things that don't make sense in gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike
    The main one is that the core development teams capable of doing such a game have had other fish to fry.

A key point was when the decision was made to go with WC3 and not SC2. Blizzard essentially decided they had won the Sci-Fi RTS war (which they had, crushingly in MP terms in particular) and wanted to capture a slightly different market. They cannibalized less of their own success going with WC, particularly given the hero elements offer different MP gameplay.

Then it became clear the money going forward was in MMOs. They no doubt figured they already have the top 2 MP RTS games and SP sales probably didn't look worth taking resources from WoW.

Ultimately a sequel to SC is inevitable, the only question is how long can SC last. It's almost a decade old - it's almost inconceivable in today's eye-candy dominated world that a game that looks so abysmal still has the pull it does. A true testament to its genius.

That's why I say it might be a non RTS game set in the SC universe next. It's total speculation based on nothing but if I were Blizzard for my next non-WoW related game I would make an updated hack and slash style game set in the SC universe. Or they could revive Ghost, again.
    Rumours now abound of a new MMO, and there might be an announcement in mid May. Maybe in the SC universe?

Comment

I doubt Blizzard would make another MMO anytime soon. Another expansion pack for WoW is more likely, IMO.

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

i guess u are right. they were shying away with making sc2 by trying to satisfy ppl with starcraft:ghost...

SC2 probably will never come out. I mean the expectation in the MP community would be just too huge. And the oldness of SC isnt really a factor for people drawn by the competitive gameplay SC offers.

i dont remember how many times ive bought TFT and SC... i just keep playing those games on and off again... and everytime i lose the cdkey or somethign happens to it. (a noob friend who just got interested in DoTa for ex. needs a cdkey etc) and its one game i dont mind buying over and over again....

but i should really stop losing that damn cdkeys.

blizzard probably still cashes in on the officially held tournaments in korea alone... im pretty sure they wont just allow all those tournament with big audiences arent airing copyrighted materials just for free...
        :-p

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
          Compare this to Civ4. Civ4 has a far smaller distinction between races - instead of the entire unit set being unique, only a single unit is unique to each race/civ, and the same for buildings (in warlords). Yet ... Civ4 civs are far less balanced than StarCraft races; you need only go into the MP lobby and start an 18 player game with "choose your race, duplicates allowed". If you get more than 6 civs total, I'll be surprised (assuming people understand the duplicates allowed part). Although some people have their own odd favorites, there is clearly an imbalance in the civs - and that's after nerfing some of the more significant.
          Of course, much of this is by necessity. The core gameplay concepts of Starcraft are intertwined with the unique aspects of each playable race. Make the Terran, Zerg and Protoss all the same and Starcraft loses a lot. Take away the differences between Civs in Civ 4 and you lose... much less, we'll say. The focus for Civ 4 was on the core gameplay, the differences between civs is secondary. Plus, of course, balancing 30+ playable factions is more difficult than 3.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
            I doubt Blizzard would make another MMO anytime soon.

Well that's the rumour. Of course, if could be tosh.

Nice cartoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Shafer

Of course, much of this is by necessity. The core gameplay concepts of Starcraft are intertwined with the unique aspects of each playable race. Make the Terran, Zerg and Protoss all the same and Starcraft loses a lot. Take away the differences between Civs in Civ 4 and you lose... much less, we'll say. The focus for Civ 4 was on the core gameplay, the differences between civs is secondary. Plus, of course, balancing 30+ playable factions is more difficult than 3.
              Nice. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Comment

3 races of starcraft is balanced by near decade of patching, w/ quadzillion matches played over bnet utilizing every new tricks, strats and exploits they find over time. Even then, it is very apparent that some matchups are in one race's favor. It would be virtually impossible to make 30 factions, no matter how small the difference is, balanced...
                :-p

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                  I doubt Blizzard would make another MMO anytime soon. Another expansion pack for WoW is more likely, IMO.

why aren't people peeing playing world of warcraft. When you take the wind riders is the best time. . Some of those trips take forever.

Comment

Working...
                  X