilities regarding interface are just so much bigger in the PC in any type of console yet on the market.

If and when that changes in the future, I am willing to jump from PC's to consoles, but until then, consoles really don't interest me.

Asmodean
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I'm hoping the Wii will change things. The next generation of consoles down the road will hopefully feature interfaces more up to par with the PC.

Comment

You're crazy if the low-resolution Wii will bridge the PC-console gap...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            Was going to say, how much of it was WoW.
            a 48% increase? its not like WoW had zero sales in jan and feb 2006 (note this is SW alone, NOT subscription revenue)

Can WoW and its Xpacks really account for well over 1/3 of PC SW sales, subscriptions excluded?

actually in March Wow:BC was outsold by, you guessed it, the latest Sims xpack (Spikey in 1 . . . , 2 . . )

Its probably Wow, the Sims, C&C, Stalker, Supreme Commander, and maybe even some smaller titles.
            Last edited by lord of the mark; April 24, 2007, 13:42.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Kloreep
              I'm hoping the Wii will change things. The next generation of consoles down the road will hopefully feature interfaces more up to par with the PC.
              why would you want to change things? Despite the above numbers (assuming they hold the rest of the year) consoles are still fairly dominant.

Comment

PC gaming will not die anytime soon - there are too many genres that just work better on the PC. There is some attempt to make inroads into the RTS & MMO markets for instance on consoles, but not sure yet how successful they will be.

Comment

We have had a similar growth here in Norway. The sole reason is the WoW XP.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                    why would you want to change things? Despite the above numbers (assuming they hold the rest of the year) consoles are still fairly dominant.
                    ?

I'm assuming that consoles will indeed remain a large force. Which is why I expressed hope that they will move beyond analog sticks and start including things more akin to mice in the future. The Wii has already broken the mold and provided an alternate controller, thus hopefully we will have even better devices that can challenge the PC in the future, perhaps as soon as the next generation of consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloreep

?

I'm assuming that consoles will indeed remain a large force. Which is why I expressed hope that they will move beyond analog sticks and start including things more akin to mice in the future. The Wii has already broken the mold and provided an alternate controller, thus hopefully we will have even better devices that can challenge the PC in the future, perhaps as soon as the next generation of consoles.
                      Im still not understanding. The PC is very challenged. Its been losing share for years. Thats why this story is so surprising.

Comment

Oh no, not this again. Shame on you, Lord of the mark
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I think non mmo PC games are doomed (not domed). Single player games are doomed for sure.

MMO's will continue to thrive on the computer. From what I get, those games would be nearly impossible to play on a console. There are too many buttons to push. You need a full keyboard. Though I suppose they could come out with a controller with 20 or 30 hotkeys for games such as that.

Comment

think non mmo PC games are doomed (not domed). Single player games are doomed for sure.

MMO's will continue to thrive on the computer. From what I get, those games would be nearly impossible to play on a console. There are too many buttons to push. You need a full keyboard. Though I suppose they could come out with a controller with 20 or 30 hotkeys for games such as that.
                            And why in the hell do you believe that? Just because being doomed is cool? You don't have a shred of evidence, you know.

Oh, and look at this...

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Not to mention all console MMORPGs I know of support fullsize keyboards as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X