Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bethesda buys Fallout IP

From Joystiq:

According to an SEC report filed today, the revered Fallout franchise has been sold to Bethesda Softworks, currently in the midst of developing Fallout 3. Uncovered by Fallout fansite, No Mutants Allowed, the document states that the radioactive IP was purchased from Interplay for the princely sum of $5.75 million -- roughly a mountain's worth of post-apocalyptic bottle caps.

This change of ownership sees original IP-holder, Interplay, becoming a licensee to Bethesda and paying the Elder Scrolls developer a 12% royalty on net sales derived from an upcoming (and still entirely nebulous) Fallout MMO. Interplay's license requires them to begin development within two years of the date of agreement, secure a minimum of 10,000 subscribers and offer a product that complies with "the quality standards of Bethesda."

Obtaining the Fallout IP certainly reflects positively on Bethesda's dedication to the franchise -- it's their property they risk messing up now -- and highlights plans well beyond "Morrowind with Mutants." (Next, would someone be so kind as to rescue the Freespace IP from Interplay?)
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

...and Duke Nukem is coming out next week.

Comment

It's true right? It better be true... I just hope they don't screw this one up. I would rather Blizzard took on this project..
      be free

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
        ...and Duke Nukem is coming out next week.
        Whaaa-aaat??
        Damn.
        I've been waiting on that.

I would rather Blizzard took on this project..
        Don't know about that one. Blizzard does what they do very very well but that hasn't really included too many serious rpg's.
        I'd probably enjoy whatever they put out as a fallout-based hack'n'slasher but I wouldn't want it in place of another Fallout.

Comment

It's true - work on Fallout 3 has been going on for a while. It's just the IP they have bought now.

But a word of caution - I am 95% certain this will be a reinvention of the earlier Fallout style to bring it more in line with console RPGs. Probably the best to hope for is Oblivion, but if we are really lucky we might get KotOR standard.

Comment

Did consoles send sense of direction out the window?
            be free

Comment

Eh?

Comment

Think about it. If games are being changed to suit consoles, then I guess controls overall are getting worse, since I believe the PC is stronger in terms of game-controlling. (Interface)
                be free

Comment

Well Oblivion controls worked quite well, and even slightly more complex games like KotOR can be pulled off on a console quite well.

Comment

I doubt Fallout 3 will be that great... But when dol we hear something about it? It's been a few years since they mentioned working on the project

But in case Fallout 3 fails, we might be lucky with Afterfall:

This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

It depends on what you're talking about when you say Fallout 3.

IPLY originally begun working on Fallout 3 just after Fallout 2, but it ended up being scrapped.

IPLY again started working on Fallout 3 in 2003 and called the project Van Buren, which also ended up being scrapped.

Bethesda purchased the right to produce Fallout 3 in July 2004, with an option to purchase Fallout 4 and 5. They do not own the entire license, Interplay still does, and Interplay holds the right to online Fallout games (FOOL), Bethesda has now begun pre-production on Fallout 3. "Full production" started in late 2006.

As of the 8th of April 2007, Bethesda owns the full Fallout license, witrh Interplay only retaining a limited right to produce a Fallout MMO.
                      Here's a timeline from NMA for the current FO3 project.
                      12 of April 2007: Interplay sells full Fallout license to Bethesda
                      19 of January 2007: Fallout 3 likely heading to Xbox according to VGN
                      10 of January 2007: New Fallout 3 release date rumour
                      28 of June 2006: Next Gen reports Bethesda working on Fallout 3 alpha
                      6 of June 2006: Joystick takes a look at Fallout 3
                      10 of May 2006: Fallout 3 E3 showing again limited to promotional poster
                      1 of December 2005: Leonard Boyarsky about Troika and Fallout 3
                      30 of May 2005: Fallout 3 wins first E3 award
                      17 of May 2005: Fallout 3 promotional poster at E3
                      30 of November 2004: No Fallout 3 in 2005
                      25 of November 2004: Fallout 3 one of the most anticipated games 2k5
                      13 of August 2004: First Fallout 3 release date
                      12 of July 2004: Bethesda Press Release: Fallout 3 license goes to Bethesda
                      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                      New faces...Strange places,
                      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Well, my hopes for the game have been low, as I really just don't like Bethesda's RPGs all that much. Morrowind and Oblivion looked amazing, seem amazing when you first start them, and then have you bored after the first few hours. I will be greatly saddened if they do Fallout 3 in that same style.
                        I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Here's a screenshot of Van Buren:

This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                            It's true right? It better be true... I just hope they don't screw this one up. I would rather Blizzard took on this project..
                            Thanks but no thanks. I don't want Fallout 3 to be as boring as WoW.
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Morrowind was okay, but I feel they took a step downwards with Oblivion.

I have hope it will be a decent game. The game is in need of updating.

I'm just not sure how it (ranged gun combat) would work in real time. I've never liked archery in morrowind. The enemies close the distance too fast. and you had to learn to run and shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X